OT: Wal-Mart Workers Threaten Black Friday Strike

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 36 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 16, 2012 12:03:21 PM PST
Dukeshire says:
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/wal-mart-workers-black-friday-110048819.html

Wal-Mart Workers' Black Friday Strike

BusinessWeekBy Elizabeth Dwoskin | BusinessWeek - 8 hours ago

America's biggest retailer may be in for an unexpectedly painful holiday season. Protesting low wages, spiking health care premiums, and alleged retaliation from management, Wal-Mart Stores workers have started to walk off the job this week. First, on Wednesday, about a dozen workers in Wal-Mart's distribution warehouses in Southern California walked out, followed the next day by 30 more from six stores in the Seattle area.

The workers, who are part of a union-backed employee coalition called Making Change at Wal-Mart, say this is the beginning of a wave of protests and strikes leading up to next week's Black Friday. A thousand store protests are planned in Chicago, Dallas, Miami, Oklahoma, Louisiana, Milwaukee, Los Angeles, Minnesota, and Washington, D.C., the group says.

In a conference call with reporters on Thursday, workers who were either planning to strike or already striking explained their situation. "We have to borrow money from each other just to make it to work," said Colby Harris, who earns $8.90 an hour after having worked at a Wal-Mart in Lancaster, Tex., for three years. "I'm on my lunch break right now, and I have two dollars in my pocket. I'm deciding whether to use it to buy lunch or to hold on to it for next week." He said the deduction from his bimonthly pay check for health-care costs is scheduled to triple in January. In 2013, Wal-Mart plans to scale back its contributions to workers' health-care premiums, which are expected to rise between 8 percent and 36 percent. Many employees will forgo coverage, Reuters reports.

Sara Gilbert, a manager who was striking in Seattle, called in on her cell phone: "I work full-time for one of the richest companies in the world, and my kids get state health insurance and are on food stamps," she said.

Along with Target and Sears, Wal-Mart has plans to open retail stores at 8 p.m. on Thanksgiving night. Employees said they weren't given a choice as to whether they would work on Thanksgiving and were told to do so with little warning. "They don't care about family," said Charlene Fletcher, a Wal-Mart associate in Duarte, Calif. She said she is expected to report for work at 3 p.m. on Thanksgiving Day. The workers said that when they complain about scheduling and other problems, management cuts their hours or fires people.

With 1.4 million U.S. workers, the Bentonville (Ark.)-based company is the U.S.'s largest private employer. For years, Wal-Mart has been targeted by unions and workers complaining about low wages, scant benefits, and retaliation against those who speak out.

Until now, the company has crushed attempts by employees to organize. So it's unusual that Making Change at Wal-Mart has been able to organize a number of strikes-the first in the company's history, they say. The first strike occurred in Los Angeles in October. That strike spread to 28 stores in 12 states, organizers say.

In an e-mail, Wal-Mart spokesman Kory Lundberg called the strike "just another exaggerated publicity campaign aimed at generating headlines to mislead" the retailer's customers and employees. "The fact is, these ongoing tactics being orchestrated by the UFCW are unlawful and we will act to protect our associates and customers from this ongoing illegal conduct," he wrote, referring to the United Food and Commercial Workers International Union.

The workers intend for next week's protests to be much bigger. They say their goal is not to shame the company, but to improve conditions. "Wal-Mart needs to know," said Harris, "that if we didn't want to work with them, we would have quit."

Yet the strikes-timed to coincide with the holiday shopping rush-are clearly intended to put pressure on the company during the busiest time of the year, when Wal-Mart most needs its employees. Holiday cheer is a tough sell if your workers are picketing in the parking lot.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 12:05:19 PM PST
That Emu Kid says:
No! I need my $25 Just Dance 4 and the ad says in-store only!

Posted on Nov 16, 2012 12:05:26 PM PST
EggNogJam says:
"Until now, the company has crushed attempts by employees to organize."
Quick! Someone check the Hound's Pit Pub!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 12:06:42 PM PST
Dukeshire says:
I got Dance Central 2 for 15 bucks last year!

Posted on Nov 16, 2012 12:06:59 PM PST
SMH says:
42 people from 7 locations? It doesn't sound like these people represent a significant force here.

Posted on Nov 16, 2012 12:07:20 PM PST
Gamestop says:
We are going to murder the competition this year. We already have people queuing up in line outside our most popular locations.

Posted on Nov 16, 2012 12:07:41 PM PST
In related news, Lots (if not all) Target stores will open at 9pm on Thanksgiving.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 12:07:55 PM PST
That Emu Kid says:
Queuing up? What are you, British? Go back to amazon.co.uk!

Posted on Nov 16, 2012 12:09:19 PM PST
Kendahl says:
Dang...Sara Gilbert is working at Walmart now? How far has she fallen since Roseanne?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 12:09:43 PM PST
EggNogJam says:
Goddamn lobsterbacks. Did AC3 have no effect?

Posted on Nov 16, 2012 12:25:02 PM PST
Mel says:
Wal-Mart: The High Cost of Low Price

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 12:26:20 PM PST
Jawwaad says:
They have been playing that on cable lately and it is really good. I didn't realize how shady Walmart was.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 12:27:51 PM PST
Mel says:
I know all about it, I worked there :D

I can't believe the stuff they make the managers do to the employees, close to selling your soul

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 12:28:29 PM PST
Uncle Ulty says:
Maybe Wal-Mart is behind the controlled demolition of World Trade 7? Hrmm, its all coming into place!!!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 12:29:42 PM PST
Mel says:
might as well be, all the evidence was destroyed "prior" to an investigation, lol

Posted on Nov 16, 2012 12:30:30 PM PST
Mel says:
Government don't shred documents, waste of time
melt the building!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 12:31:23 PM PST
Jawwaad says:
Target isn't really any different. I really don't see how people survive only working at that job.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 12:36:04 PM PST
Mel says:
an uninsured married couple "both" working at target full time with no kids can survive quite easily

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 12:37:58 PM PST
When I did a holiday season at Target I made extra money servicing the unsatisfied housewives in the parking lot.

Posted on Nov 16, 2012 12:38:09 PM PST
Well as long as they have self checkout lines open it should all workout just fine. I was once told by some fool of a sales manager to be at work when I was asking for the day off and even if I told them some other person can cover for me they still did not want me of so I took it off anyways after quitting their store.

Posted on Nov 16, 2012 12:43:23 PM PST
Tomorrow's headline: "42 Walmart workers mysteriously disappear! No investigation pending." With a picture of the town sheriff counting $100 bills.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 12:44:18 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 16, 2012 12:46:24 PM PST
MrFoxhound says:
We are the >.00003%!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 12:45:09 PM PST
Anthony says:
i wouldn't be surprised to find out that wal-mart fired all of them and replaced them.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 12:45:56 PM PST
With robots?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 12:47:43 PM PST
Anthony says:
Ninja Pirate Robots!
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  18
Total posts:  36
Initial post:  Nov 16, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 16, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions