Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

This generation's essential hidden gems??

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 85 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 12, 2012 10:43:10 AM PST
JWK says:
In a matter of days, Nintendo will kick off the eighth console generation and a new generation of games. We can expect even more speculation about what the PS4 and Durango/XBox 720 will bring to the table. As the 7th generation enters its twilight years, the inevitable "Greatest Games of the Generation" lists will start emerging from various websites, featuring an entirely predictable onslaught of Fallout, Gears of War, Uncharted, Red Dead Redemption, Call of Duty, and Mario Galaxy. We've seen these lists before and they serve no purpose other than to fan the flames of fanboyism; "Why is GTA IV so high on the list?!?!?!"

So my question is, what about the also-rans? Games that were incredibly good, but got lost between critical acclaim and user consumption? Games that didn't have $50 M+ of development cost, but deserve to be experienced by every gamer nonetheless? List 5 to 10 of your favorite hidden gems from this generation!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 12, 2012 10:46:23 AM PST
GarionOrb says:
Portal/Portal 2
Journey
Flower
Deadly Premonition
Bayonetta
Xenoblade Chronicles
Rayman Origins

Posted on Nov 12, 2012 10:47:43 AM PST
JWK says:
I'd say Muramasa (Wii), Rage, Dust: An Elysian Tail, Nier, Just Cause 2, Red Faction: Guerilla, and Max Payne 3 should be experienced by everyone, even if it's just for a couple of hours.

Posted on Nov 12, 2012 10:49:23 AM PST
jtshiel says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 12, 2012 10:51:03 AM PST
KrisCo says:
I love Muramasa, I would include this as well.

Posted on Nov 12, 2012 10:51:04 AM PST
GyozaSauce says:
Prince of Persia (2008)
Shadows of the Damned

Posted on Nov 12, 2012 10:51:39 AM PST
FOGE says:
Enslaved

Posted on Nov 12, 2012 10:52:35 AM PST
Gameresq says:
Kirby's Return to Dreamland
A Boy and His Blob
Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn
Mini Ninjas
Final Fantasy IV: The After Years

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 12, 2012 10:52:38 AM PST
JWK says:
Jason talks a lot about Move Heroes. I can usually tell if he's joking, but I can't tell if he really likes the game or he's just riling up the MDF (Move Defense Force).

Posted on Nov 12, 2012 10:53:11 AM PST
Benpachi says:
Muramasa: The Demon Blade- Not exactly hidden, but that is one shiny gem. Still my favorite game this generation, for anyone with knowledge of or interest in Japanese lore, it is a remarkable experience.

Dragon Ball: Revenge of King Piccolo- Surprisingly fun sidescroller about the original Dragon Ball story.

Ar Tonelico Qoga: Knell of Ar Ciel- If you can get past the perviness, there is a great JRPG to be played.

Akai Katana- This is probably the most fun I've ever had with a bullet hell shmup.

Arc Rise Fantasia- If you turn of the voice acting, it's one of the best JRPGs this generation. The music is amazing.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 12, 2012 10:53:26 AM PST
JWK says:
+1

Enslaved is awesome.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 12, 2012 10:55:00 AM PST
JWK says:
Just bought Akai Katana. Incredible game... but I'm horr-aweful at bullet hell shmups.

Posted on Nov 12, 2012 11:02:20 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 12, 2012 11:05:21 AM PST
MrFoxhound says:
Tenchu Z
The Darkness
Dark Sector
Alone in the Dark

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 12, 2012 11:04:41 AM PST
Split/Second
Dark Sector
Singularity
Vanquish
Mad World
No More Heroes
Rage
Heavenly Sword
Army of Two
Deadly Premonition

Now we need to stop talking about these "hidden gems" and start playing them...time is a wasting people!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 12, 2012 11:06:23 AM PST
Benpachi says:
Glad you like it, great game. Practice makes perfect with these games, well, not perfect, but practice makes you suck less!

Posted on Nov 12, 2012 11:06:25 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 12, 2012 11:07:22 AM PST
Lucanus says:
Wario Shake It is actually quite fun. Very underrated game. Same goes for Punch Out.

Posted on Nov 12, 2012 11:09:47 AM PST
Kin-foot says:
Deadly Premonition
Bayonetta
Rayman Origins
Vanquish
Enslaved

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 12, 2012 11:10:36 AM PST
Gameresq says:
Agreed - Warioland: Shake It! is fantastic

Posted on Nov 12, 2012 11:10:44 AM PST
That Emu Kid says:
Lair
Too Human
Legendary
Rogue Warrior

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 12, 2012 11:11:06 AM PST
You forgot Haze and Damnation.

Posted on Nov 12, 2012 11:12:48 AM PST
elect Tron says:
People have already listed some of my favorite hidden gems (Muramasa, Nier, Bayonetta, etc....). Here are a few more.

Vanquish - I still don't understand how this game didn't get more attention. I think it's better than any other third person shooter I've played this generation, Gears of War and Uncharted series included.

The Witcher - the sequel got a lot of attention, but the first game in the series was amazing as well. One of the most involving, engaging, and best RPGs I played this generation. Too bad its only availiabe on PC, because it deserves to be played by more people.

Infamous 2 - one of the best open world action games of this generation. Still my favorite controlling game along with Super Meat Boy of any game this gen.

F.E.A.R.3 - it seems that not a lot of people realized that this game actually has one of the best co-op campaigns of this gen. Incredible stuff.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 12, 2012 11:14:40 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 12, 2012 12:22:55 PM PST
I'd take out Portal 1/2, Journey, and possibly Rayman Origins.

Not because they aren't great but they are hardly hidden and highly praised. I say maybe with Rayman as it didn't seem to do well at first but sold steady for a very long time and the reception was almost all positive.

Posted on Nov 12, 2012 11:14:47 AM PST
Shanghaied says:
Mad World
Virtua Fighter 5
Viking: Battle for Asgard
Bayonetta
Mirror's Edge
Terraria
Shogun: Total War 2
Faster Than Light

Some of the ones that don't get enough recognition/credit in my opinion.

Posted on Nov 12, 2012 11:49:58 AM PST
P. Jarvi says:
2 children's games turned out to be quite enjoyable to the extent that I played them through from beginning to end without regret and got the full 1,000 achievement points for each (on 360):
-Disney's Bolt
-Open Season (based on the movie with the CGI bear, deer, and militant woodchucks or whatever they were)

Some other faves:
-Thrillville: Off the Rails
-The Simpsons Game
-House of the Dead: Overkill
-Defense Grid
-Crackdown
-Pushmo (3DS)

Posted on Nov 12, 2012 11:50:09 AM PST
Technosapien says:
Alpha Protocol.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  39
Total posts:  85
Initial post:  Nov 12, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 13, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions