Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

Next-gen consoles will struggle to beat PC, say industry insiders

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 84 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Jan 10, 2013 6:26:32 AM PST
My PC is about 5 years old now. The ONLY money I put into it was over this past summer, I spent about $150 putting in a new video card and power supply as after being about 4 and a half years old the machine was starting to make me have to set my settings to low to play certain games.

PC's no longer need the constant upgrades, if you get a decent gaming rig, it will usually last you 3-5 years before you need to upgrade. And yes, I spent about $600 on the thing in the first place, so about the same cost as a launch PS3.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 10, 2013 5:01:23 AM PST
Kin-foot says:
I just might do that! Thanks

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 10, 2013 4:59:06 AM PST
Sign up for Newegg's emailer. I just received 10-25% off coupons on virtually their entire store and they send those out every few weeks.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 10, 2013 4:58:00 AM PST
Kin-foot says:
Slowly getting there. Thanks to all the Humble Bundles, I can say I have a Steam backlog already ;)

I really need to update my computer before I get into anything bigger than an indie game though.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 10, 2013 4:48:48 AM PST
You should!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 10, 2013 4:48:35 AM PST
Nvidia is developing their own gaming system.

Posted on Jan 10, 2013 3:48:07 AM PST
Kin-foot says:
I know I've been thinking about going back to PC gaming.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 10, 2013 1:20:39 AM PST
I think he means that consoles are dependent upon tech developed by PC-focused companies like nVidia...but I'm not sure.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 10, 2013 12:02:50 AM PST
E. Manns says:
Do you mean PC companies, like NVidia, are developing consoles? Or PC companies are developing consoles that have specs or tech like NVidia's graphics cards? Honestly not sure which you mean.

Posted on Jan 9, 2013 2:44:19 AM PST
Since PC companies are developing consoles like Nvidia, then sure, it's hard to beat PC.

Posted on Jan 9, 2013 1:21:06 AM PST
I'm currently finding it much easier to plug a 360 controller into my laptop to play XCOM and Skyrim than I am finding the motivation to boot up my 360 to play any number of titles in my backlog...

Posted on Jan 9, 2013 1:09:29 AM PST
E. Manns says:
On one hand, consoles have been very attractive for me since the Genesis because it had all the "right" hardware to run games smoothly for the life of the console, my friends could come over and we could share a game and play on the same screen, and because my mom dominated the family PC and had it christened "for work Only!" That continued till very recently because my PC of choice was Mac (please no jokes, I choose them for their longevity and serving my art needs not gaming, and I played Escape Velocity far more and longer than any CoD game).

Now that I'm an adult with an apartment and a job and stuff, I'm at a crossroads. Because, now, the other hand is that I learned how to build a (pretty sweet) desktop for $600, I love multiplayer games more than anything else (can't get into the dedication required for MMO's though) but my 360 costs (average) $40 to play online for a year, and the audio and graphical potential of PC gaming is vastly greater. I'm looking greedily at Steam sales and several PC classics I missed out on, the performance of a mouse & keyboard, and genres that just aren't done often or well on consoles (space flight sims, RTS like StarCraft II, exploration games like Myst... Are there any new Myst-like beautiful games?).

The only thing holding me back from completely switching from PC (tho I did enjoy Halo 4), is none of my friends (except 1) have a gaming PC. We're not just talking LIVE buddies scattered around the continent, even the 5 guys I still hang out with from our days in school think PCs are for writing essays (we don't have to do that anymore guys!) or shopping online. I don't WANT to live a cyber-life, lose one of the main activities for guests to do while hanging out.

I'm not arguing that PC or console should win, I'm ASKING, how do I optimize my free time and meager budget without becoming something of a hermit?

(I need more friends that like outdoors stuff, lol).

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2013 10:07:16 PM PST
Sudeley says:
Consoles will never come close or compete directly with pc ever.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2013 9:47:11 PM PST
And yet I don't see you buying many PC games how strange...

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2013 8:34:25 PM PST
who is AEK says:
.........only someone that knows NOTHING about PC gaming would even attempt to believe that you would have to upgrade your PC every year to continue to play the newest games.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 28, 2012 2:02:53 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 28, 2012 2:03:41 PM PST
That's up to the person about which has better graphics the PC or The Game consoles, personally I've seen both and have never seen any difference between the high end graphics quality of a PC to the PS3 or Xbox 360. The area that turned me away from PC gaming was the need for continual upgrading such as the requirement for more and faster memory and a improved video card or audio card plus a faster CPU.

Why spend hundreds of dollars every year to upgrade a PC so I can play the newest game rather then just get the Xbox 360/PS3 and at most have to get a bigger storage device.

Posted on Dec 28, 2012 1:51:01 PM PST
Mole5 says:
Consoles back in my day never had to compete with PC. I didn't care that my SNES didn't have graphics like Mechwarrior 2 did on PC, same as I didn't care that my N64 didn't look as good as games like Half-Life and Deus Ex. Same with my PS2 and Xbox, I didn't care that they didn't look as good as PC, they still had games that I loved to play that PC didn't have, and vice versa. These days, consoles and PC's get basically get all multiplats, there's very few exclusives now.

Consoles should not compete with PC. Gaming as a whole was MUCH better when PC and consoles were separate platforms. Now they're talking about having digital distribution on the next consoles too. XD They better put a 2tb hard drive (at least 1.5tb) in the next consoles if they want digital distribution. Not to mention, "next gen" tech is expensive. I think they should aim at having a $400-$500 console, if they want to be a big leap over the Wii U. This will also cause the Wii U price to undoubtedly drop, which will make me consider buying one even more.

Posted on Dec 21, 2012 8:46:04 PM PST
PCmites

Posted on Dec 21, 2012 8:41:00 PM PST
PC World Order

Posted on Dec 21, 2012 7:36:31 PM PST
HorizonBrave says:
Alright, alright folks. Yes consoles have that ''hassle-free'' approach, but it's becoming more and more limited as years pass by and PCs become faster and the digital platforms more organic.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 4:42:59 PM PST
Lmao....again

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 4:41:39 PM PST
Lol

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 4:38:08 PM PST
Lyrick_ says:
With Gamefly you also have access to 300+ something PC games to be used at your leisure.

http://www.gamefly.com/download-games/browse/?pf=1100&cat=UnlimitedPlay

Not to mention the discounts available to you on PC titles.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 4:31:09 PM PST
Joel H. says:
Well i mean i like to rent everything day one if i can. PC doesn't really give you that option. With gamefly you can play 3-4 new games a month for $30 or so.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 4:24:33 PM PST
Lyrick_ says:
I can purchase games on steam for less than it costs to rent for a couple days on console.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  34
Total posts:  84
Initial post:  Dec 21, 2012
Latest post:  Jan 10, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions