Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

Politician Suggests Taxing Violent Video Games

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 88 posts in this discussion
Posted on Jan 21, 2013 12:18:10 PM PST
badguy says:
Lets tax stupid politicians for varying amounts depending how stupid thier ideas are.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 21, 2013 12:09:08 PM PST
WolfPup says:
I don't know that it should matter necessarily but I'm not seeing any good source for that claim when I search for it.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 18, 2013 8:09:38 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 18, 2013 8:17:36 PM PST
Yeah, I'm still in. I've transitioned to the national guard, though. I'm to old to play the same game I did when I was younger. Leave that paratrooper crap to kids like I was over a decade ago, full of two scoops of hooah with no room for brains.

Oddly enough, I switched to the "guards" because I spent so much of my active time overseas. 75% of my time on active duty was spent outside the US.
Then I deployed with the guard. Crap...

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 18, 2013 8:02:15 PM PST
Just curious, are you still in?

Posted on Jan 18, 2013 7:10:53 PM PST
I know this thread never really stayed on-topic, but we all knew it was referring to a knee-jerk reaction to the Sandy Hook shooting.
So, this might be relevant, and change everything:
http://www.ijreview.com/2013/01/30208-nbc-admits-no-assault-rifle-used-in-newtown-shooting/

Now they're saying he didn't use the rifle at all. Just four handguns. That he reloaded multiple times.

So the big outcry about "assault rifles" and "high capacity magazines" is hinged on something that may not even be relevant at all.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 17, 2013 9:42:44 AM PST
WolfPup says:
Nah, it's clearly exactly the same as using a mouse to move a target over a virtual bad guy lol

Posted on Jan 17, 2013 9:17:11 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 17, 2013 9:19:07 AM PST
Keller says:
"Have you even shot at someone who was actively shooting at you? Hell, have you ever even been in a fight at all?"

No. Yes. I did have to give my father in law the Heimlick procedure because he had steak stuck in his throat. Does that count for anything? He was on the verge of passing out. :)

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 17, 2013 9:14:44 AM PST
A lot of guys puke shortly afterward. Not because they're "disgusted" or anything like that, but because of the stress on your body in that situation.
I'm sure you've been in a car and came REALLY close to getting into an accident, right? Most people have. Afterward, your hands are shaking and your heart is thumping and it's a generally unpleasant feeling for most people. And that's with a car, something that isn't explicitly made to kill people, and it's an accident, nobody was trying to kill you.
It's quite a bit worse when it's a gun or bomb that was intended to kill you.

I don't know anyone who really enjoyed that stuff. We'd call those guys "psychopaths" and probably try to get them chaptered out.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 17, 2013 9:07:20 AM PST
Man, but surviving and killing the opponent must be a crazy rush of endorphins, I can see why these guys get all power-trippy sometimes.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 17, 2013 9:06:00 AM PST
Have you even shot at someone who was actively shooting at you? Hell, have you ever even been in a fight at all?

Aiming a rifle for accuracy is pretty easy when you're shooting a target or even an animal that doesn't know you're aiming at it.
When your adrenaline dumps into your bloodstream because someone just shot at you and didn't kill you, it's quite a bit more difficult.

Posted on Jan 17, 2013 8:37:19 AM PST
"a bill that levies a 1 percent tax on any "violent video game," which is defined as "a video or computer game that has received a rating from the Entertainment Software Rating Board of Teen, Mature, or Adult Only."

bishes be rollin in it.

"The money raised by the tax would go into the general fund and be used for the "treatment of mental health conditions associated with exposure to violent video games."

if only this were the only place it would end up.

Posted on Jan 17, 2013 8:35:27 AM PST
a new evolution of a collective swear jar?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 17, 2013 8:35:04 AM PST
Keller says:
So assault rifles are for people who can't aim? Their damage comes from being able to carry and fire large amounts of ammo to make up for missing most of the time? :)

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 17, 2013 8:32:10 AM PST
"There has to be a reason why those type of guns have their own category, instead of being in the hunting rifle category. "

splatter radius.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 17, 2013 8:18:11 AM PST
Frankenzubaz says:
You'd think they'd be more understanding having lived through pinball prohibition.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 17, 2013 8:13:32 AM PST
To kill Makarov?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 17, 2013 8:12:40 AM PST
FOGE says:
And that is exactly why civilians need "high capacity magazines"

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 17, 2013 8:11:27 AM PST
Because if you come around the corner with half of a magazine left, say 15 rounds, and there are two people there, you could be screwed.
Most games require around 3-5 hits for a kill. Most people have ~25% accuracy (if that). So two guys take 5 hits each, that's 10 rounds. But if you miss 75% of the time, now you're looking at needing maybe 40 rounds to kill those two guys. Most weapons have you using 30 round magazines, so even that might not be enough unless both enemies are closer to you and you can be more accurate.

BLUF: If you aren't topped off as often as possible, you're probably setting yourself up for failure. It isn't too different in real life, either.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 17, 2013 8:10:13 AM PST
I've heard kids listening to this new fancy "Beethoven" music, with CANNONS! It can't be healthy!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 17, 2013 8:08:36 AM PST
WolfPup says:
Yay, this again.

When are the last "get off my lawn", "what's a vidjer games" geezers going to die already? They do know multiple decades of people who play games are now voting age, right?

Lets ban books too while we're at it

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 17, 2013 8:06:43 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 17, 2013 11:14:42 AM PST
Voice of god says:
I know I started doing it super-compulsively after I started playing survival horror games.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 17, 2013 8:05:02 AM PST
FOGE says:
Why do people reload unnecessarily in video games? It makes no sense, but some people reload compulsively after firing a few rounds. And when I say some people, I mainly mean me.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 17, 2013 8:03:20 AM PST
Frankenzubaz says:
In that case, I would like to meet both government and hollywood at the nearest cheap motel, asap.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 17, 2013 8:00:20 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 17, 2013 8:00:52 AM PST
Keller says:
Last I checked 6-8 bullets have at least enough potential to kill 6-8 people. Though it depends on aiming abilities. :)

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 17, 2013 7:59:13 AM PST
Well, how long does each bullet take to fire? If it's a half second each, then a 3 - 4 second delay is 6 - 8 less bullets fired per mag change. How many people can 6 - 8 bullets kill?
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Active discussions in related forums  

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  35
Total posts:  88
Initial post:  Jan 15, 2013
Latest post:  Jan 21, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions