Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

Dark Souls again, lol...SPOILERS!

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 101-125 of 822 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Dec 12, 2012 12:12:19 PM PST
I'm sorry, buy why is NG+ the true test? The enemies are in the same areas as before and you most likely have much better equipment/more options for spells than you did at the time than you did in NG.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 12, 2012 12:12:51 PM PST
Lol, yeah on Lautrec I usually just get a heavy weapon and smack him with it to cause him to stagger back. I've had waaaay too many of those try to kick him and poke him and then have to really fight him moments. He's a real pain that early. If I remember the Zwei's 2-handed R2 usually has enough of a knockback, even with bad stats, that just whack him with that and it usually knocks him back far enough to send him off the cliff.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 12, 2012 12:14:52 PM PST
How come?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 12, 2012 12:16:36 PM PST
"Just take it slow, and only drop your shield when you're swinging your sword."

Well at least early on....knowing when to drop your shield during boss fights and learning stamina management makes the game a LOT easier. If your shield is up, you regain stamina soooooooo much slower. Its generally better to put your shield down when you know you're not going to be attacked and only have it up in anticipation of being smacked.

Any enemy with a long wind up time to hit you should drop your shield for a split second to get that extra stamina because it can mean the difference between a block or him breaking your guard. And once you get the enemy attack patterns down, you should really get in the habit of blocking right before you're about to get attacked.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 12, 2012 12:18:12 PM PST
MrFoxhound says:
Also, you can't backstab if you have your shield up while you circle around behind enemies. You have to drop your shield then circle to effectively backstab. Of course it's a game of inches so you can keep your shield up longer if you know exactly when to drop it for a backstab.

Posted on Dec 12, 2012 12:18:19 PM PST
Also, ANYONE who is playing Dark Souls should immediately go look up EpicNameBro on Youtube and watch his tutorial videos.

Some of the item stats etc are off due to patches, but he gives a LOT of helpful information. And has some extremely interesting lore videos on Dark Souls.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 12, 2012 12:20:08 PM PST
Chris... says:
You're right, I didn't clarify that.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 12, 2012 12:21:00 PM PST
Yeah, I think that was the advice that hurt me the most as a newbie at this game. All I ever heard was "keep the shield up!!". And I kept thinking backstabs were impossible, and I kept running out of stamina to attack back, etc during alot of fights. Finally kind of figured it out that yeah, keep the shield up, but that only applies to the first time you encounter stuff, learn the patterns, and then learn WHEN to keep the shield up.

I've been really tempted to try a pure 2-handed build, no shield, and relying mainly on rolling. But I'm not sure if I'm that masochistic.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 12, 2012 12:22:26 PM PST
MrFoxhound says:
I see a lot of videos online where people just have the Grass Crest Shield solely for the stamina regen, and they rock two handed and know exactly when to roll out of the way.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 12, 2012 12:25:10 PM PST
Chris... says:
For me the toughest part of NG+ is from that mode and beyond you can be invaded by grave lords. The black phantoms the grave lords place in your game can be stroke inducing. I agree with you on the regular enemies of NG+ though, yes they're tougher but your equipment is also better so it evens out.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 12, 2012 12:31:37 PM PST
MrFoxhound says:
The equipment isn't necessarily better. The stats of the weapons and armor are the same when you find them in NG+ as they are in NG. Also, magic weapons become useless about half way through NG+. I had to get a new weapon around the time I got to Anor Londo because my +5 Lightning Gargoyle Halberd was useless and it was taking way too many hits to drop enemies. You can level up your gear with shards and chunks, but that gear could be leveled up in NG.

The enemies are something like 2 1/2 times harder on NG+ than they were on NG. No other NG+ game has as much of an increase in difficulty than NG does when going to NG+. I've made it to NG++++.

Posted on Dec 12, 2012 12:34:41 PM PST
Peter Faden says:
So....is the gear better or does your gear carry over when you start a new game after finishing it the first time?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 12, 2012 12:39:56 PM PST
MrFoxhound says:
Your gear carries over, but the gear you find in NG++++++++ (however far you make it) is identical, stat-wise, to the gear you first find in your very first game.

It will still have the bonuses that you put on it via the blacksmiths, but eventually, the more + signs you put after NG, you're going to have to rely on skill and not gear to beat the enemies.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 12, 2012 12:42:23 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 12, 2012 12:45:29 PM PST
I poured over his vids prior to US launch, so I fully endorse this.

@Fox: You misunderstand. What I meant was that in NG+, you should have the timing down for most of the enemies so there isn't as much of a steep learning curve as going blind into an area. The dropped gear doesn't improve, but you are starting out with improved gear. Also, NG+ gives you a chance to learn a loved spell again, effectively doubling your ability to cast it at the cost of an attunement.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 12, 2012 12:51:32 PM PST
Yeah, I've seen people do it too, I still don't know if I can though lol. I mean I'm decent at timing but really dont think I'm good enough at the game to be able to take on something like O&S without a shield. Or even the Titanite demons, without a shield.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 12, 2012 12:53:24 PM PST
Yeah its kind of funny, he got voted the number one community member or some such on the Dark Souls facebook page, by like a REALLY overwhelming majority.

I got into his vids mainly due to the lore, I was really curious on what all I was missing so watched that, and then got into watching his other vids and realized he REALLY gives out a ton of great info for players, new and old.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 12, 2012 1:00:17 PM PST
Chris... says:
Yes the enemies are tougher but so is your character. Your HP will be considerably higher, and depending on how you chose to upgrade, your endurance should be maxed out of close to maxed out and your estus flask should be at +5 or +6. You should also have at least two maxed out weapons at that point coupled with maxed out spells. The enemies move set doesn't change either. Yes they hit harder but there shouldn't be anything they can do to surprise you at this point.

I was able to beat the Asylum demon, Taurus demon, Havel, the Helkite Dragon, the Gargoyles, the Hydra, and two Black Knights without any issue. The only thing that's caused me any amount of heartache up to that point was being invaded by a grave lord servent and having to deal with his black phantoms.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 12, 2012 1:04:53 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 12, 2012 1:06:26 PM PST
I miss the CRS in that fight. I'll admit that I really, really tried to not use that shield to kill people as it was seriously OP, but it was a requirement for the first time I faced those d-bags(O&S, that is).

@Chris...: It's fun, though, because you can invade the servant's world and exact justice.

Posted on Dec 12, 2012 1:16:17 PM PST
Chris... says:
His phantoms kept double teaming me and I must of died 10 times in a row. I almost lost a controller that day.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 12, 2012 1:20:44 PM PST
Sars says:
everytime i go to kick that one guy off the ledge i always practice first lol.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 12, 2012 1:22:14 PM PST
With who?

<setup>

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 12, 2012 1:29:01 PM PST
Most of my Demon's Souls builds were 2-handed builds. My next Dark Souls build is a dual dagger wielding dex build.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 12, 2012 1:29:36 PM PST
Sars says:
my wife

Posted on Dec 12, 2012 1:31:57 PM PST
Error says:
Nice to see a couple people in the same boat as me, having just started the game. I feel like I've had an epic adventure already and I'm only exploring around the Hellkite Dragon.

Posted on Dec 12, 2012 2:01:03 PM PST
MoultonHawk says:
This might be the greatest game in VGF history, so beloved and timeless.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  31
Total posts:  822
Initial post:  Dec 9, 2012
Latest post:  Apr 7, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions