Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

OT: Santa Claus

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 37 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Dec 24, 2012 8:16:52 AM PST
Kirksplosion says:
Oh yeah, it's dumb. But I like to imagine a dad who spent lots of time getting the costume just right, working hard on getting the "ho ho ho" down to mask who he is, getting a burlap sack and wrapping a bunch of boxes to put into it. Alright, hours of work complete and...they're running away from me?! Oh no they don't!! Hehe, can't imagine anything but absolute frustration causing someone to make such a goofy decision.

Or he was just a jerk.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 24, 2012 8:08:51 AM PST
badeggsalad says:
My parents were all about the religion. I get it, I understand. And I plan on telling my kids the real meaning behind the holiday as well, but I never understood why Santa was such a bad thing as a kid. I think it's possible to have Santa as part of the holiday & still celebrate the religious part of the holiday as well. Santa always just made me sad & that sucks as a kid.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 24, 2012 8:08:06 AM PST
Finger says:
That's really messed up. "Don't like me? I'll smack you until you do!"

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 24, 2012 8:07:17 AM PST
That reminds me of my Disney World experience.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 24, 2012 8:05:21 AM PST
Kirksplosion says:
LOL. That's great. And, yeah, exactly. I don't want that sort of silly scenario playing out. If the kid has figured it out, that just means you don't have to wake up at ungodly hours to put out the presents, ha.

Speaking of Santa anecdotes, my dad told me a funny one just yesterday. He had two childhood friends who had a visit from Santa a few days before the big day. When he came in, they ran away screaming and hid under the beds, only to have Santa drag them out from underneath the bed and spank them. I'm assuming the dressed-up father was punishing them for being scared of Santa (which is already silly), and decided to do so in the least productive way. For the following years, when asked by strangers whether they were looking forward to Santa coming, you can't help but imagine their terror-stricken faces.

Posted on Dec 24, 2012 8:04:18 AM PST
YIGT says:
My wife wasnt a santa person by my family is big santa folks. So we are by default santa lite people. The only big thing i do is something my dad would do. I take some soot from a candle or oil lamp and wipe it on his cheek. It is santa giving him a kiss before he leaves after dropping off presents. Its something special that nobody else gets. I use to think I was the coolest kid because it only happen to me. So I hope it works for him.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 24, 2012 7:56:54 AM PST
" an unknown dude sneaking into our house?"

Damn it, you are just never going to let me live that down.

*Sees thread title.*

Oh, right....um....carry on.

Posted on Dec 24, 2012 7:55:51 AM PST
C. Zajic says:
I can understand parents not wanting to deceive their kids but just all out ruining the spirit is really just being a spoil sport.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 24, 2012 7:52:37 AM PST
GUEST!! says:
Heh. I was talking with my cousins and my aunt on Saturday at the party we threw. The oldest cousin said that when she told her Mom she knew Santa wasn't real anymore her Mom said Santa doesn't deliver presents to non-believers. She said "Got it. Message received," and when her little brother told her that he didn't believe anymore she said "Well MOM said..." and her brother winks and says "Message received." They both lied to their Mom for years about believing in Santa.

Posted on Dec 24, 2012 7:42:53 AM PST
badeggsalad says:
I plan on doing the Santa think w/my kids someday. I was never allowed to believe in him, the Easter Bunny, the Tooth Fairy, or any other fun holiday related figure. My parents insisted on me not believing & shot down every attempt on my part. I desperately wanted to be like the other kids & always felt like I was missing out.

I had very strict instructions not to ruin it for the other kids though.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 24, 2012 7:42:12 AM PST
Kirksplosion says:
Haha, that's exactly it, CCG.

Yeah, we'll have Santa Claus. We just find it to be a fun enough tradition to keep the fib going, and hope she won't be devastated that we haven't been exactly honest for so many years, heh. I don't want to want to go too over the top with it, though. Just enough that I won't feel too bad when she finds out/we reveal it to her. I mean, if she asks, I'll probably just throw back a "Do you think he's real?" and play it by ear from there. If the "magic" is already kind of lost for her, I don't see a reason to perpetuate it.

Heck, by then the conversation will probably be, "Dad, I Googled whether Santa was real or not. I won't tell the other kids." "Oh...uh, good talk, then..."

Posted on Dec 24, 2012 7:40:24 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 24, 2012 7:41:01 AM PST
C. Zajic says:
My step-kids asked if Santa was real when they were 6 and I told them the story of St.Nicholas, how someone was inspired to give and became a symbol of giving. That was the real Santa. I'll wait till they're older and tell them about how this symbol has become twisted over the years to be a corporate salesman.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 24, 2012 7:23:29 AM PST
GUEST!! says:
Nope, because my parents are actually decent people.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 24, 2012 7:21:22 AM PST
Smarty says:
Did you get slapped?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 24, 2012 7:14:55 AM PST
GUEST!! says:
I was evidently an astute little ohfker. I figured out the Santa thing around Four and immediately said to Mom "So did you lie to me about that Jesus thing too?"

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 24, 2012 7:12:39 AM PST
GUEST!! says:
My wife and I tonight are helping my in-laws keep the Santa thing alive for our nieces and nephew. The kids are meeting my in laws at the house to go to church for the evening and there will be no gifts under the tree. When they're out we get into the house, break out the gifts, and plant them all under the tree.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 24, 2012 7:00:28 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 24, 2012 5:59:11 PM PST
Hahaha...Well i don't know about Santa or the Easter Bunny...but my children will surely know about Fairies AND the Great Pumpkin...of course!!! winks*

Posted on Dec 23, 2012 11:17:23 PM PST
R. J. Gutt says:
Santa Lives!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 23, 2012 10:30:53 PM PST
Finger says:
Haha, ok I see. I just figure that I know I'm going to mess up my kid in about 34 different ways anyway, so what is there to lose? LOL

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 23, 2012 10:13:02 PM PST
Well, as a parent, you're kind of damned if you do and damned it you don't with the whole Santa situation. You're either a crusher of youthful dreams or you're a big fat liar. C'est la vie! ;-)

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 23, 2012 10:09:34 PM PST
Finger says:
Why guilty?

Posted on Dec 23, 2012 9:58:00 PM PST
No, I always found the idea creepy. My mom tells me to stay away from strange men bearing presents especially in the dark, except for Christmas when I'm supposed to think it's great that there is an unknown dude sneaking into our house?

Posted on Dec 23, 2012 9:53:59 PM PST
My kid has never been into the Santa thing, and I guess we've never done anything to perpetuate it. He sees Santa guys in the mall this time of year, and he finds them creepy. I can't blame him.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 23, 2012 9:41:43 PM PST
Banner says:
Ya know, I tell my kids about all those things and I feel guilty. Yet I would feel guilty coming clean too.

Posted on Dec 23, 2012 9:26:24 PM PST
Finger says:
I tell my kid to be good so that Santa will bring him lots of nice presents. I don't think he buys it; he always looks at me as if I'm crazy. I'm pretty sure he knows Santa is my checkbook so I'm screwed.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  21
Total posts:  37
Initial post:  Dec 23, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 24, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions