Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

Team Meat: We'd Work With Nintendo If Meat Boy Made It Into Smash Bros.

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 108 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 8, 2013 8:56:40 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 8, 2013 8:59:13 AM PST
Zen Kaizoku says:
Super Meat Boy creators Edmund McMillen and Tommy Refenes have been speaking to Eurogamer about their future projects, and have revealed that they would be prepared to work with Nintendo again - with one small caveat.

McMillen: "I want Meat Boy to be in Smash Bros. That would be the one reason I'd really want to develop for a Nintendo console."

Refenes: "That would be amazing! If they could guarantee us Meat Boy would be in Smash Bros., we would do something."

McMillen: "Nintendo are you listening? Smash Bros! We would ask for nothing in return. Just f***ing use the character. Put him in the game. It's free!"

Refenes: "If they wanted Mew-Genics or something and they could promise us Meat Boy would be in the game we'd develop Mew-Genics for them. Not exclusively, of course. This is how they would buy it from us. And that's a very cheap price."

Mew-Genics is Team Meat's latest game, and involves cats. It's coming to the iPad. Super Meat Boy was due to hit WiiWare a few years back but ended up being canned. McMillen has been famously critical of console development, thanks largely to issues relating to a proposed port of Super Meat Boy to Microsoft's Xbox Live Arcade. He remains cagey about jumping back into console development as a result.

He said to Eurogamer:

"You have to take into consideration that when you're independent, you don't want to take the risk of jumping on a platform that you have no idea how it's going to do until it's already established. When you look at WiiWare, when it bloomed when World of Goo came out it was like, 'Holy s***! This is a great platform to develop for,' and then it was like a gold rush and everybody was jumping on WiiWare.

What they should have done was wait a little longer to see if it would continue. Because then it just dropped and nobody cared.

Imagine if we got put in another situation like with Xbox where we were nailed down to this contract of semi-exclusivity and we had to jump through all these hoops and kill ourselves and then pay s***loads of money to get on a platform that's not established yet and then it comes out and doesn't do well - imagine that. That's f***ing horrible."

Despite his aversion to making console games, McMillen says Team Meat is keeping its options open:

"If Nintendo or Sony or Microsoft - well, we'll cut off Microsoft at this point - but if Nintendo or Sony came to us and said, 'we have a minimum guarantee of X, Y, Z, we really want you to develop a game for our next system that's coming out in year whatever, if you have something to work on we want to work with you, here's a free kit to develop for us and here's a minimum guarantee or advance,' then we'd be way more inclined to develop for them, but it wouldn't be an exclusive deal. That's an important thing for us."

Link: http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2013/03/team_meat_wed_work_with_nintendo_if_meat_boy_made_it_into_smash_bros

First off, these dudes are clowns, A rated D-Bags, wanted to get that off my chest. Secondly, they want Meat Boy in the next Smash and free dev kits in exchange for a time-wasting phone game? Now tell me why if you were Nintendo you'd go along with that?

Meat Boy does nothing for the Smash series or Nintendo at large. In fact, were he in the game, he'd get iconic status immediately - because as we all know ONLY iconic characters are allowed into Smash. This is a one way deal, benefiting only Team Meat. Of course, even putting aside the Smash Bros. rule of thumb that your game had to have been released - at some point - on a Nintendo platform. And we all know the story behind THAT.

Nintendo if you're reading this, don't put that chunk of beef or whatever in the game. Why? The word "undeserving" comes to mind. My opinion of this nonsense aside, what do you think?

Sound Off Below.

Posted on Mar 8, 2013 8:57:22 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 8, 2013 8:58:42 AM PST
MrFoxhound says:
I would love to play Smash Bros on a Super Meat Boy stage though, that would be the definition of awesome.

****ing Microsoft ruins things for everyone.

Posted on Mar 8, 2013 8:57:56 AM PST
WeaKeN says:
lol Meat Boy would be a great character to play as

Posted on Mar 8, 2013 9:00:10 AM PST
Cinema Fan says:
Meat Boy is too cool for Smash Bros anyway. Leave Smash Bros to the characters 7 year olds and grown manchildren care about.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 8, 2013 9:12:06 AM PST
The Unknown says:
Give me a break. MeatBoy isn't worthy...Not even as an assist trophy.

Besides as Zen said, what's in it for Nintendo?

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 8, 2013 9:13:06 AM PST
MrFoxhound says:
Meat Boy > Mario

I wish Mario games were as fun or challenging as Super Meat Boy.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 8, 2013 9:16:39 AM PST
Zen Kaizoku says:
Meat Boy > Mario - Yeah, I can see that, it's totally tru....

Wait, wait, wait....

Okay. Now I KNOW you're trolling. Are you high?

Posted on Mar 8, 2013 9:17:01 AM PST
Super R-Typ0 says:
Satoru Iwata did respond by saying, ''You're rearry breaking my barrs here Tream Meat.''

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 8, 2013 9:17:36 AM PST
MrFoxhound says:
Mario are fun little kids games, but they offer no real challenge anymore.

Posted on Mar 8, 2013 9:18:05 AM PST
DVvM says:
Meat Boy in Smash Bros. would be awesome.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 8, 2013 9:18:27 AM PST
Zen Kaizoku says:
...Then proceeded to dunk them in a tank of Sharks...

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 8, 2013 9:24:21 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 8, 2013 9:24:33 AM PST
Zen Kaizoku says:
Not even going to dignify that with a true response. I'm not Keller, so I'm not going to sit here - knowing full well that you're trolling - to prove to you that that statement has a 0% basis in truth.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 8, 2013 9:25:25 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 8, 2013 9:26:52 AM PST
Lucanus says:
Apparently you never got all the star coins before selling your U. Maybe you can buy another one later this year. :)

Later 2 nite I am going to watch some MGS, I mean 'play' some MGS.

Posted on Mar 8, 2013 9:28:07 AM PST
Uh I thiml the requirements are the other way around... the character would have to have been on a Nintendo platform to be included in Smash not the other way around. Then again I think Meatboy made a cameo in a game on a Nintendo Platform didn't he?

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 8, 2013 9:28:47 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 8, 2013 9:29:29 AM PST
The Unknown says:
Because we all know that those "games" are actually just hyper-glorified interactive trailers...

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 8, 2013 9:30:41 AM PST
Lucanus says:
MGS has less gameplay than Heavy Rain.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 8, 2013 9:32:51 AM PST
MrFoxhound says:
I'm not trolling. It's my opinion.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 8, 2013 9:33:59 AM PST
Zen Kaizoku says:
No, he didn't and I mentioned that in my post article editorial. I mean, think on it for a second Meat Boy among true legends like Link, Mario or even Sonic.

Doesn't fit, does it?

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 8, 2013 9:36:17 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 8, 2013 9:38:22 AM PST
Zen Kaizoku says:
Oh, got to be careful on the net these days. Anyway, did you even try NSMBU's challenge mode. Seems to me like you didn't if you're complaining a about lack of difficulty.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 8, 2013 9:37:34 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 8, 2013 9:37:51 AM PST
Lucanus says:
LMAO. So much irony in that post. Thanks for that. Now I can take a smile with me to lunch. :)

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 8, 2013 9:39:15 AM PST
Zen Kaizoku says:
You're welcome, I guess.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 8, 2013 9:40:16 AM PST
The Unknown says:
But they're both GREAT movies!

Posted on Mar 8, 2013 9:48:04 AM PST
I think the Smash request is silly. However, I agree that Super Meat Boy is probably easily one of the top 3 platformers released in the last 5 years. I think Nintendo or Sony would be smart in trying to entice them to develop for consoles. Honestly if Nintendo was smart or Sony for that matter, despite him protesting, grabbing Team Meat as a first party developer would be a REALLY smart idea.

Sure, they are an indie company, but look at their games lately, Super Meat Boy and Binding of Isaac both have sold like hotcakes, especially on the PC. If someone handed these guys a couple fistfulls of money I'm pretty sure that "we won't do exclusives thing" would turn into "well we did some research and changed our mind....".

I mean imagine how good a game these guys could make if they had the funding/resources that a normal studio does.

Posted on Mar 8, 2013 9:49:07 AM PST
Lucanus says:
I feel stupid because I have never heard of Super Meat Boy. :(

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 8, 2013 9:51:26 AM PST
Carlito says:
They don't want the fistful of money, have you not watched Indie Game: The Movie? Tommy hates all of us.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  24
Total posts:  108
Initial post:  Mar 8, 2013
Latest post:  Mar 8, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions