Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

The OFFICIAL VGF Minecraft Server Thread

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 628 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 10, 2013 8:02:27 PM PDT
Hey all, I'm stating this new thread because we're in business now (server is live), but we're not quite up and running at this point. Give me a few days to get the plugins all set up and make sure the balance is cool before we unleash the kraken (or hounds if you prefer hounds).

The email address for this d0omed endeavour is:

vgfminecraft@yahoo.com

Just shoot me your minecraft ID and you'll make the whitelist. I'm not whitelisting more than 30 at this point, but I don't think that's gonna be an issue.

For the next day or so I'd like balance suggestions. For instance, Cap recommended the tombstone plugin but that basically means no one loses any loot when they die. I'm kind of torn on that as it makes dying really painless. What do you guys think?

Virtual chest is in for sure and I'm looking into ways to make chests lockable to your ID so we won't have to even worry about theft.

Runecraft is....sorta in. I don't want Faith runes ripping mountains out of the ground and sending them flying across the map. The lag would be insane, lol. Any suggestions/comments on which spells, runes, etc. you guys would like or not like?

Lemme know. We'll shoot for a Wednesday launch.

Posted on Mar 10, 2013 8:33:35 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 10, 2013 8:34:16 PM PDT
John McClane says:
Hopefully this turns out better than the Starhawk clan.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 10, 2013 8:36:54 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Mar 11, 2013 4:37:45 AM PDT]

Posted on Mar 11, 2013 1:26:30 PM PDT
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 11, 2013 1:29:09 PM PDT
Honestly I recommend looking up mod packs for this. I've not played on a modded server, do we all have to be running clients with the same version mods that you're using on the server? Or can we login with a vanilla client and it will automatically install all of that for us?

I know Tekkit and Feed the Beast (I'm partial to Feed the Beast) have a bunch of nice mods to them that are a bit more optimized for MP stuff. I'm at work for a few more minutes but will hit you up if I see you tonight (I'm pretty sure I have you on Steam).

Have you decided on how we're going to set up spawn and all that yet or is this really just for testing everything out first?

Posted on Mar 11, 2013 1:31:14 PM PDT
I'll be getting minecraft this evening. I'll be sure to shoot out an email as soon as I get it loaded up and get an ID.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 11, 2013 1:32:52 PM PDT
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 11, 2013 1:34:37 PM PDT
Are you going into the game blind?

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 11, 2013 1:37:14 PM PDT
Ahhh ok, I was kind of curious. I just was afraid that if we had to install all the mods, and make sure we were running the same version of each mod, along with the same version of Minecraft, that could get really messy really easy. I've modded my SP client TONS of times but never got on a server with mods so wasn't sure how all that worked.

Also, what texture packs does everyone tend to use? I'm the boring vanilla person, but I've been tempted to try that cell-shaded looking one that everyone uses for Tekkit and Feed the Beast nowadays.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 11, 2013 1:42:03 PM PDT
No, I played a couple hundred hours on 360. I am unfamiliar with all the mods obviously, but I understand the general principles.

Posted on Mar 11, 2013 3:51:52 PM PDT
Alright, email sent.

Posted on Mar 11, 2013 4:35:24 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 11, 2013 4:36:35 PM PDT
"Have you decided on how we're going to set up spawn and all that yet or is this really just for testing everything out first?"

I'm going Johnny Five "need more info" style on the interwebs so now I've obtained a much better understanding on how Bukkit Essentials and Worldguard works. I'm going to pop into creative mode and put down a small protected spawn area. It's gonna look like a little Stonehenge type shrine where you'll spawn into the world as a new player (or when you die). Only operators will be able to affect blocks in that small area. Not too far from the spawn we can set up a community (participation optional, of course).

After I'm done setting up the initial spawn I'm swearing off creative mode entirely for me and the operators to keep things fair.

As far as mods are concerned we can add as we go. Once we get running we can play with reality a bit, lol.

Posted on Mar 11, 2013 6:04:50 PM PDT
Email sent. Hope I provided the right info.

Posted on Mar 11, 2013 7:01:34 PM PDT
Callahan says:
Mail sent. May not be on much though and usually in the PM - AM. LOL

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 12, 2013 4:28:51 AM PDT
I use the Photorealism 128x128 or 256x256 texture pack. It's my favorite.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 12, 2013 4:29:39 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 12, 2013 4:31:08 AM PDT
I'm pretty sure you can disable Faith runes so we don't have the mountain issue. All it does it move a half circle of land up 50 blocks or something, effectively creating floating islands. Once they move, they sit there.

Virtual Chest also removes the penalty for dying as you can just keep all expensive mats in your virtual chest. If that's something that you don't want people to have access to, I'd say we ignore both of those.

Posted on Mar 12, 2013 4:49:19 AM PDT
Cats Go Nyan says:
Sounds like fun, but I don't remember my ID. I'll have to get it later.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 12, 2013 6:09:15 AM PDT
I recommend looking into Thaumcraft. Its a "magic" mod that adds a lot of neat features. Its all resource/research based so it adds a bit more to do with all the extra junk you have lying around. It also adds several indestructible blocks (to explosions at least) as well as doors and I believe chests that can only be opened by the creator.

It also balances this out by if you use too much of the "magic aura" in the area it can spawn hostile mobs (no creepers, more flying wisps that poison you, etc and I believe it can even spawn a giant zombie or two). The mod itself adds a ton of functionality to things like XP farms (you can place certain blocks that absorb the XP to hold for later so you can just build up a couple hundred levels and turn your mob grinder off). And thats really just scratching the surface.

Posted on Mar 12, 2013 5:26:48 PM PDT
YIGT says:
Going to have to play some minecraft to get back into and practice some builds before the big day.

Posted on Mar 13, 2013 6:44:06 AM PDT
Bumping for anyone who hadn't seen this yet. Also Evan, I think I solved our great mystery from last night.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 13, 2013 12:37:25 PM PDT
Oh regarding the mystery guest? I'm still freaked out by that ha ha. Oh and the stupid 1.5 patch officially hit today so it kind of screwed up my plans to launch today. Once the hosting site updates their version of Bukkit etc. I can get back in and finish up for launch.

Posted on Mar 13, 2013 1:45:42 PM PDT

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 13, 2013 1:54:15 PM PDT
From what I've talked with Evan about, right now the plan is to basically have everyone build a community spawn town. Each person should build a nice sort of starter spawn house to have a nice little town at spawn. After that its going to be more of a strike out on your own, build your own bases type of thing. You can do whatever you want, solo, build with a couple people, etc. The big thing obviously is no griefing. I personally enjoy pranks, so figure once we get up and running and going we can iron out some pranking rules as well.

I don't think all the mod details have been set in stone yet either, so if you have any favorites list some and I'm sure he'll take a look at them and decide if its something to add. So far I think the only ones guaranteed are just the Bukkit stuff and possibly Runecraft. Though with the new update we might have to go vanilla for awhile until the mods update to the new version as well.

Posted on Mar 13, 2013 5:24:34 PM PDT
Ok we've officially launched so email me (email in the OP) if you don't have whitelist yet. Rules at the moment are pure vanilla because 1.5 killed our plugins. When they fix them all we'll get them back, but for now just enjoy plain ol' Minecraft.

Only rules:

-Respect people's stuff
-Don't mess with the spawn area
-Have fun!

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 13, 2013 7:46:28 PM PDT
Been working for a little bit now, already setup a farm, built a small house, and I'm rounding up some animals for food and what have you.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 26 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  19
Total posts:  628
Initial post:  Mar 10, 2013
Latest post:  Jun 4, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions