Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

OT: Woman fired for racist FB post targeting Obama

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 65 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 9, 2012 7:38:19 PM PST
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/11/09/denise-helms-california-woman-hopes-obama-is-assassinated_n_2104184.html

Posted on Nov 9, 2012 7:45:29 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 9, 2012 7:47:11 PM PST
Breaking news: Crazy racist white fata$$ posts crazy racist things. Suddenly learns there are consequences for actions.

Posted on Nov 9, 2012 7:45:39 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 9, 2012 7:46:39 PM PST
I don't feel sorry for her at all.

Unless she is really dumb, which she very well could be and according to this article is, she should have known that posting something like that would be monitored and looked at as a red flag. Freedom of speech or not.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 7:47:03 PM PST
aidenraine says:
freedom of speech doesn't exist on the internet.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 7:49:48 PM PST
First, freedom of speech doesn't mean that if you act like a jack@$$, people won't judge you as such. Second, talking wishfully about the assassination of the president is never a good idea, unless you're hoping to become special friends with several Secret Service agents.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 7:54:58 PM PST
aidenraine says:
first, I was simply making a statement. freedom of speech doesn't mean you can act like a jack@$$ in real life, either. people just stupidly interpret "freedom of speech" to mean "ha, I can talk and say whatever I want! freedom of speech, loser!". since the internet is not the united states of america, the same rights are not given. privately owned websites can be run however the owner wishes them to be run. second, I never said I agreed with her actions or would do them myself.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 7:55:38 PM PST
What I mean is that it's great that we have freedom of speech in this beautiful country, but some people tend to use it as a crutch and a excuse to say certain things when they really shouldn't.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 8:05:36 PM PST
aidenraine says:
yes. yes they do. mainly because they don't understand exactly what "freedom of speech" entails.

Posted on Nov 9, 2012 8:11:28 PM PST
Voice of god says:
Freedom of speech means I can say whatever I want to anyone I want without suffering any consequences whatsoever, right?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 8:13:54 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 9, 2012 8:19:33 PM PST
Read this....

http://www.uscourts.gov/EducationalResources/ClassroomActivities/FirstAmendment/WhatDoesFreeSpeechMean.aspx

She pretty much screwed her self over by saying the President should be assassinated.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 8:17:27 PM PST
Yung says:
Wrong!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 9:30:19 PM PST
You go girl!

Well said.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 10:05:54 PM PST
AndrewA says:
<<Freedom of speech does not include the right:

To incite actions that would harm others (e.g. "[S]hout[ing] `fire' in a crowded theater.").>>

For those who didn't want to go to the link and look through it. I think advocating an assassination of a person would qualify. This isn't the animus.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 10:10:32 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 9, 2012 10:16:27 PM PST
"For those who didn't want to go to the link and look through it."

You had to go and take all the fun out of it.

Posted on Nov 9, 2012 11:12:25 PM PST
Dukeshire says:
Ahh America. Here is what I got out of this:

1. Facebook photos are not at all representative of the real thing.
2. The less educated you are, the more ignorant, stupid and racist you are. Hence why she used to work at Stone Cold Creamery. A job that requires a lot of intelligence and education.
3. Anytime someone drops a racist word on the Internet, gets caught, and then is fine with it but then claims they have a lot of minority friends is indeed a racist, really stupid and a liar: "I hate Asians, but I have many other minority friends, and I know lots of.....Asians!""
4. I hope to everything sweet and holy in this world that this thing does not breed. But I bet my meager paycheck that she has at least two kids. And not only does she milk the government, she is also a really crappy mom. Those poor children.
I

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 11:41:39 PM PST
Anthony says:
considering that when my grandmother wrote an angry letter to the president about my grandfather getting screwed out of his retirement after 2 wars and 17 years in the Marine Corps, she got a letter back informing her she was now on the Secret Service watch list, i think this moron is going to be watched for quite awhile.

Posted on Nov 10, 2012 12:53:54 AM PST
Donkey Punch says:
I hope someone punches her in the face.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 10, 2012 5:25:17 AM PST
I don't know, man. Yeah, she's a braid of fettid taint fur, but I don't think that speaking out in the course of one's personal life should get one fired from their job. If she did this AT WORK, I could understand it. I just really don't like the idea of companies being able to fire us over crap we post on facebook.

Posted on Nov 10, 2012 5:37:15 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 10, 2012 5:38:07 AM PST
Yeah, its quite sad. I got reprimanded for something I said on Facebook 8 months after the fact. In April 2011, I had a bad day and went home and wrote something along the lines of "man, I just wish I could punch my idiotic co-worker in the face sometimes." Note that I didn't give his name or anything like that.

EIGHT months later, now December 2011, my boss's boss comes to tell me that he saw what I wrote on Facebook, gave me a written warning and told me not to do it again. I guess the saddest part is that they had someone scouting Facebook pages and actually spent the time to read back through EIGHT months worth of posts on my wall.

Needless to say, my profile is now on private and I don't even have my work history or my current employment on my information page.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 10, 2012 5:42:29 AM PST
I've heard that companies are now asking for your facebook page in interviews. I've decided that henceforth I'm just going to tell them I don't have one. "Nope, don't participate in social media."

I mean, everyone lies during the rest of the interview, right?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 10, 2012 5:46:47 AM PST
Yeah, that's crap. It's really none of their business what you do outside of work. Especially if it's a menial factory job or being a pencil pusher. As long as you show up on time, complete your work, do it well, and don't cause problems, it shouldn't matter what your social life is like.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 10, 2012 5:47:48 AM PST
Exactly.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 10, 2012 5:54:40 AM PST
There have been times where I have contemplated just quitting Facebook altogether due to this kind of BS. Plus I also don't like the fact that Facebook opened itself up to the public, whereas it used to be you have to have an .edu address to have an account. To me, its all about keeping relationships with friends and family and talking with them. Nowadays, nobody does that anymore, its just "let's post 5000 supposedly funny pictures that everyone's seen 10 times already" and "let's spam you with political ads."

I dare not even touch that thing called Twitter. That's even more intrusive than Facebook, yet people use it every waking moment of their lives. Sorry bro, I really don't care what's on your mind at 2:35 AM.

/rant

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 10, 2012 5:54:57 AM PST
Thankenzubaz says:
I agree. The thing about free speech is that it is totally meaningless unless we apply it to people we disagree with, no matter how moronic they are (see Fred Phelps). People in dictatorships are "free" to kiss the government's butt all day. Do they have freedom of speech?

We already hand in our so-called rights the minute we clock in, now we can't have them back after we clock out?

Did she say she was planning on killing him herself, or that she just hoped someone would? Big difference, imo. Let the racists spew their hate. It only makes them look bad, and isolates them further.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 10, 2012 6:01:43 AM PST
Thankenzubaz says:
Well, that's a little different since you posted something about work, specifically. If I spent my free time publically trashing my company, and/or the people I work with, then the company would have a point if they were concerned. I mean, you did, sort of, threaten violence against a co-worker.

When I clock out, I do it with my complete being. I don't want to think about work at all. It's the reason I stayed wage all these years. They get one third of my life already, I refuse to give them anymore than that.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Active discussions in related forums  

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  22
Total posts:  65
Initial post:  Nov 9, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 11, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions