Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

So whats your history with gaming?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 89 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 1, 2013 8:04:32 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 1, 2013 8:12:37 AM PST
MwtMy first console I can remember in the house was the Sega Genesis. I couldn't even stand then but the first console I started playing was the N64(which was my older bothers console). I played all the great games like Mario 64,LOZ:OOT,golden eye but the best games I remember were Rush 2044,Road rash,Glover,Gex, Fighting Force 64 and Mario party 2. After that I got my very own console. My parents got me a dreamcast and I loved that console. Sonic adventure, Powerstone,House of the dead and even seaman. We all know how the dreamcast ended up so I got a ps2. My very first game was oni a game made by bungie. I'm about 10 at the time and me and my friend spent 4 hours trying to find where the hell L3 was.About a year later my ps2 stopped reading disks so I bought a xbox. Got a copy of halo 2,Def jam Fight for NY and fable and I've been hooked ever since.

Now I'm 19 and find most of the VGF older which I think is awesome. And I know some of you don't agree with my opinions but I do enjoy having a place just to talk games.

Posted on Mar 1, 2013 8:11:12 AM PST
Knowing that you are 19 makes a lot of sense, and I mean no disrespect with that.

My first console was an Atari 2600 that my parents bought in '81 I think when I was 4. Loved it from the first time I booted up Combat. Then I was a Nintendo guy all the way through the next 2 gens. I missed the bulk of the PS1 and PS2 eras due to partying and bars and stuff. Then in 2008 I got me an xbox 360 (because it was WAY cheaper than the PS3 at the time), played Bioshock and I was back into that gaming saddle again.

Posted on Mar 1, 2013 8:12:53 AM PST
The first console that was "mine" was the NES. I did go back to play my older brothers' Atari and ColecoVision consoles though. When I was about 9 or 10 I beat Raiders of the Lost Ark on 2600 without a walkthrough or cheat sheet ( no public Internet then.)

My favorite system ever is the SNES. My top 5 systems are SNES, Genesis, Turbo Duo, PSP and DS.

Posted on Mar 1, 2013 8:13:24 AM PST
Carlito says:
First console was an old radioshack Pong machine my parents bought a few years before I was born. It was probably 6-7 yrs old when I started playing it, and at the time, most of my gaming experience was arcades or at my grandma's house (she had the old wood panel 2600...she lovs Ms.Pac-Man.
The same year my parents hooked up the Pong machine, they got me the Atari 2600.
From there, got the NES which I had pretty much all through grade school, Genesis through Middle School, and then N64 and PS1 in High School. I had those two through most of college because I was busy spending money on beer than games but played PS2 and Dreamcast through other friends until finally getting a PS2 and Gamecube when I graduated.

That takes us up to today where I own Wii, PS3, and 360 now.

Posted on Mar 1, 2013 8:15:30 AM PST
Kin-foot says:
FBI told me I can't reveal that information.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 1, 2013 8:17:40 AM PST
I missed a bunch of ps1 games too Once I buy me a laptop imma get a ps1 emulator

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 1, 2013 8:24:34 AM PST
Junkiiiii says:
"I missed a bunch of ps1 games too Once I buy me a laptop imma get a ps1 emulator
" this is the kind of stuff that is not going to get you liked around here. I know you're 19 and all but chill with some of the stuff you say. I'm not trying to be rude just trying to help. Anyway......

I remember being at someone's house as a kid and playing Pitfall on the Atari 2600 and knowing that there was something special about this thing that you hooked up to the TV. I must have been 11 when I got my first console which was the Sega Master System. I think I got it for my B-day that year. I got it with Black Belt and Astro Warrior and remember playing the heck out of it. I received more games after that like Gangster Town, Ghostbusters, and a host of others. Then a year or so later I met one of my best friends until this day because he had heard from another mutual friend that I was into games and had the SMS. He then traded with me his NES for my SMS and it just kept going from there. All of my friends at the time were gamers. As we got older we went to arcades and tried out the latest and greatest fighters. It's been a steady love affair from then on. I've owed pretty much every major console released and will most likely continue until my hands give on me or death.

Posted on Mar 1, 2013 8:25:59 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 1, 2013 8:31:23 AM PST
That Emu Kid says:
I've liked playing video games as long as I can remember. My parents don't really get it, though, so we were only ever a one console household and never had a gaming PC. My favorites from the early days were Mega Man, Punch-Out!!, and Contra. I've never liked the pure platformers like Mario all that much, and that's true to this day. Now that I've got my own income, I have more systems and games than I know what to do with. I really have the urge to clear out a lot of my old collection I know I'll never revisit. The problem is most of the games are so old and crummy that I'll get pennies for them at trade-in, I have no familiarity with using ebay, and I'm not comfortable using craigslist.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 1, 2013 8:27:06 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 1, 2013 8:27:58 AM PST
That Emu Kid says:
Rather than resorting to piracy, you can get a PS3, PSP, or Vita and legitimately purchase and replay those classics.

Posted on Mar 1, 2013 8:29:04 AM PST
My first console was an atari 2600 that my parents bought for me (but really it was for dad) around 86 (i was born in 84). I remember playing it for a while (joust and frogger were my favorites) and then my parents bought their first hewlett packard home computer. It had solitaire and some rat game that you tried to block the cats in and get the cheese (can't remember the name). Finall when i was 5 (89) my parents bought me a NES. I didn't play it much and the trend continued when they bought me a SNES in 92. The only game i can remember playing for an extended amount of time were the Donkey Kong games and Super Mario RPG. Video games were little more than a time burner for me back then. I bought a playstation around 98 and didn't play a whole lot of games on that either except the occasional syphon filter and crash bandicoot.

The first time I can remember REALLY getting into video games is when i bought a used ps2 in 2001 that came with 2 games. Harvest Moon and Final Fantasy X. I quickly traded the harvest moon game and started up final fantasy x. Since then i have been hopelessly addicted to RPG's and any video game that had a good story. I played the crap out of that ps2 and played all of the retro final fantasy games, DQVIII, kingdom hearts 1 and 2, god of war series, and just anything I could get my hands on. Most of this time I was also in college. Safe to say that late high school and college had a lot to do with my love of video games. I picked up a ps3 in 2009 for fallout 3 and have been playing the same BC compatible ps3 while keeping an updated gaming rig for the past 4 years.

I'm 28 now, a wife, 2 kids, a full time job, a part time job, a mortgage and 2 car payments. Video games and movies are what my hobbies are these days. I have to be much more selective with what video games I choose to play now because any video games will take me at least a month or more of my time. But I still love teh video games

Posted on Mar 1, 2013 8:29:49 AM PST
My parents bought a Mattel Intellivision in the late 70's and that got me hooked. Then they got a Coleco ColecoVision in the early 80's until my friends at school were talking about the Atari 2600 which I had to talk them into getting. From there I think it was the NES and the SNES which are probably the most fun I had with gaming. I've always loved gaming and when I was old enough to start buying my own systems starting with the PS1 up until today I've been in total joy!

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 1, 2013 8:32:41 AM PST
The Drizzle says:
as far as i know, we had an NES before i was born. i cant remember a time where we didnt have a console in our home. i have a brother who is 4 years older, and it was his. i played pretty much just mario, duck hunt, gunsmoke, and contra.

for xmas one year, we both got a genesis to share. i played a lot of sonic and streets of rage. never had an SNES until many years later, around the time i got a gamecube.

with the n64/ps1 generation, my dad searched long and hard for an n64 for my birthday (around release), and had no luck. he came home with a ps1. later that year, my brother got an n64. this was the time where santa would forget who had which console, and i received wrestlemania 2000 for n64, and my brother received a few ps1 games.

the next gift from santa was a dreamcast for the two of us. we had house of dead, dynamite cop, MvC, and a few others. at that time, we got a puppy as well, who chewed up the controller cable hooked up to the console. for some reason, this destroyed the connection to 1p. a game would turn on and have no issues, but no matter which controller you plugged in, it wouldnt work.

then comes the next gen. santa brought me a gamecube (probably a year after it was released). i played the crap out of it. my brother got a ps2, which he then later sold and got an xbox. when i turned 17 and got my license and a job, i had money coming in, and nothing really to spend it on. i picked up a refurbished xbox soon after halo 2 was released. for xmas that year, my aunt got me the xbox live package that came with the airplane game (crimson skies?). my gaming took off. i played halo 2 online as much as i could. later that year, i picked up a ps2. took all three to college, and got rid of my ps2 when 360 came out.

got a 360 a few months after launch. loved it. was playing a 13 in tv with no hd, but it was great. got a wii at midnight and played so much zelda. picked up a ps2 shortly after to play games like god of war. sold that one soon after. finally got a ps3 in 2008.

in terms of handhelds, i had a gameboy, gameboy color, advanced sp, ds, psp, and now 3ds and vita.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 1, 2013 8:32:49 AM PST
I'm already planning on spending 600 - 700 on a laptop unless Microsoft makes me buy a nextbox at launch. For now ill stick to emulation.

Posted on Mar 1, 2013 8:33:57 AM PST
neu Tron says:
Got a 2600 when I was about 5, and was hooked for life.

Had an NES and then a Genesis. I also did a lot of PC gaming throughout the 90's.

Got a Playstation in 1997, and then bought a PS2 at launch. I barely gamed from 2007 thru 2009. Dark days.

My gf bought me a Wii in 2009, bought my own PS3 in 2010, and finally jumped back into PC gaming in 2012.

I plan on gaming as long as I'm physically able to. In my opinion, there is no better hobby.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 1, 2013 8:37:52 AM PST
The Drizzle says:
same here. my girlfriend, after 3 years of dating me, finally realized that gaming is what i love. she slowly started to learn, that if i am in a bad mood, just let me get it all out in a video game. she leaves me alone, and after a good hour, i am fine.

i love playing sports and hanging out and all that outside stuff, but when it comes down to it, there are days when i dont want to do anything but have a controller in my hands.

Posted on Mar 1, 2013 8:38:47 AM PST
Totido says:
My first systems were Fairchild Arcade, 2600 and Colecovision. Oddly, I skipped NES because I was into Amiga and Atari ST computers. Have had every console since (incuding 3DO and Jaquar) Oh, the money I've wasted over the years.

Posted on Mar 1, 2013 8:41:32 AM PST
First console was an Atari 600 Xl... parents bought it for me at a swap meet when I was 7 or so. Used to to do basic programming on it in addition to playing games like Star Raiders, B.C.'s Quest for Tires, Asteroids, Missile Command and my favorite at the time Gateway to Apshai.

Got an NES for Chanukah or X-mas a few years after that. Saved up enough money from odd jobs at 14 or so for the brand new Super Nintendo.

Didn't play games besides a few on my PC for a few years due to high school, girlfriends, hallucinogens and other sundry good times.

Bought a PS1. Died within a year. Returned it for another one. And one more time.

Bought a N64... it got stolen.

Bought a Dreamcast on launch day. Played it long after Sega gave up on it. It's still in my garage.

Didn't buy a PS2 until 2004 or so due to booze and the city of Chicago.

The PS2 kind of edged me back into games... and then the 360 sealed the deal.

Now I own the old Atari, NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii, 360, a couple Xboxs, PS3, DS, Vita & a Dreamcast.

I like to go back and pick up obscure and unique Xbox and PS1 games. Some of them have been pretty awesome. I highly recommend Call of Cthulhu : Dark Corners of the Earth.

Posted on Mar 1, 2013 8:43:01 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 1, 2013 9:02:32 AM PST
I was 3 or 4 when I started gaming on the NES, fumbling my way through the original Mario. My grandfather also had some arcade cabinets in his basement that I loved, ( would sit on a stool to reach the controls). Then, as I got older, I upgraded to the SNES, the Sega genesis, N64, PS1 and 2, GBC, PSP, I got my elder brother's xbox and currently could use his 360 if I wanted as well. For now, I have my PC, though I might only be able to use it until next gen hits if I want to play current titles, as it's struggling now. Gaming has probably been my biggest hobby since I was old enough to grab a controller I guess.

I still have all those old consoles in working condition, and a few backup ones too that I inherited from my brother, save for the NES. I like firing them up to play now and then.

TL:DR- NES->arcade cabinets->SNES-> Sega Genesis->N64->GBC->PS1/2->PSP->Xbox/360->PC, not exactly in that order but close enough.

Posted on Mar 1, 2013 8:45:29 AM PST
GAR says:
I started out playing on PC's back in the days of DOS, my girlfriends parents had a 2600 that we would play now and again. I used to download games off a BBS with a 300K modem. I play PC games until I bought a PS2 and that started me down the consol gaming path.

Posted on Mar 1, 2013 8:45:54 AM PST
House had a SNES, when I went over to Grandmas we had a NES, I also had a GB, GBC and GBA. I didn't realize how deeply rooted into nintendo I was. Too bad they started to suck.

Posted on Mar 1, 2013 8:47:05 AM PST
My first console was Atari 2600, then Atari 5200, then coleco vision. That all started back in 1982 and I've been hooked since and I'm 44 Years old..I played up until 1989 and then started back in 1997 with the dreamcast then ps1, Xbox ,ps2, and now PS3. I do like Xbox but prefer Sony PlayStation. I must admit that gaming is so addictive I'd rather do this than drinking and smoking. I put my $$$ toward my games. RPG`s are my favorite.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 1, 2013 8:48:32 AM PST
MrFoxhound says:
Dreamcast didn't come out until 1999 in NA.

Posted on Mar 1, 2013 8:51:38 AM PST
BryanOPs says:
snes made me a gamer

so it was like this

snes > sega genesis > PS > N64(my little bro bought it)> PS2 > NGC > GBA > PSP > PS3 > probably ps4

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 1, 2013 8:54:22 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 1, 2013 8:59:38 AM PST
Kirksplosion says:
I started on the NES. My brother, ten years my elder, loved video games, so we had that system at the house since I can remember, and I started playing a little by the time I was three. He got the SNES a couple years later and Genesis not too long after that, and we played a ton on those systems. When he moved onto college around '94, I inherited those systems. And it was during that same time period that I started getting into PC gaming - mostly remember playing the Doom games and Blizzard titles.

The first console that I considered "mine" was the N64. Very fond memories of the system with countless hours spent on Mario 64, Goldeneye, Ocarina of Time, and Shadows of the Empire. From there it was six long years before I picked up my next system - the XBox. Played Halo at a friend's house, and that convinced me to get one. I was quite content with my console choice for the generation for years...until I played Guitar Hero at a Gamestop in 2005. Then I HAD to have a PS2 to play it. From there I got the Wii a couple years later, PS3 a year after that, and finally a 360 in 2011. PC gaming pretty well remained a constant throughout the years, except for about 2007 - 2009 (poor college kid, dumpy laptop).

In a nutshell, my gaming timeline: NES - SNES - Genesis - PC - N64 - Xbox - PS2 - Wii - PS3 - 360

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 1, 2013 8:54:50 AM PST
Awesome
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  52
Total posts:  89
Initial post:  Mar 1, 2013
Latest post:  Mar 4, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions