Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

Donkey Kong Country trilogy removed from Wii Shop!

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 40 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 20, 2012 7:59:18 AM PST
Jack Pacini says:
I procrastinated too long. Now the three games I needed to complete my collection of what I feel are the SNES's must play titles, are gone. Without warning to US customers (EU apparently got some warning) the much loved DKC trilogy is gone. Great, guess I STILL can't get rid of my yellow, grungie looking SNES. Why Nintendo Why?

Posted on Nov 20, 2012 8:00:20 AM PST
FOGE says:
HD collection coming?

Posted on Nov 20, 2012 8:00:42 AM PST
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2012 8:07:42 AM PST
Jack Pacini says:
It was there last week. Go to buy them this morning, before saying the final goodby to my Wii, (got the Wii U) and they are gone. Sorry if I don't check the Wii Store hourly.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2012 8:10:03 AM PST
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2012 8:12:06 AM PST
Jack Pacini says:
OK sorry I don't check the Wii Shop daily.... Sheesh.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2012 8:17:18 AM PST

Posted on Nov 20, 2012 8:20:31 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 20, 2012 8:22:02 AM PST
Why not just use ROMs and your SNES controller on your computer? They sell adapters here on Amazon. If you own the carts, there isn't even an ethical dilemma.
Some emulators even have up-conversion options to make the games look better on newer screens.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2012 8:21:34 AM PST
Jack Pacini says:
A little heads-up from Nintendo would have been nice. Yes there is need for me to get "pissy". European customers got some warning, even though they removed them sooner that stated, EU customers knew they were going. US customers had no clue until they were gone. Also there is no guarantee they are coming to Wii U either.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2012 8:22:13 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Nov 20, 2012 8:23:45 AM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2012 8:23:56 AM PST
It isn't piracy if you actually own the carts, and that's what you implied when you said you'd have to keep your "yellow, grungie looking SNES."

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2012 8:24:17 AM PST

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2012 8:26:07 AM PST
It's only legal if you pull the ROMs from your own cartridges. Downloading ROMs from an unauthorized source on the Internet is illegal whether you own the cartridges or not.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2012 8:26:23 AM PST
Jack Pacini says:
Yes it is.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2012 8:27:41 AM PST
Jack Pacini says:
Still not a guarantee. Besides what if I want them they way they were originally? Not some HD remixes.

Posted on Nov 20, 2012 8:28:19 AM PST

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2012 8:29:38 AM PST
Then you get the cartridges, a Wii with those games on it or you're out of luck.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2012 8:33:13 AM PST
Jack Pacini says:
Go to H3LL!

Posted on Nov 20, 2012 8:37:06 AM PST
Biohazard says:
So wait did they make it so you can't get certain games on the original Wii VC anymore or what?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2012 8:43:09 AM PST
My tears flow freely for you in H3LL

Posted on Nov 20, 2012 8:50:15 AM PST
http://www.copyright.gov/title17/92chap12.html
http://www.copyright.gov/1201/2003/index.html

"No person shall circumvent a technological measure that effectively controls access to a work protected under this title."
But there are exceptions, as listed in the second link.
Number 3:
"Computer programs and video games distributed in formats that have become obsolete and which require the original media or hardware as a condition of access. A format shall be considered obsolete if the machine or system necessary to render perceptible a work stored in that format is no longer manufactured or is no longer reasonably available in the commercial marketplace."

Even if the guy hosting the free ROMs is breaking the law (not sure about that one), you aren't breaking the law if you personally use ROMs for carts you own for obsolete formats. Such as the SNES.

It's pretty much the same as copying a game you own on 3.5" floppy to a CD and using DOSBOX to run it. Since 3.5" floppy is an obsolete format, you aren't violating the intent of the law.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2012 9:20:51 AM PST
It's not illegal to use the roms for games you DON'T own either. It's not illegal to buy or own bootlegs, only to sell them or distribute them, regardless of intent.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2012 9:34:41 AM PST
http://www.nintendo.com/corp/legal.jsp#download_rom

There is a good deal of misinformation on the Internet regarding the backup/archival copy exception. It is not a "second copy" rule and is often mistakenly cited for the proposition that if you have one lawful copy of a copyrighted work, you are entitled to have a second copy of the copyrighted work even if that second copy is an infringing copy. The backup/archival copy exception is a very narrow limitation relating to a copy being made by the rightful owner of an authentic game to ensure he or she has one in the event of damage or destruction of the authentic. Therefore, whether you have an authentic game or not, or whether you have possession of a Nintendo ROM for a limited amount of time, i.e. 24 hours, it is illegal to download and play a Nintendo ROM from the Internet.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/features/help/entry.html?cat=24

Is it legal to download a copy of a game I own?

No. Even if you own the original game, you are not entitled to download a copy of it. Copyright law clearly states that the only copy of software you are entitled to is the one you make yourself.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2012 9:45:49 AM PST
It may not be legal to download a ROM, sure, but the downloadee is not criminally liable until he distributes the ROM to someone else.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2012 9:49:27 AM PST
I'm only addressing the misconception that downloading a ROM from the internet is the same as making a backup of a game you own. It's not.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  13
Total posts:  40
Initial post:  Nov 20, 2012
Latest post:  Apr 4, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions