Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

Dark Souls DLC thoughts (will contain spoilers)

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 176-200 of 203 posts in this discussion
Posted on Nov 8, 2012 7:07:37 AM PST
Chris... says:
So I used Artorias soul to create the great sword of the abyss which scales with humanity. I upped it to +5 which raised its damage rating to 420. I then consumed 5 humanity just to see how much it would raise the damage but lo and behold the damage actually decreased!! Can someone please explain this to me. This is my first experience with using a weapon that scales with humanity. Why did the damage go down in this case?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2012 7:11:02 AM PST
Congrats!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2012 7:22:40 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 8, 2012 7:25:08 AM PST
...Were you two handing it the first time you looked?

There's no way it would have decreased otherwise unless you lost humanity.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2012 7:26:05 AM PST
Does that sword scale well with high humanity?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2012 7:28:42 AM PST
Him says:
Thanks Capt.

What type of sword ascends to make the Abyss Sword?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2012 7:30:26 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 8, 2012 7:34:35 AM PST
I read it's around 72 extra damage.

Here's what I like about this weapon though:

One-handed R2 is a 360-degree spin.

Two-handed R2 is a somersault that brings the blade swinging down overhead.

The second move sounds like it could be very interesting if used defensively in PvP.

I've been loving the moveset for the man-serpent greatsword. I've always liked this sword but 2 handed it has an excellent moveset. The R2 is a wide sweep (akin to BKGaxe), if you 2 hand+R2 attack you can follow it with an upward R1 attack for devastating damage and ridiculous poise. It's a very different combo that not too many people are familiar with.

You can also roll+R1 and then hit R1 quickly for two fast hits. Combine this with the double handed combo listed above and it's golden.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2012 7:35:45 AM PST
Chris... says:
I don't believe I was two-handing when I checked the stats without any humanity but I really can't say for sure. +5 Abyss Greatsword with no humanity = 420 damage. +5 with 5 humanity in my slot = 416 damage.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2012 7:37:15 AM PST
Chris... says:
Any +10 Greatsword and Artorias' soul.

Posted on Nov 8, 2012 10:59:29 AM PST
I think the humanity scaling cap is 10 humanity, for 72 dmg, which is kinda low? I tried to sword in PVE and didn't like it because of too much risk of falling. Might be good in PVP idk... everyone in PVP I see is using Dex and small weapons

Posted on Nov 8, 2012 11:06:11 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 8, 2012 11:06:39 AM PST
Him says:
When are they going to nerf those damn DLC sorceries? I'm starting to get really sick of these new 'DLC griefers' who use nothing but Dark Orb, Pursuers, etc. and have zero skill otherwise. I was trying to summon my friend to help me with Firesage last night and got invaded 4 times before I could summon him. I was in fire protect garb until the 4th time when I equipped magic protect and grabbed my crystal ring shield. Then I pummeled him off the cliff near the giant worm.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2012 11:10:20 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 8, 2012 11:14:28 AM PST
They aren't that bad, persuers can actually hit the person who casts them if you run towards them and circle around them. You can also make them hit on walls/objects.

Dark Orb can be easily dodged once you're used to the timing.

Dark Beads are the ones you've got to watch out for when close, but even those can be dodged regularly once you've mastered the timing....You've just got to play on the defensive, especially if the opponent has any sort of poise.

I was facing a dark mage with enough poise to withstand one BKGaxe hit, I would hit him once and as I was hitting he would pop off a super strong bead poising me allowing him enough time to setup for another one. He beat me the first time, but I faced him a second time and was able to dodge them and poise him a few times for the kill.

Posted on Nov 8, 2012 11:12:13 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 8, 2012 11:12:22 AM PST
Him says:
I'm not a PvPer though, I was just trying to beat Firesage in NG+. It did feel good to finally push his ass into the lava pit. I hope Centy ate him up.

Posted on Nov 8, 2012 1:01:19 PM PST
Him says:
Sweet, I'm collecting 'no' votes for the weekend...keep 'em coming! Thanks!!

Posted on Nov 9, 2012 6:09:53 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 9, 2012 6:11:04 AM PST
Chris... says:
Ok so I figured out that I must of been two handing the Abyss sword the first time I was comparing stat with and without humanity. Humanity does increase the damage of the sword, which ticked me off greatly when I lost it all when I went through the fog gate that leads to the fight that you're meant to lose against Seathe, withou equipping the ring of sacrafice first.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 6:16:35 AM PST
Lol, I think you have a stalker....

Glad to hear everything is good Chris...How is the double handed R2 attack? Fast?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 6:17:42 AM PST
In all my playthroughs, I have never thought about equipping the ring of sacrifice first...

Mind = blown.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 6:21:50 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 9, 2012 6:22:05 AM PST
Haha!

I typically do now but didn't the first few times. One thing my buddy told me that's useful to know - If you lose all of your souls and are nervous about recovering them then simply put on a ring of sacrifice after you die, that way if you die your souls will still remain.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 6:24:40 AM PST
Chris... says:
I've only used that once and it cracked me up. My toon doing a somersault with a Greatsword literally made me laugh out loud.

Posted on Nov 13, 2012 11:52:49 AM PST
Him says:
I decided to start a brand new game and try to beat the game with a SL1 Pyromancer. I was mucking around in Undead Parish and got invaded. What kind of douchenozzle goes around griefing level 1 players? Luckily, I had found someone to summon and they wasted the invader. Anyway, I'm now heading to Sen's Fortress with my new character after killing Siegmeyer for his Speckled Stoneplate Ring. The hardest part so far was Quelaag...but Mildred buffed up and did a bunch of damage along with my other summoned phantom. I'm also at that same point in NG++ with my SL146 character.

Posted on Nov 13, 2012 1:26:44 PM PST
@Hmph - If you are trying to do a SL1 run then obviously you are doing it as a challenge. What's the point if you are going to summon other player phantoms?
What's going to be your strategy once you reach Anor Londo and beyond? I have thought of doing a SL1 playthrough but it seems like a huge challenge.

Posted on Nov 13, 2012 2:00:05 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 13, 2012 2:02:04 PM PST
Gomb says:
Puffs Ultra Soft and Strong Facial Tissues, 6 Pack of 124-Count Family Boxes (Packaging May Vary)

"When are they going to nerf those damn DLC sorceries? I'm starting to get really sick of these new 'DLC griefers' who use nothing but Dark Orb, Pursuers, etc. and have zero skill otherwise."

- I think I speak for all of us DLC griefers when I say 'cry more'. As soon as they nerf dark beads into the ground we will all trash our mages and go back to playing clerics... and the game will be just as unbalanced as it was in the first year. No matter what build we use, bad players are going to cry about it and From will nerf something way too hard which just leaves something else overpowered. If it weren't for cryers we would have so much more variety in the game like crystal ring shields, ninja flippers, antiquated armor, iron flesh, and all the other stuff you don't see anymore ever.

Posted on Nov 13, 2012 6:55:41 PM PST
I don't think they are nerfing items/spells to hurt the griefers, but to try to maintain balance in the game. Iron Flesh really made the physical boss fights much more of a slug-fest than I believe From was looking for. I kept it up on the first time I faced Gwyn and it was a super easy fight. Many of us cried when they dropped the hammer on CRS, but it was seriously OP.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 4:41:16 AM PST
Hehe, 2 shotting O&S with CRS was so much fun. I might clear the cache on my PS3 save, take it offline only, and start from scratch just to abuse it.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 9:40:55 AM PST
Him says:
Well, Hans, glad to know you're a douchenozzle...I mean griefer. And here's a little something you might like:

Shove this where the sun don't shine

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 9:44:36 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 14, 2012 9:45:02 AM PST
"If it weren't for cryers we would have so much more variety in the game like crystal ring shields, ninja flippers, antiquated armor, iron flesh, and all the other stuff you don't see anymore ever."

So the only way you can grief is to take advantage of whatever item/spell/build is overpowered at the time?

That makes you a skill-less player that picks on the little guy because you can't beat the average PvPer.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  14
Total posts:  203
Initial post:  Oct 29, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 29, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions