OT: Ehh, I don't think I believe in God anymore

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 746 posts in this discussion
Posted on Nov 30, 2012 1:24:48 PM PST
I spoke my peace on this matter.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 30, 2012 1:11:32 PM PST
"NLS7 says:
No the first commandment has everything to do with the second."

Only to you and like-minded people, meanwhile the other 6 billion of us that your god has condemned to hell think differently.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 30, 2012 12:54:14 PM PST
Harmicky says:
Sorry, but I disagree. Jesus did not rail against "religion." I am using the pure definition of religion.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 30, 2012 12:51:50 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 30, 2012 12:52:35 PM PST
Ned Flanders says:
No the first commandment has everything to do with the second.

I love and respect my father. (I would not want to disappoint him via my actions because they reflect back on him. I bear his last name) and when he gives me a set of rules to go by that he established for his house I follow them. Why? Because he has authority over my life.

Same thing applies to being a Christian I bear the name of Jesus when I call myself a CHRISTian and I do not want my actions to reflect poorly on him. I am not going to be perfect by any means because man is not perfect. If you are wanting to see perfection look at Jesus.

I have seen children told by an adult, that they know, to follow a rule and what does the child say back? You are not my daddy and you cannot tell me what to do. But if their father tells them to do the same thing they will act in obediance do it.

The cross goes up and down and left and right. So I have to be right with God (the up and down) and be in love and charity with my neighbor [defined as anybody other than myself] (the left and right).
I cannot have one without the other.

And you may say I do not believe in God and I have never committed adultery or killed anybody. The standard set forth by Jesus states otherwise.

Matthew 5:28
But I tell you that anyone who looks at a woman lustfully has already committed adultery with her in his heart.

Matthew 5:21-22
New American Standard Bible (NASB)
21 "You have heard that the ancients were told, "You shall not commit murder" and `Whoever commits murder shall be liable to the court.' 22 But I say to you that everyone who is angry with his brother shall be guilty before the court.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 30, 2012 8:33:09 AM PST
I bet the Christians that act like Jesus wants them to are unnoticeable, they do their kind acts and don't yell it to the stars. That's probably why I haven't seen them.

And yes, Jesus would be super disappointed with a huge swath of Christians right now.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 30, 2012 8:24:01 AM PST
Rockhardly says:
"I get that, but I have yet to meet the Christian that acts in the ways Jesus taught."

That's pretty much akin to something our pastor (at least, the one at the church we're currently going to most of the time) pointed out.

I was raised in an extremely conservative area, and when I go back to visit I typically go through a bit of culture shock - especially when we visit any of the local churches. I've seen quite a bit of the "well, everyone in HERE is righteous - and everyone out there is just a-dancin' with SATAN!!!!" It can be a very closed-off and depressing place - and it generally takes me a bit of time to cool off once I come back from a visit.

I can say that had I stayed in that area and not been exposed to other viewpoints or other ways of "doing church", I very likely would have a different outlook on church and religion in general. In that sense, I can see why a lot of people attack religion (specifically Christianity) - and it's part of the reason I get a bit angry when some self-proclaimed Christians begin to spout things that I think would make Jesus a bit more than angry.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 30, 2012 6:54:17 AM PST
GUEST!! says:
Tide goes in, stain comes out. You can't explain that.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 30, 2012 6:49:49 AM PST
I was just about to say this, O'Reilly was wrong? Stop the presses!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 30, 2012 6:49:29 AM PST
"I think for many people it's a way of claiming they are following a teaching closer to what Jesus actually taught which has very little to do with the strange and petty laws the religious leaders of his day were touting"

I get that, but I have yet to meet the Christian that acts in the ways Jesus taught.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 30, 2012 6:47:25 AM PST
GUEST!! says:
He's wrong about a lot of stuff, so that's not such a big deal.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 30, 2012 6:38:32 AM PST
Rockhardly says:
"Right, but people who follow Jesus are in a religion. Called Christianity. So you're religious."

Not necessarily. Jesus railed against religion. Following Jesus - at least in the time he was walking the earth - had a lot to do with NOT being religious.

I think this is going to come down to a definition of terms.

This comes back a bit to what I was talking about earlier regarding getting hung up on a verse or two and using those as laws/rules which allow you to go against the overall messages. Not being able to see the forest because of the trees, for instance.

Jesus attacked religion that would put more focus on petty rules/traditions while it lost focus on God and treating other people as you would have yourself be treated. I think if he were walking the earth today, he would likely attack churches like the Westboro Baptist Church or attack places where the church looks down on or judges others for not adhering to useless rules.

People use the "I'm spiritual, not religious" many times to distance themselves from ideologies like the Westboro Church or other organizations that focus so much on rules and so little on God. It may sound like a cop-out - but in reality, I think for many people it's a way of claiming they are following a teaching closer to what Jesus actually taught which has very little to do with the strange and petty laws the religious leaders of his day were touting (which, from what I understand, really ticked him off).

What annoys me to a degree is people who have taken the idea of Christianity and swathed it in religion and used it to exert a form of control over other people. This is exactly, from what I've read, against what Jesus taught - and has done much more to push people away from Christianity than just about anything else.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 30, 2012 6:37:02 AM PST
Stud Lee© says:
"The fact that the doctors told my parents that my grandfather was not going to make it through the night and were asking if we want them to pull the plug and through prayer with tears in my eyes for hours into the night he started a slow recovery and he is still alive 6 years later is evidence."

You really believe god pulled your grandfather through that? Nature does amazing things, too...give it some credit.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 8:07:31 PM PST
Harmicky says:
Right, but people who follow Jesus are in a religion. Called Christianity. So you're religious.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 6:45:16 PM PST
Note that I added "per se" to the end of my statement.

So I'm kind of religious. It's just that Jesus is the most important part, not being forgiving or following the 10 Commandments.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 6:23:53 PM PST
Harmicky says:
I don't get this either. I have no problem being called religious.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 6:08:35 PM PST
I didn't read them I don't think.

Well, I'd say that if your belief stems from a dogma then you may as well call yourself religious. You wouldn't know who Jesus was or what he wants without the religion. I don't know why people that follow the teachings of a Religion don't like to call themselves religious.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 5:38:23 PM PST
I don't know if you read my comments and posts from earlier this year.

I'm not "religious", per se.

I have a personal relationship with Jesus.

So, people can call me whatever they want, based on that.

I don't know what the correct term is (other than Christian), nor do I care.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 5:28:40 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 29, 2012 5:31:22 PM PST
Lol.... That's funny

I think it's interesting when Christians say "I'm not religious, I'm spiritual". That may be true for a very very liberal Christian, but most non church going Christians say this. And it's not true since many of them are Evangelical or fundie.

Posted on Nov 29, 2012 5:08:22 PM PST
Bill O'Reilly just said that Christianity is not a religion, it's a philosophy.

I disagree, rather strongly.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 4:20:56 PM PST
Ah okay thank you for clarifying.

Posted on Nov 29, 2012 3:41:39 PM PST
This is the type of trolling that is supposed to go on facebook

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 2:47:57 PM PST
Ned Flanders says:
"Maybe they were just shown a concept in their mind by God and interpreted it to mean that a "law" is "written on their hearts"?

either way God created it.

Posted on Nov 29, 2012 2:47:39 PM PST
Believe in Me!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 2:41:11 PM PST
I would think number 2 would sum it up nicely (basically the golden rule common to any belief system), number 1 is for a certain subset of people and does nothing to establish morality.

Posted on Nov 29, 2012 2:29:08 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 29, 2012 2:36:35 PM PST
Kirksplosion says:
Saw this for the first time a couple of weeks ago. Pretty funny.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RB3g6mXLEKk

Edit: Gets way too preachy by the end, though.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 30 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Active discussions in related forums  

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  70
Total posts:  746
Initial post:  Nov 24, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 30, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions