Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

Kaz Hirai on Vita sales- "Long term is what is important"

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 60 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 8, 2013 8:08:30 AM PST
There you have it, people. Don't judge the Vita's performance until 2017-2022.

http://blogs.wsj.com/digits/2013/01/08/the-world-according-to-sony-ceo-kazuo-hirai/

<snip>

How are PlayStation Vita sales?

"I would say it's on the low end of what we expected," said Mr. Hirai. He noted, however, that it takes 5-10 years before he can say a product has been successful. He said similar questions were asked about the PlayStation 3 early in its cycle, but he now sees that console as a success. "Long term is what is important," he said.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2013 8:09:42 AM PST
While this is an obvious tap dance, history tends to agree with him. Both the PS3 and the PSP weren't really considered "successful" until later in their lives.

Posted on Jan 8, 2013 8:10:40 AM PST
Oskar2525 says:
PSP was a late bloomer and the Vita is a great piece of hardware, so I imagine with a price cut and some time it will do quite well.

Posted on Jan 8, 2013 8:13:34 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 8, 2013 8:14:23 AM PST
He probably used the same argument about his own performance at Sony.

I would like a Vita though, but not at the current price, and definitely not with the current library of games.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2013 8:20:54 AM PST
This does tend to be true for Sony consoles lately. They don't start off the best but they due great in the long run. I sure hope they aren't looking at a 5 year cycle for the Vita to kick off though.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2013 8:41:04 AM PST
Lucanus says:
I agree completely. Though I am shocked there hasn't been a price cut yet. Good post Oskar. :)

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2013 8:43:35 AM PST
Was the PSP ever considered successful though? I'm not trying to start a flamewar or anything, but it seems to be a really niche product, at least in the USA.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2013 8:49:56 AM PST
Lucanus says:
It sold 70+ million, so yeah it was successful. :)

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2013 8:51:20 AM PST
Ah, that must be worldwide numbers?

Posted on Jan 8, 2013 8:51:46 AM PST
got mayo?™ says:
At least the using 'long term' gives me hope it wont become a paperweight after this year.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2013 8:53:27 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 8, 2013 8:54:16 AM PST
Lucanus says:
Yeah, I don't know the break down in each territory, but overall it did very well. The ps3 has yet to sell as well as the PSP, just a reference point, nothing more. :)

Though I have heard software did horrible on the PSP, which made it not overly profitable. I can't really comment though, I don't know the numbers. Sorry about that.

Posted on Jan 8, 2013 8:58:01 AM PST
Vita does need a price cut in March or April to help through the summer, if they have another year like last year with no momentum that could spell the end of Vita support. A $50 price cut and some awesome PS4 intergration will be what saves the Vita and a quality shooter developed buy a quality studio Killzone Mercenary hopefully will really show what the Vita is capable of.

I love my Vita and have had no shortage of games to play on it. Currently playing Rayman Sound Shapes, Wipeout and PS All Stars

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2013 9:01:29 AM PST
Lyrick_ says:
NO, It sold a lot of hardware but software sales world wide were embarassing.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2013 9:13:16 AM PST
MrFoxhound says:
I think it would do well if Sony would just allow third party memory cards.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2013 9:14:32 AM PST
$199 with a built in 4GB of memory and it's flying off shelves.

Posted on Jan 8, 2013 9:19:33 AM PST
M. McFly says:
I guess however i word this it will be a flamer. The ps3 has sold pretty good but after accounting for all its losses and price cuts its never really been profitable. In terms of sales you can say its a success but this guy better start judging products by if they make $$ or lose $$....

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2013 9:26:44 AM PST
Lyrick_ says:
Krazy Kaz Hirai doesn't care about profitability.

He only cares about bringing portable gaming out of the "handheld gaming ghetto",

Riiiiiidge Raaaaaaceeeeeer,

Five-Hundred-Ninety-Nine US Dollars,

and of course

Next generation doesn't start until we say it does

Posted on Jan 8, 2013 9:28:16 AM PST
MrFoxhound says:
"Next generation doesn't start until we say it does "

Now take your standard AV cables and GTFO!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2013 9:43:56 AM PST
Do NOT mock Ridge Racer!

Posted on Jan 8, 2013 10:08:48 AM PST
HorizonBrave says:
So long as they keep pumping new IPs for the Vita it's all fine for me ... gotta promote that creativity in such a stale industry.

Posted on Jan 8, 2013 10:13:02 AM PST
Soulshine says:
Last Guardian will be cross-buy cross-play with Vita. Vita sales will skyrocket within two decades, upon release.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2013 10:26:24 AM PST
Well, I've commented before that I do think that the Vita can be profitable for Sony in the long run. I just wish they would do more for it now instead of banking on what happens a month,a year or two years from now. I do suspect that Sony has plans between the Vita and their next home console (Orbis + Vita = Circle of Life.) However, I don't expect the PS4 until 2014 at the earliest.

What about now? The Vita has the best build quality I have ever seen in a handheld but that isn't enough. You can't just make a quality product and expect to sell it on that alone. You also can't expect people to buy a Vita because great things are coming in a year or two. If Sony wants people to buy a Vita now then they need to give them a reason to do so AND make people aware of the value in that purchase.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2013 10:39:34 AM PST
Chunk says:
According to Wiki, the PSP sold more in the U.S. (17 Million) then in Japan (15 Million)... Whether I believe that or not, I'm not sure, but I would def say the PSP was a successful product.

I'm the consumer that will buy a Vita eventually, but Sony hasn't done anything to entice me into purchasing one. When I see the killer deal/package/bundle on it, I will get one. The clincher for me is if a Mass Effect game hit the Vita...

In the meantime, I will continue to play my PSP and enjoy the games I haven't got to play yet on it until the day comes when I do purchase a Vita.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2013 10:46:40 AM PST
Embarassing? Close to 300 million games worldwide, not counting digital downloads.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2013 10:48:34 AM PST
saskamazon says:
the Sony sponsored BF bundle was an amazing value - $130 worth of freebies, making the Vita itself a $50 purchase - if that didn't incline you to buy one, very likely nothing will ... I don't think it will ever see a better price, unless it's been stolen ....
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  26
Total posts:  60
Initial post:  Jan 8, 2013
Latest post:  Jan 8, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions