Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

VGF Tabletop RPG thread; looking for guinea pigs, I have cookies.

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 76-100 of 1000 posts in this discussion
Posted on Dec 14, 2012 9:03:01 PM PST
Eccentric Cleric? Taken yet?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 9:07:12 PM PST
DVvM says:
Well, it's great to play race/class combos that aren't really designed to be great (Halfling Barbarians, Gnome Paladins, Half-Orc Bards, etc.) but it kind of sucks when you're the peanut butter and mustard combo next to your cohorts who are peanut butter and jelly or peanut butter and chocolate.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 9:17:04 PM PST
I don't think anybody's reserving roles just yet, I just wanted to get a feel for what sorts of roles we'd like to play.

If I had to rank my choices, I'd go with manipulative scoundrel, square fifth wheel, subtle arcane mage, unsubtle divine mage, in-your-face glass cannon, and finally eclectic tank.

Posted on Dec 14, 2012 9:29:16 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 14, 2012 9:31:29 PM PST
DVvM says:
Anybody ever played, or been in a campaign with, a monk in Pathfinder? I've always loved the idea of the class, but the execution has never really been quite right.

If I can play a Changeling, I might play a Changeling Monk.

(Changelings get +2 Wis/+2 Cha/-2 Con, +1 AC, claws, darkvision, and one minor racial trait so it's not really an unbalanced template.)

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 9:38:26 PM PST
Peter Faden says:
Tie Eberron into the campaign and it could be EPIC!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 9:51:10 PM PST
I haven't seen anyone use a monk in PF. Someone in a 3.5 game I was in about 6 years ago used an unarmed one.

Posted on Dec 14, 2012 10:01:42 PM PST
I've never played a ranged class (my sorcerer uses a crossbow when he doesn't want to waste spells on an easy enemy), so I was considering ranger going into Arcane Archer prestige class. I have no idea how long everyone will keep up with this, hopefully a long time, cause AA looks awesome.

If I don't go with that, I'm looking over the ranger archetypes in Ultimate Combat for some alternate ideas.

Posted on Dec 14, 2012 10:02:24 PM PST
We'll need to see what Daft says regarding the use of the race and combat ones.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012 5:08:21 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 15, 2012 5:28:45 AM PST
Man, I step away from the night and this thread kinda explodes a little. The way I always prefer is 4d6, drop the lowest. If, after that, you do not have a stat above 13 prior to race bonus, start over. If you consider Int or Char your dump stat, I fully expect that to be portrayed by how your character behaves.

DVvM, I was referring to races, not classes. Sorry for the screw-up. Nate, I have no issues with using some extended source materials as long as I can find the info for it on the webz to research. If someone is going to be using a weapon/feat/class/etc that is not going by the core books, just let me know. Guys, I'm not trying to hamstring any of your decisions. I'm just wanting to spend a little time absorbing the materials before I let everyone go off of the hook with their kobold dragonblood sorcerer(had one of those and my god it was a riot.)

Edit: Actually, after thinking about it for a little while, I'm kinda ok with using some non-traditional races as long as it isn't unbalanced as I am going to be taking the world and making it my own. DVvM, there will def be some unavoidable combat. However, if players can find a way to get around it, others will obviously be avoidable depending on what happens. I love it when players think outside of the box(and reward accordingly), so adaptability is always a good thing. If your character abhors combat, then play him/her that way.

Fair warning to everyone: Don't expect to have any great advantages by knowing the Monstrous Compendium backwards and forwards. I'm not going into any details here, but lets just say that you will experience things that you will likely not have seen before. I love messing with the PC's. After all, challenge is what makes us grow, right?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012 6:32:14 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 15, 2012 6:33:19 AM PST
"Don't expect to have any great advantages by knowing the Monstrous Compendium backwards and forwards."

As long as the appropriate knowledge skill checks have the appropriate effects. ;P

So can we go ahead and rule out certain races/templates by level adjustment? Since LA is already a sort of pre-built balance factor, we could probably say that any race that has monstrous HD, levels, and/or a level adjustment above some preset threshold could be out (with any possible exceptions having to be run by you). We could probably also just rule out homebrew races period, since those generally are just poorly balanced with core.

Posted on Dec 15, 2012 6:51:47 AM PST
Oh, wow. Feats every two levels? I'm really starting to get the impression that PCs are significantly more powerful in 3.P than they were in 3.5.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012 6:53:20 AM PST
If you're a Fighter, you get a feat every level.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012 6:53:37 AM PST
GUEST!! says:
fighters r OP.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012 6:58:39 AM PST
There's a great Fighter archetype in Ultimate Combat called a cad. It's basically a person who fights dirty, and their bonuses are based on stuff like disarming opponents, fighting with improvised weapons, and their class skills are all DEX rather than STR based.

Posted on Dec 15, 2012 7:16:14 AM PST
Skill checks will obviously still be pertinent, as I wouldn't hamstring you by making your chosen skills worthless. Race is going to depend on balance of abilities and how it advances versus the advancement rate of the 'base' races/classes. It's my experience that many monstrous races give the player an unfair advantage versus other players when taking into account their bonus abilities. DVvM, I'm familiar enough to say that I will allow Aasimar and Tiefling(again, NOT EVIL alignment) without anyone having to ask(pretty sure you had mentioned the Aasimar earlier). If your long-range gameplan involves a race to build upon, such as the dragonblood sorcerer I had mentioned above, just get my nod first.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012 7:35:51 AM PST
GUEST!! says:
Yeah, I remember. Ultimate Combat's got some amazing stuff in it. Still want to do the Arcane Archer with the gunfighter class.

Posted on Dec 15, 2012 7:44:40 AM PST
omg, I can't explain how giddy I am that we're actually going to be doing this. Of course, I'm going to be soaking some money into buying some materials, but it's easily worth it. Why didn't we do this before? Would everyone be ready by the new year to get our first session in? I'm going to the gaming store this evening to pick up some core books and prob going to be grabbing the advanced players guide as there is some talk about some of the classes it offers here in the thread. I know that I CAN read a lot of the stuff on the webz, but it just doesn't feel the same, ya know?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012 8:29:14 AM PST
I agree. Having the books is worth the price.

We need to get Classic in here, she likes this idea.

I can be ready.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012 8:30:15 AM PST
You're going to have to help me along in the beginning. It's been a long LONG time since I've played anything remotely close to this.

Posted on Dec 15, 2012 8:31:07 AM PST
GUEST!! says:
So has this sucker filled up already, or could you use a wizard?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012 8:43:31 AM PST
Sure. I will say I've never been great at remembering all the rules for character gen. My brother helps me with that stuff.

As for playing though, sure!

Posted on Dec 15, 2012 8:48:44 AM PST
"Give me some time to look over the materials. The only thing rules that I'm going to say right now is no monstrous classes until I see how everyone plays as that can be seriously unbalancing to the party dynamic."

Yeah, I can already tell I'm going to like your game. I think the hardest part about being a DM is having to set limits to players (there's a lot of crazy crap out there to play with, some of it unbalancing). The last game I played the DM allowed my friend Mike to play as a wizard who was also a....wait for it: weretiger. Lol. Needless to say the entire game became "The Adventures of the Weretiger Wizard" and the rest of the players got pissed.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012 8:51:09 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 15, 2012 8:51:58 AM PST
GUEST!! says:
I have never played a game with a Weretiger in the party where it ended well. We actually lost two players because of it. The weretiger frenzied and killed the thief, and then we in turn had to put down the weretiger before it killed the rest of us.

But seriously, doods. Gnome wizard, right here. Will torch for Exp.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012 8:52:03 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 15, 2012 8:53:55 AM PST
C'mon in. The more people we have, the better off we'll be when someone has to not attend a session because of real-world stuff. I had assumed that you were going to be joining for a few sessions at least.

This goes for everyone. If there's any interest, I might post updates in an OT thread so others who might be interested can see how it's going. Plus, it doesn't just have to be us. Reach out to others with similar interests. I honestly would not have even thought of this if it wasn't for the way Jason phrased his title to the thread about Crimson Shroud and it morphed into this idea.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012 8:56:33 AM PST
GUEST!! says:
Sweet. I'll draw up Nimble for the group. Ultimate Magic has an elementalist wizard specialization that'll let me create the perfect little pyromancer.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  37
Total posts:  2472
Initial post:  Dec 14, 2012
Latest post:  Aug 11, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions