Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

Microsoft quietly cancels Xbox Live Family Pack

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 108 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 8, 2013 1:43:38 PM PST
GarionOrb says:
http://www.destructoid.com/microsoft-quietly-cancels-the-xbox-live-family-pack-248141.phtml

Microsoft has decided to quietly cancel the Xbox Live Family Pack, which netted you four Xbox Live Gold accounts at the discounted price of $99.99.

The benefits for this system were tenfold, including a massive discount in price, and other helpful options like the ability to restrict child accounts, and allot a Microsoft Point allowance with the press of a button.

Rather than give users a heads up however, Microsoft has simply stopped offering the service under cover of the night, and when users woke up this morning finding that there was an error code for their renewal option, a rep informed them that it was "no longer being offered."

If you renewed already you will still have access, but if you tried to renew today, you're basically screwed. I can confirm personally that I am not given the option to renew.

With the PlayStation 4 on the horizon, and the PS3 offering free content and application access right now, this move is beyond idiotic, and will no doubt sour a ton of paying customers.

In fact, I utilize the Xbox Live Family Pack myself to net a small discount for me and my wife. Now, like many others out there, I'm considering not renewing for the first time since the launch of Xbox Live, when I purchased my very first subscription pack that came with a headset and a free copy of Moto GP.

I know I can get discounted cards for around $35 per account during the myriad of sales that Amazon, Best Buy, and Toys R' Us hold. But with all of the great things Sony is doing with PlayStation Plus, it's really, really hard to justify paying Xbox Live with each passing day.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 8, 2013 1:45:04 PM PST
Xbots, move over Sony or Nintendo, Halo is not the only reason to buy a console.

Posted on Mar 8, 2013 1:47:51 PM PST
XBLG is a joke.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 8, 2013 1:48:48 PM PST
MOTHER F&^%*...

You have to be kidding me... And they can't even announce it... Guess I better check to see when our plan is up...

Posted on Mar 8, 2013 1:50:25 PM PST
wait what? aljhfskdhfkjshfksj I have one this is utter BS

Posted on Mar 8, 2013 1:52:30 PM PST
GarionOrb says:
This is kind of a sleazy move. Four accounts now cost $240 instead of $100. You'd think that with Sony practically giving away content left and right, MS would make their service MORE cost-effective instead of less.

Posted on Mar 8, 2013 1:52:52 PM PST
So wait, the author is pissed because he can't pay $99/year for he and his wife but acknowledges that he can pay $70/year if he wanted to?

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 8, 2013 1:53:11 PM PST
You would think that, seems MS wants to kill themselves.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 8, 2013 1:53:27 PM PST
What are they thinking? It was one of the few ways I was able to justify the membership...

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 8, 2013 2:00:05 PM PST
"So wait, the author is pissed because he can't pay $99/year for he and his wife but acknowledges that he can pay $70/year if he wanted to?"

I imagine it's similar to how you can get a pack of gum for $.50 cheaper at the supermarket, but you buy one at the gas station instead. "Convenience" is the word the kids are using for that. It's a mind-blowing new concept in commerce!

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 8, 2013 2:04:53 PM PST
No need to be snarky. The author knows exactly where the sales are. In many cases like Amazon he can even copy and paste the code directly into Xbox.com in a matter of seconds. That's convenient.

Posted on Mar 8, 2013 2:05:55 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 8, 2013 2:07:48 PM PST
Junkiiiii says:
Wow, this is F'ed up. I have the family pack for me and my two boys who use their xbox at their mothers house. There is no way I am paying $60 a piece come next year.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 8, 2013 2:06:02 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 8, 2013 2:30:52 PM PST
That Emu Kid says:
A year or two ago I heavily leaned towards the 360 for any multiplats. Nowadays, I find myself irrationally wanting to trade-in all my 360 stuff out of spite. My Gold subscription ran out last month, and while I have a 12-month gold card I bought last year before accidentally auto-renewing, rather than using it I'm going to sell it to a friend for cheap.

Posted on Mar 8, 2013 2:09:07 PM PST
according to xbox support if you have it on auto renew it will, for now

Posted on Mar 8, 2013 2:10:24 PM PST
Soulshine says:
shh...MS hates your family...leave them and spend more on video games...you didn't hear that from me.

(slinks back into the shadows)

Posted on Mar 8, 2013 2:15:02 PM PST
Microsoft was admitted to the hospital this morning. It appears to be a self-inflicted bullet wound to the foot.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 8, 2013 2:21:21 PM PST
I agree that is rather strange. Does the family pack offer discounts other than those a normal Live account gets?

Posted on Mar 8, 2013 2:23:46 PM PST
amessofamind says:
Microsoft is testing my patience with them... the 720 better make up for this, and live better change for the better.. as of right now, the two things I hate about PS3 is no party chat, and the fact that I have to get a headset(wireless, charging) and can't have the convience of a plug and play one when I want it.. PS4 is changing both of those things.. I'm only getting one console at launch, and more and more it seems to be the PS4.. sad, because I hate the playstation controller as opposed to 360/720.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 8, 2013 2:23:51 PM PST
No.

I think that MS is moving away from charging families for individual accounts (which I always thought was screwed up.)

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 8, 2013 2:27:32 PM PST
You think they will allow mutliple accounts per household at the same price as one account?

Posted on Mar 8, 2013 2:33:29 PM PST
'Punk! says:XBLG is a joke.'

Bwahaha..Ive been saying that for years..Bwahaha

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 8, 2013 3:41:36 PM PST
Me too.

Posted on Mar 8, 2013 5:27:39 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 8, 2013 5:28:27 PM PST
I. Flores says:
XBLG is... what it is.

And that's all I have to say about that.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 8, 2013 5:34:15 PM PST
AndrewA says:
I thought that was weird too. Even for three people it's only a five dollar increase. It's the four people groupings that get screwed.

I'll be honest tho, I had no idea families bought multiple accounts. My brother and I always shared the same online account and it never bothered us.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 8, 2013 5:35:55 PM PST
1 I don't like halo
2 the reason I prefer xbox is cause of the controller and the OS.
3 Gears of war also helps sweeten the tea.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  45
Total posts:  108
Initial post:  Mar 8, 2013
Latest post:  Jul 17, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions