Valve-backed living room PC system debuts today

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 56 posts in this discussion
Posted on Jan 8, 2013 10:24:36 AM PST
JJ4prez says:
"Put the money towards upgrades or new micro build and benefit 10 fold."

This, micro build for the win.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2013 9:42:55 AM PST
You shouldn't allow her to watch crappy romantic comedies in the living room. Or something. :-)

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2013 9:41:41 AM PST
Exactly my thoughts.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2013 9:25:12 AM PST
Rumors point to E3.

Posted on Jan 8, 2013 9:19:02 AM PST
MrFoxhound says:
So are they going to reveal the Steambox today or are they waiting until E3 and the media got us hyped for those Xi3 machines that aren't the Steambox?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2013 9:06:56 AM PST
Lyrick_ says:
Unfortunately that didn't work in the past. The 3DO was licensed to three or four hardware manufacturing companies. Console hardware today tends to need to be sold at break even prices for subsidized by software and licensing sales to achieve a price which consumers won't repel.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2013 8:55:37 AM PST
Likely spot on...

The more "Living-room PCs" we see the better though. Drive the price down.

It's like if 3-4 companies made the 360 or PS3, we'd see console prices drop like a stone due to competition.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2013 8:52:53 AM PST
GUEST!! says:
"I wonder what iBuyPower is releasing tonight."

Substandard knockoff parts held together in a snazzy looking tinfoil case propped up with duct tape.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2013 8:52:03 AM PST
I agree. I'm very interested in seeing more from them.

I wonder what iBuyPower is releasing tonight.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2013 8:51:25 AM PST
So it's a handheld 6xOuya?

Sold.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2013 8:48:20 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 8, 2013 8:50:35 AM PST
got mayo?™ says:
I'm just saying i'd personally tackle the project of building something as small and powerful as possible for less or same than what could potentially be the entry fee.

I'm under no illusion that Valve plans to sell hardware at a loss. If they did, then hell yes. Bring it on.

The most lucrative thing about a Steambox would obviously be a wireless, attractive proprietary controller.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2013 8:47:20 AM PST
Lyrick_ says:
Except it has a "next gen" Tegra 4 processor, where the Ouya has a Tegra 3. With the Tegra 4 nVidia advertises 6x the performance increase over the Tegra 3 which they also believe approaches Xbox 360 levels of gaming performance.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2013 8:40:26 AM PST
Oh, my wife won't allow me to put my PC anywhere but in the depths of our basement or in a tiny corner of our office. Being able to play my entire Steam library in my family room would be nice.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2013 8:39:01 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 8, 2013 8:39:51 AM PST
got mayo?™ says:
Oh, i'm talking about the 'Steambox' in general.

The handheld is great. It serves just an extension of your PC gaming, and it is niche focused.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2013 8:37:22 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 8, 2013 8:37:40 AM PST
By using pure Android it's basically a hand held Ouya isn't it?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2013 8:36:35 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 8, 2013 8:37:58 AM PST
got mayo?™ says:
I just don't get the purpose of buying it if you already own a PC?

Put the money towards upgrades or new micro build and benefit 10 fold.

So i'm curious how they'll market this thing to newcomers to Steam. I want to believe that casuals, heck most dont even use a PC anymore, are not familiar with Steam. So i'm curious how Valve will market this 'brand' to a wider market and to what extent.

I'm perhaps sounding skeptical, but i'd love for this to succeeed. Just trying to put things in perspective.

Posted on Jan 8, 2013 8:28:38 AM PST
It sounds cool, but I'm not sure that many people will really buy it.

Just gonna wait and see.

Posted on Jan 8, 2013 6:24:58 AM PST
Mel says:
20 watts is very very nice

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2013 6:14:26 AM PST
JJ4prez says:
Thankfully, I am interested to see how it comes out.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2013 6:11:13 AM PST
MrFoxhound says:
Thankfully, this isn't Apple we're talking about.

Posted on Jan 8, 2013 6:09:11 AM PST
I posted another thread. None of the listed models in this thread are the rumored "Steam Box".

http://www.amazon.com/forum/video%20games/ref=cm_cd_fp_ef__np?_encoding=UTF8&cdForum=Fx1T1DM93QU4XL1&cdPage=1&cdThread=Tx3QP4J639NSM2L#CustomerDiscussionsNew

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2013 6:09:06 AM PST
JJ4prez says:
Why are we bringing up consoles again? The Steambox is not a console, it's a PC with an easier template than a standard builders PC. I am not arguing consoles vs PC or anything of that nature. If this thing is priced relatively high for what's in it then I will just laugh.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2013 6:05:10 AM PST
JJ4prez says:
If the 600 dollar model is going to have 4GB RAM, i3 cpu, and an intel HD 3000 gpu, then I beg to differ lol.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2013 6:04:21 AM PST
got mayo?™ says:
If priced right, i'd agree.

Its an 'attactive' option if only by form factor. Factor in this 'video calibration' Nvidia is working on that will pretty much autoset the hardware for optimal performance, we could be talking about a console-like experience on that side of things.

Only thing that concerns me is that we know what a 650'ish GPU is capable of...and its not quite a Crysis 2 at 1080p stable performance. So this Nvidia Experience setting has to be pretty good to ensure everyone gets a playable performance.

Also, upgrade paths. Will an upgrade to say a GTX670M or GTX680M cost the equivalent of the dedicated GPU ?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2013 5:59:27 AM PST
Rockhardly says:
"So far it's terrible news? Why would you spend so much money on a 'grapefruit' sized PC (that's just a PC) when you can build something for much cheaper and it will be better?"

In other words, why would someone buy a console? They've been doing it for years - and they've become so popular that in the past few years people have begun to think that PC gaming was dead.

I went through the amount of money I've spent on my PC and games for it vs. consoles and games, and compared the number/quality games on both - and found that even with regular video card upgrades, I've found that - on a "per AAA game basis" (because it's not fair to claim 10 $1 games on a PC vs. 1 $60 game on a console if they aren't comparable) - I've spent less money on PC gaming.

Consoles are marketed to the people who don't want the config headaches of PCs as well as for people who don't recognize that they pay for the price break they get on console hardware with being forced to over-pay for accessories, subscriptions, and over-priced games. Over time, a console gamer will sink much more money into their gaming than a PC gamer - that's part of the reason the market has been heading towards the console side for a while.

Anyway - all my opinion, of course, but I recommend that anyone that plays both go through an honest assessment of how much $ each has costed you - it might surprise you.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  14
Total posts:  56
Initial post:  Jan 7, 2013
Latest post:  Jan 8, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions