Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

OT: Hard to swallow: Bloomberg bans food donations to homeless shelters

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 82 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 9, 2012 4:25:01 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 9, 2012 4:50:04 AM PST
Cats Go Nyan says:
http://now.msn.com/hard-to-swallow-bloomberg-bans-food-donations-to-homeless-shelters

"In one of NYC's darkest hours, with resources stretched thin in the wake of Hurricane Sandy, Mayor Michael Bloomberg is showing his priorities with a ban on food donations to homeless shelters. No, not because of food contamination, but because the city can't properly assess salt, fat and fiber in donated food and thereby ensure starving people are getting the optimal levels of nutrition. Can't have dumpy-looking homeless people on the streets! We knew Bloomberg was a health nut, but maybe he's just anti-food? Maybe put this one to a vote - it's hard to imagine what harm fresh soup and bagels (two items that have already been turned away) could do to a hungry person."

Posted on Nov 9, 2012 4:36:12 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 9, 2012 4:37:38 AM PST
I think this is a good idea. Those homeless people end up in hospitals and I end up paying for them. It's a fact of life. Food kitchens and homeless shelters do monitor their food and how they feed the homeless. I know because I've volunteered. Many of them are old and/or have existing medical conditions. Just because they are homeless shouldn't mean they are forced to eat food that may hurt them.

Two sides to every coin Kitter.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 4:41:09 AM PST
Cats Go Nyan says:
I guess I didn't think of it that way.

Do you know if there's still regular funding/donations of approved foods to those shelters though?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 4:41:19 AM PST
Aku says:
Then how about basic rules for donating food instead of an all-out ban? Seems like a simple "unopened, labeled cans and products only" thing would be more useful.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 4:42:56 AM PST
You mean right now? No idea.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 4:44:48 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 9, 2012 4:48:16 AM PST
People/Volunteers/Shelter Workers still would have to spend time reading labels rather than cooking food themselves. It is possible that MSN just wanted lots of folks to click on that link. I'm just saying.

No one is "starving" in NYC unless they want to.

Edit: The comments for that article are pretty funny. Lots of extremely intelligent folks. I have noticed that smart people comment on news articles on the internet. It's refreshing.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 4:57:35 AM PST
Cats Go Nyan says:
I wouldn't know since I don't live in NY, but it seems like there's a lot of potential for this to be more harmful than helpful. I understand what he's trying to do, and I definitely think it's a good idea, but it sounds like it'll make a lot more homeless people go hungry.

But like I said, I don't live there, so it doesn't really matter what my opinion of it is.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 5:12:10 AM PST
Dude you don't have to live here to have an opinion :)

I think the point is that no one is going to go hungry because a shelter says no, right now, to food donations. I don't think this is a mandate that is in effect all the time mind you. I think with people being spread so thin due to the weather a volunteers time is better served cooking food rather than sitting in a room sifting through cans. Those folks really do make an effort to cook healthy food.

Posted on Nov 9, 2012 5:15:44 AM PST
NYC needs to dump this Bloomburg fool. Banning food, what a joke.

Posted on Nov 9, 2012 5:24:23 AM PST
"The Air is bad in NYC. You are not allowed to breath the air freely because it contributes to asthma and other medical conditions. All NYC residents will register with the City. Residents will be issued an air breather and are obligated to use it and refill it. NYC will monitor the situation closely. Violaters will be fined and/or jailed.
"Brother Bloomburg has spoken."

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 5:26:03 AM PST
I didn't realize that NYC shelters actually went to an effort to cook healthy food. That is pretty cool, to be sure, but I don't think a week or two of unhealthy food will seriously hurt anyone that much.

That is a horrible article. It makes no indication that it is an opinion piece, but the language used in the article certainly makes it one.

I'd be surprised if there were really that many people in danger of starving, though. I've seen a number of homeless people over the years, and none of them appeared to be starving. Homeless ≠ starving

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 5:32:27 AM PST
Ok stop me if you think this is inplausible:

Someone with Meniere's disease eats a meal prepared by someone (keep in mind there are people in shelters right now that are displaced because of the storm and not necessarily "homeless") and this meal is packed full of salt and they go out and get dizzy and crack their skull on the pavement. You think that person won't sue NYC?

This is a logistical issue right now more than anything but I'm just playing Devil's advocate. Although I do agree with Bloomberg on this. On the surface it might seem like he is the devil but that's just the news wanting hits. The news is in the making money business ... not in the information business.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 5:56:52 AM PST
JWK says:
Bloomberg isn't anti-food. He's pro-power. Nothing should enter the mouths of his citizens without his say so.

Posted on Nov 9, 2012 6:00:05 AM PST
Donating a dollar to a shelter is far more efficient than donating a dollar's worth of food. Those shelters can buy in bulk, don't pay sales tax and often-times get special rates. People should have been doing this all along.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 6:10:50 AM PST
Ice King says:
That's what I was thinking. Donating money is better on almost every level.
Giving them a few cans of soup or a dozen bagels just means they're going to end up with so much different food that will need to be stored, prepared, and served in different ways. Money lets them buy the same stuff and keep things more effecient.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 6:15:06 AM PST
That is valid point. Well put.

So I guess what I don't get is this: aren't there ALREADY rules in place for the type of food you can donate to a shelter?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 6:16:26 AM PST
Yes there are. All over the country. But that story doesn't make people click on the link.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 6:17:54 AM PST
Alright then. As a thinking individual, I can change my opinion when presented with evidence to the contrary.

There is nothing wrong with this.

Also, I studied journalism. I know what it's all about.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 6:43:31 AM PST
MrFoxhound says:
Beggars can't be choosers.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 7:19:53 AM PST
Stop trolling and take your Celebrex old man!!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 7:23:39 AM PST
MrFoxhound says:
:p

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2012 5:29:45 AM PST
"Beggars can't be choosers."

Sure they can. There are plenty of stories out there of donations being declined for any number of reasons. And when one particular type of donation becomes more of a burden to process, and you have an opportunity to inform your donor base of the best possible way to donate, and what will be the most efficient use of the donor's money, you do so. Don't get all butthurt when you hear that your donation was unwisely given - take it as the learning opportunity that it is, and decide how best your dollar can be spent.

Posted on Nov 11, 2012 8:09:04 AM PST
I think this is great. +1

Posted on Nov 11, 2012 8:42:30 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 11, 2012 8:43:22 AM PST
Frank says:
The mentality that the State knows what is good for you is sickening. At least here in CA there's always the big earthquake to look forward to to cleanse it and turn Arizona into a fine beach town. But how does the country excise NYC to prevent it from contaminating the rest of the US?

Posted on Nov 11, 2012 8:54:27 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 11, 2012 9:00:40 AM PST
Let people starve, woohoo! Bloomberg is a shiny example of humanity's lowest.

I can't stand Statist sacks like Bloomberg. Ban your guns, ban your foods, ban everything, because he is your lord and savior. Bloomberg has no right to do this and deserves to be out of a job. Giuliani was also a Statist.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  15
Total posts:  82
Initial post:  Nov 9, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 12, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions