Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro
Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

Vita gets a price cut!

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 26-39 of 39 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2012 10:59:37 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 15, 2012 11:01:47 PM PST
Modern Bear says:
He is figuring R&D costs, which really shouldn't be figured in because that's part of doing business. If you don't R&D, you don't come out with new products. With no new products you're really not in business anymore.

There is a definite difference in business attitude between Nintendo and Sony. Nintendo understands that it is vital to sell as many units as possible to make money in the long term, for the reasons I keep stating but keep being ignored by Flores. Sony's attitude is they want as much profit as possible per unit and don't seem to think about how that may hurt sales. The memory card situation is a perfect illustration of that because the markup on those is ridiculous. That is price gouging plain and simple, since the thing is required to make the Vita useful.

This is why Nintendo has been in the video game business for so long, and has dominated the handheld market in particular since the original Gameboy. They understand the market and their customers. I'm not sure what Sony understands in recent years except for how to excel at being stubborn. I do hope they come to their senses next year though because I want to see them succeed. They have incredible engineers who design some of the best electronics on the market. It's too bad their business decisions have been so dimwitted in recent years.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2012 11:07:36 PM PST
Dukeshire says:
Even though I have a Vita, there is no excuse for poor marketing and the use of crappy developers for popular IP's such as Resistance and CoD. Those games should be making the system a must have. Instead the ball is dropped. If MS required proprietary memory for a handheld, the Internet would go ape-feces. MS gets crap for the hard-drive, rightfully so, and Sony should not get a pass for the crap they are pulling and the crap games that they release, which should be AAA titles.

Posted on Nov 15, 2012 11:25:40 PM PST
jnjmcc says:
Hmm should I make games for a system that has 22 million users world wide or 3 million. That's a tough one

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2012 11:30:29 PM PST
Nintendo doesn't make any money from overpriced, proprietary memory cards.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2012 11:31:16 PM PST
Nintendo had those same costs.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 9:35:06 AM PST
Flores. says:
$159>$101

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 9:37:18 AM PST
Is this price cut a good move flores, we need some analysis from Sonymite #1

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 9:38:12 AM PST
Flores. says:
Bot

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 9:39:58 AM PST
fine, keep your business analysis to yourself, it's not like I'm paying for the service

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 9:40:38 AM PST
But the markups were close.

$101~$249= $148

$159~$299= $140 plus revenues from selling expensive, proprietary cards.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 5:06:33 PM PST
Facelord says:
Hardware does matter, it's what they're selling you. I can't believe people are stupid enough to make claims like this, if hardware doesn't matter to Nintendo they don't have the right to be in the hardware market. Ask more of them and they'll give it, stop coddling them. Their coddling fanbase is the reason they are the way they are right now.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 5:11:31 PM PST
Facelord says:
Exactly! Even if they lose $20 off each Vita sale they'd make that money right back in game sales. I think they're afraid of backlash, they should man up and do what Nintendo did- just drop the freaking price. $180 would steal so many 3DS sales and win over so many Vita gamers, much moreso than $200 plus a free $40 game. It's psychological, yaknow.

I almost think they're working on a revision model for the Vita, DS Lite-style. The Vita's processor could definitely be shrunk to a smaller die process for better energy efficiency, meaning it'd require a smaller battery to get slightly better battery life and they'd be able to slim the system down simultaneously. They'd have to make sure CPU yields would be on par with or superior to the current Vita model, though, and I'm sure it'd be costly anyways to do that. Eh, it's gonna happen inevitably, right now Sony just needs to focus on dropping the Vita's price to $180.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 5:13:42 PM PST
Facelord says:
Heh, to be fair it was just one developer who jumped onto Resistance AND CoD and Activision had those guys make Declassified in 4-6 months anyways.
Also, Sony doesn't get a pass for the memory cards. That's the number one complaint of the Vita, and rightly so.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 5:16:35 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 16, 2012 5:17:26 PM PST
Facelord says:
The Metal Gear Solid HD Collection on the Vita outsold MGS3D on the 3DS by a massive margin and cost quite a bit less to produce since the system's more powerful and has better devtools. Third-party game sales on the 3DS are abysmal, and third-party game sales on the Vita are great considering the small install base. Pretty much anything that isn't Mario or Pokemon isn't going to be purchased by the average 3DS gamer, the numbers prove it. It's not as simple as "there are more customers on the 3DS!"

Update: geez, four posts in a row. I wish I could somehow respond to four comments without bumping this thread four times, that's not cool.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Video Games forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Dorito buys the pos Oculus headset, another in a long line of mistakes 2 2 minutes ago
Amazon metrics show that shoppers are heavily favoring PS4, while Xbox One games get left in the dust 306 39 minutes ago
OT: Annual Survey: Chick-fil-a Is Americans' Favorite Fast Food Restaurant, Followed by Papa John's (??); Chipotle Took The Biggest Hit and McDonald's Was In Last Place Again 178 43 minutes ago
"Oculus Rift is an overwhelming disappointment" says Digital Trends review 18 45 minutes ago
Scorpio Is The Last Fart Of The Dying Corpse That Is Xbox. 5 1 hour ago
Bungie Killing Off Destiny on PS3 and Xbox 360 18 1 hour ago
Games With Gold For July Possibly Leaked 6 1 hour ago
Weekend gaming 06/24 - 06/26: Obama criticisizes publication of top fast food in conjunction with E3 conference. "We already have an obesity epidemic, the last thing I need is Phil Spencer encouraging people to shovel down Chick Fil A waffle fries." 65 1 hour ago
Microsoft's Xbox One Is Selling So Poorly Retailers Are Getting Desperate 708 2 hours ago
Scorpio is 18 months away. Until then, XBox One is still a slow disappointing piece of chit 44 2 hours ago
"Oculus is a Nauseating Disappointment" says MIT Technology Review 1 2 hours ago
OT: Cable Cutters- Roku, Apple TV, Fire TV... other? 46 2 hours ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  13
Total posts:  39
Initial post:  Nov 15, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 16, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions