Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

Jonathan Blow says The Witness will run faster on PS4 than PC

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-11 of 11 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 13, 2013 6:10:23 AM PDT
www.vg247.com/2013/03/12/jonathan-blow-says-the-witness-will-run-faster-on-ps4-than-pc/

In an interview with EDGE, Jonathan Blow talked about performance on PS4 vs. PC on his upcoming game The Witness, and he said "the equivalent game will run faster" on PS4. I'm not really sure what that means, but the context is after the jump.

"For The Witness we're mostly interested in the base machine and how fast it is - the fact it has faster RAM than a PC."

Indeed, the PS4 will have 8GB of GDDR5 RAM, while your regular high-end PC only has DDR3 RAM. But the comparison is about more than just RAM speed.

"[RAM] really helps in shuttling graphics resources around, and since it's not running a heavyweight operating system like Windows that gets in the way of your graphics. Rendering stuff through Windows has an impact on performance. Since a console is just about games, that doesn't happen, and the equivalent game will run faster. And if you can target to specific hardware you can make it run faster, too."

Posted on Mar 13, 2013 6:22:22 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 13, 2013 6:22:45 AM PDT
Seeing as how even the most demanding PC games often don't use more than 4 gigs of ram it will be interesting to see just how much of an effect this has.

I'll be shocked if anything comes close to Metro 2033 running on ultra with tessellation maxed at 60 fps.

Posted on Mar 13, 2013 6:30:07 AM PDT
Run faster you say?
Oh thanks for letting me know.

Posted on Mar 13, 2013 6:35:07 AM PDT
Does this change the way that the game plays, such as you can move faster? No? Oh, thanks for telling us something that makes no difference to the average end-user, Jonathan. If a game is optimized for one system, of COURSE it's going to run more efficiently on that system. It would be more strange if a port was superior to the original.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 13, 2013 6:42:09 AM PDT
Kirksplosion says:
Right. Can't say I'm too concerned about which system gets better performance with a game largely about line puzzles. I really just want to know how much longer we PC gamers will have to wait after the PS4 release...

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 13, 2013 6:45:09 AM PDT
new Tron says:
That's my concern too, since I'm not planning on getting a PS4 until 2Q of next year at the earliest.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 13, 2013 6:49:38 AM PDT
I have to say, that was my plan as well, then I got this fat bonus at work and was like "PS4? No, I can't, I just. . ." and I'm looking for a preorder right now. Le sigh.

Posted on Mar 13, 2013 6:51:18 AM PDT
got mayo?™ says:
I'm sure i can wait however long it takes to play this $15 downloadable game on my PC. It looks great, just not 'buy a system for it great'.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 13, 2013 7:00:01 AM PDT
Good luck with that. None of my local stores are taking any preorders yet. GS told me to just put some money on my card and use that when it starts, but that doesn't quite have the same effect as a preorder as it doesn't guarantee me a console at release.

Yes, it is official. I'm going to be day-1'ing this console as long as it's going to have at least 1 game that I would buy at any rate.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 13, 2013 7:19:36 AM PDT
Best Buy points for me one the first one (or most of it) and the second I will have to pony over the cash.

Posted on Mar 13, 2013 8:49:56 AM PDT
Ninja'd.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  9
Total posts:  11
Initial post:  Mar 13, 2013
Latest post:  Mar 13, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions