Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

New Xbox 720/Durango leaked details point to always online disc-less gameplay

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 104 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 21, 2013 3:54:58 AM PDT
Kin-foot says:
http://gamer.blorge.com/2013/03/21/new-xbox-720durango-leaked-details-point-to-always-online-disc-less-gameplay/

Rumors of the next gen Xbox console have all alluded to Microsoft's plan for an always connected device. There is some controversy around this feature, especially amongst those believing Microsoft will implement some sort of DRM scheme.

According to Edge and VGLeaks, fresh documents leaked reveal that the Xbox Durango will be "always on, always connected." This is detailed in the `Durango Hardware Overview' document that accompanies the console SDK. VGLeaks has a screenshot of the document along with shots showing the SDK installation process.

Edge's insider sources have confirmed that the screenshots are indeed real, confirming Microsoft's plan for an always online console. The Durango will make use of a low power state feature to allow for the system to be always on as well.

The console will be ready instantly when users want to play, and will always maintain a network connection so that console software and games are always current. With this "Always On, Always Connected" design, users will quickly and easily enjoy their connected entertainment experiences, with no waiting for the console to restart or install games.

The leaked document also confirms rumors indicating that while the Durango will have a Blu-ray drive, games cannot be played straight off the disc as it will have to be installed to hard drive first. The good news is apparently, gamers will be able to start playing the game as it starts the install process like Steam.

While the Xbox Durango may very well force gamers to always be connected online, it may not be designed to block used copies of the game. According to the document, the intent of the always online requirement is to update and patch automatically. It does open the door for publishers to block gamers with used copies if desired.

Posted on Mar 21, 2013 3:57:36 AM PDT
WeaKeN says:
doomed.

Posted on Mar 21, 2013 4:07:37 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 21, 2013 4:09:54 AM PDT
Dj Chiszle says:
Always connected would really help them since it's hundreds of thousands of fully hacked systems out there and millions of copies of pirated games being played, even though people rarely go from pirating a game to paying $60 for it. Regardless I wouldn't buy one if it was always online or not

If they forced every system to always be online all the time the next Xbox would do just as good as the Apple Pippin or the Atari Jaguar. Well they would have Halo at least I guess

Posted on Mar 21, 2013 4:09:20 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 21, 2013 4:09:39 AM PDT
Cats Go Nyan says:
"The Durango will make use of a low power state feature to allow for the system to be always on as well."

I can see why they would do something like this, you don't turn your computer off every time you're done using it.

And also to keep spying on us when we're not playing.

Posted on Mar 21, 2013 4:09:52 AM PDT
WeaKeN says:
if you have to be online to play any game, the console is done for.

Posted on Mar 21, 2013 4:16:24 AM PDT
Lucanus says:
I have a hard time believing Microsoft is that stupid.

Posted on Mar 21, 2013 4:42:15 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 21, 2013 4:42:53 AM PDT
got mayo?™ says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 21, 2013 4:44:00 AM PDT
MrFoxhound says:
New Kinect slogan:

"We're watching"

Posted on Mar 21, 2013 4:59:17 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 21, 2013 5:04:06 AM PDT
got mayo?™ says:
"Durango will implement *different power state(s)*<plural> so that it *CAN* always be powered on, but will draw minimal electricity when not in use," the document reads. "The console will be ready instantly when users want to play, and will always maintain a network connection so that console software and games are always current. With this "Always On, Always Connected" design, users will quickly and easily enjoy their connected entertainment experiences, with no waiting for the console to restart or install games."

OMG i can't shut my XboxZ off?!!

So the obvious: Whilst in this 'on mode' it will remain with internetz connection similar to 'backround downloads PS+' or Remote Play enabled PS3.

Reading is fundamental.™

Posted on Mar 21, 2013 5:09:07 AM PDT
C. Zajic says:
"While the Xbox Durango may very well force gamers to always be connected online, it may not be designed to block used copies of the game. According to the document, the intent of the always online requirement is to update and patch automatically. It does open the door for publishers to block gamers with used copies if desired."

I bet you EA is rubbing their greasy hands together going "That's what we want you to think but just try to play a used copy of (insert EA game here)" .
To me "always on" also goes hand in hand with "you must be online to play the game".

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 21, 2013 5:11:11 AM PDT
WeaKeN says:
i'm pretty sure everyone understands that. the question is, do you have to be online to play a game?

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 21, 2013 5:24:13 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 21, 2013 5:24:52 AM PDT
got mayo?™ says:
That sounds like it would be up to individual the publisher, no? If EA choses to be a prick, they won't stop just at the Xbox.

Once the game is running off your HDD you should be able to like any other digital game...online/offline.

The reason for the mandatory installations is to remove the data access speed issues for developers- something that has always been a bottleneck on console-the optical drive.

Posted on Mar 21, 2013 5:27:31 AM PDT
JJ4prez says:
The PS4 is sounding better everyday, can't wait!

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 21, 2013 5:27:42 AM PDT
Cats Go Nyan says:
That would end up being trouble for EA if the PS4 doesn't have a way to do the same thing. I can't see a publisher as big as them favoring a particular system like that.

Posted on Mar 21, 2013 5:28:21 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 21, 2013 5:30:06 AM PDT
"The good news is apparently, gamers will be able to start playing the game as it starts the install process like Steam. "

Starts =/= finishes

....Dafuq?

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 21, 2013 5:29:28 AM PDT
You've heard of the Zune and Windows 8 right?

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 21, 2013 5:31:01 AM PDT
I would say Ubisoft games will require this. They're well known for adding that to their PC games.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 21, 2013 5:31:09 AM PDT
Gameresq says:
This is exactly the question

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 21, 2013 6:02:34 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 21, 2013 6:03:44 AM PDT
got mayo?™ says:
Who charges you for online passes on used games now or to connect to their 'account' in order to play ?

THQ is now gone. That leaves the other usual suspects as potential offenders (Sony, EA, Ubisoft...)

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 21, 2013 6:03:30 AM PDT
JJ4prez says:
And office 365, and the whole pay a monthly fee to have an xbox.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 21, 2013 6:12:24 AM PDT
Gameresq says:
If I must be connected to the Internet to play games, I will not buy the system. I play games on my Wii U and PS3 all the time without being connected. It is not clear whether the new Microsoft console will allow this.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 21, 2013 6:26:07 AM PDT
Exactly. My first thought was "MS isn't dumb enough to actual do this, this is just fanboy rumors." But then I thought about some of the other things they're doing and realized this REALLY fits with what they're trying to do. For such a large company they sure make a LOT of bad moves. I mean with Windows it seems like they get one version right, then totally release a screwed up version nobody takes until the next version, and they've repeated that process for ages.

I'm curious if it is always online if you also still have to pay for a Live subscription. Then they'd be able to claim the first subscription based console in history I'd think. I'm also curious to see how that plays into pricing. The only way I see them salvaging this would be to launch the console at something like $100. With the always online and the required subscription to Live (this is just a guess the Live thing is TOTALLY nowhere confirmed), launching at $100 they'd be able to pull in a LOT of buyers and they'd make their money back in just the subscription fees.

Posted on Mar 21, 2013 6:26:24 AM PDT
John McClane says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 21, 2013 6:31:46 AM PDT
That was just a pathetic troll attempt man. You can do better then that.

Posted on Mar 21, 2013 6:32:32 AM PDT
M. says:
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  32
Total posts:  104
Initial post:  Mar 21, 2013
Latest post:  Mar 21, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions