Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

To all the Vita haters- Remember when the PSP started slow?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 109 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 11, 2012 8:05:58 AM PST
http://www.psxextreme.com/vita-news/251.html

The PlayStation Vita hasn't sold as well as anticipated, and there are plenty of legitimate reasons for its slow start.

For the most part, the skeptics and naysayers have a lot of ammunition, and good reason to be concerned about the future of Sony's new portable device. However, the rampant negativity surrounding the handheld reminds me very much of the first year of the PSP's existence.

The doom and gloom was even bigger for that one and unsurprisingly, many cited the same culprits: It was too expensive and there weren't enough games. Some of the more hostile and caustic flat-out laughed at Sony's attempt to enter the handheld market, especially when Nintendo had a veritable stranglehold on that corner of the gaming industry. You could find at least one article a week that predicted a premature end for the PSP and if you check around now, you can find essentially the same reactions to the Vita.

But hey, it seems to be the norm for Sony over the past seven or eight years. The PSP, the PS3, the Vita...they all face the same sort of slings and arrows, and they all end up doing just fine. The PSP ended up selling quite well and it even outstripped the DS more than a few times during the last couple of years. All told, the PSP has gone on to sell over 80 million units worldwide and that isn't exactly the hallmark of a failure; in fact, it's precisely the opposite. Of course, the Vita has the mobile market explosion to deal with so that's a whole new problem, but my point remains.

Crucifying the Vita early on, especially when haters are basically using the same arguments we've heard over and over for different Sony platforms (platforms that have done very well), seems like a bad idea. Just sayin'.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 11, 2012 8:08:08 AM PST
Soulshine says:
You dirty Xbot. Leave Vita alone!

Posted on Dec 11, 2012 8:09:25 AM PST
GarionOrb says:
"many cited the same culprits: It was too expensive and there weren't enough games."

LOL...what console launch ever went off without the "[console name] has no gaemz!!11!!!" criticism? People can be pretty unreasonable sometimes.

Posted on Dec 11, 2012 8:10:24 AM PST
Super R-Typ0 says:
For defending her honor so vehemently and often, I do believe you can get to third base with the Vita.

Posted on Dec 11, 2012 8:12:11 AM PST
My choices for lunch today:

Roast Turkey, Pepperoni & Provolone with Spinach & Banana Peppers
Chicken Parm
Grilled Vegetable Burger with Turkey Bacon & Sautéed Mushrooms

I think I'll go with the turkey sammich.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 11, 2012 8:13:38 AM PST
Soulshine says:
"Grilled Vegetable Burger with Turkey Bacon & Sautéed Mushrooms"

Everything is wrong with that "burger".

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 11, 2012 8:13:49 AM PST
Don't try to derail a positive Vita article, you hater!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 11, 2012 8:14:51 AM PST
I love the Vita and ... well ... I love you too Jason!!

And I agree Soul.

Posted on Dec 11, 2012 8:15:40 AM PST
Bionix01 says:
I hope it keeps selling well enough so games come out for it but bad enough that they are between 10-20 bucks within a month. My wallet will be happy as will be my backlog

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 11, 2012 8:15:59 AM PST
I'd go with chicken parm.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 11, 2012 8:16:41 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 11, 2012 8:17:39 AM PST
I'm Sicilian. My ancestors would come back from the grave to shiv me.

On topic though ... I am thinking about picking up Ragnarok. Anyone have it?

Posted on Dec 11, 2012 8:19:00 AM PST
I think the Vita will be fine. I would be willing to bet the PSP took off when it was sold below $200. Once they cut the Vita price to reasonable, it will take off too.

Posted on Dec 11, 2012 8:24:51 AM PST
Benpachi says:
I'm getting really tired of these threads.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 11, 2012 8:26:25 AM PST
Then don't click on pro-Vita threads if you are tired of them.

Posted on Dec 11, 2012 8:26:34 AM PST
Spudkitty says:
I love my Vita. That is all.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 11, 2012 8:26:41 AM PST
J. Pardee says:
Chicken Parm sounds much better. I need to make that again sometime for my lunches. I just hate cooking it.

I should be getting Ragnarok Odyssey in the mail either today or tomorrow. I won't get to it for a while though since I am in the middle of P4G already.

Posted on Dec 11, 2012 8:27:42 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 11, 2012 8:28:07 AM PST
Lyrick_ says:
The PSP had rather miserable software sales in North America, and even globally especially when compared to its competitor. Sony can scream that it sold 80 million units all it wants to, but when the top selling PSP software titles never break 5 Million (which is where the top selling DS software lists start), it paints a different picture of the platforms success.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 11, 2012 8:28:02 AM PST
I have to see what it looks like. I hate thick chicken cutlets. I like my cutlets thin.

Yeah I have P4G to get through and I think I ordered LBP Vita as well. I heard Ragnarok was like Monster Hunter Lite .. which means it's like Gods Burst for PSP .. which I really enjoyed.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 11, 2012 8:30:35 AM PST
GarionOrb says:
It's really not fair to expect ANY PSP or Vita game to outsell the likes of Mario, which is pretty much guaranteed over 5 million in sales. Just because the PSP didn't reach Nintendo's heights doesn't mean it never made Sony any money and that it's a complete failure.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 11, 2012 8:30:40 AM PST
Benpachi says:
I'm tired of all of these speculation threads in general. You post like ten of them a day.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 11, 2012 8:31:45 AM PST
Then do not click on them. We both win.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 11, 2012 8:32:01 AM PST
I dunno, Nintendo ruled the home console world too but Sony mopped the floor with them in the PS1 and PS2 eras. I would be willing to bet Sony expects great sales. They thought they were going to sell 16 million Vitas in year one.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 11, 2012 8:33:14 AM PST
Chocolette says:
I like this scenario. Very much indeed.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 11, 2012 8:35:15 AM PST
Chocolette says:
It's very hack and slash-y. I really like the card system. There's a lot of customization that way.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 11, 2012 8:37:02 AM PST
J. Pardee says:
I would agree, the thick ones aren't nearly as good. medium thickness isn't terrible but the thinner ones are definitely better.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  30
Total posts:  109
Initial post:  Dec 11, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 12, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions