Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

Controversial God of War: Ascension trophy altered in upcoming patch

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 336 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 11, 2013 3:43:33 PM PDT
Kin-foot says:
In a statement sent to Joystiq, developer Sony Santa Monica has confirmed it will change the name of a controversial God of War: Ascension trophy in a patch that should be available alongside the game on Tuesday. Once the patch is applied, the name of the trophy will be "Bros Before Foes."

Originally named "Bros Before Hos" (as seen above), the trophy pops up after you help God of War's anti-hero, Kratos, brutally pummel a Fury, one of a trio of female antagonists in the game. (Though it's not a spoiler in light of the fact that Kratos beats everyone up, we've omitted the trophy description.) The change comes after negative reaction from early reviews to the jarring scene on and the attached award, which is perceived as misogynistic.

"We have created and will soon push out a patch for God of War: Ascension that alters the title of one of the game Trophies. The text was offensive to some members of our community and impacted their enjoyment of the game," Sony Santa Monica's statement noted. "We are endlessly committed to ensuring that our community can fully enjoy the experiences the team has created. As such, we've addressed the feedback and amended the Trophy in question."

Players will be instructed to download the update once God of War: Ascension has been inserted into an internet-connected PlayStation 3.

God of War: Ascension launches exclusively for the PlayStation 3 on March 12, 2013. For more on the game, check out Joystiq's review.

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/03/11/controversial-god-of-war-ascension-trophy-altered-in-upcoming-p/

Posted on Mar 11, 2013 3:44:55 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 11, 2013 3:45:19 PM PDT
DVvM says:
Alluding to the idiom is always going to be cleverer than just parroting the idiom, anyway.

I am pleased by this.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 11, 2013 3:48:06 PM PDT
Rev. Otter says:
<<Alluding to the idiom is always going to be cleverer than just parroting the idiom, anyway.>>

i dunno, i will *always* laugh at DCUO's "Some Days You Just Can't Get Rid of a Bomb" feat. always.

/and double for the "Tactleneck" style feat, but not nearly as many people get that reference

Posted on Mar 11, 2013 3:49:01 PM PDT
GarionOrb says:
The pussification of America continues.

Posted on Mar 11, 2013 3:49:50 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 11, 2013 3:50:23 PM PDT
I.Flores says:
The terrorists have already won.

Posted on Mar 11, 2013 3:51:48 PM PDT
So it is okay for a male to beat a female so long as she isn't alluded to be a ho?

I don't think it was that big of a deal. When Sony first party games have trophies with titles like TouchMy Rear and Rub One Out then I doubt that Bros Before Hos would have generated too much outrage.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 11, 2013 3:52:27 PM PDT
DVvM says:
Well, maybe parroting the idiom, quote, phrase etc. can still be funny if it's something subtle, but there was very little subtle about the original name for the trophy.

"Bros before Foes" is a much funnier name.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 11, 2013 3:54:15 PM PDT
Ice King says:
It does sound like it fits more into the game. I just don't like seeing easily offended babies appeased.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 11, 2013 3:54:18 PM PDT
GarionOrb says:
Except Orkos is rebelling against his mother, not some random "foe". Now the trophy really makes no sense.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 11, 2013 3:54:29 PM PDT
I.Flores says:
>So it is okay for a male to beat a female so long as she isn't alluded to be a ho?<

If said female is dangerous enough to rip your head off without second thoughts, yes, I think it's okay.

Posted on Mar 11, 2013 3:55:06 PM PDT
Soulshine says:
I sure don't understand how this change would make the offended any less offended.

Unless they were never actually offended and instead simply did not like a word.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 11, 2013 3:55:28 PM PDT
Rev. Otter says:
<<there was very little subtle about the original name for the trophy>>

agreed. also, it doesn't seem to fit the theme or tone of the series.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 11, 2013 3:55:55 PM PDT
DVvM says:
The trophy was always a throwaway joke anyway (the Erinyes aren't "hos" anyway, so it never made sense to begin with.)

Posted on Mar 11, 2013 3:56:14 PM PDT
where i'm from we have a name for guys like sessler....

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 11, 2013 3:57:26 PM PDT
Soulshine says:
I disagree that this is funnier, but really it wasn't funny in the first place and still isn't.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 11, 2013 3:58:04 PM PDT
Don't get defensive. I'm nof knocking the fact it is in the game. Just that they felt the need to change the trophy title.

Posted on Mar 11, 2013 3:59:15 PM PDT
JWK says:
*ouch* I rolled my eyes so hard it strained my oculomotor nerve.

Posted on Mar 11, 2013 3:59:59 PM PDT
Rev. Otter says:
for the record, i think that anyone genuinely offended by the word "ho" is going to be offended by Every. Single. Thing. in God of War, anyway.

Posted on Mar 11, 2013 4:00:59 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 11, 2013 4:02:31 PM PDT
Benpachi says:
Meh. I agree that the new name is somewhat clever (in comparison to the original name, at least), but I don't like this at all. Everyone has the right to be offended by something, but a developer has the same right to call a trophy "bros before hos" in a M rated video game. Are we going to start seeing censorship patches in games now? Is that the future of gaming? (expletive deleted) that.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 11, 2013 4:01:15 PM PDT
I am offended that you didn't capitalize "I" when referring to yourself.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 11, 2013 4:04:28 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 11, 2013 4:05:21 PM PDT
DVvM says:
If a developer does something, and is informed that it wasn't a good decision for whatever reason, and the developer agrees and changes it via a patch, how is that a bad thing?

It's only being changed because Sony Santa Monica agrees that the people who found the trophy objectionable have a point. If they didn't think there was a valid counterargument, they had no obligation to change it.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 11, 2013 4:08:45 PM PDT
GarionOrb says:
Except they changed it because ONE person found it offensive. If Sessler hadn't said anything, no one would've given it a second thought. They would've brushed it off as just being a God of War game.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 11, 2013 4:10:25 PM PDT
Soulshine says:
It's not that big of a deal because it's a trophy name. I really would hate to see this extend to real game content, or one day we might be shooting each other with walkie talkies.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 11, 2013 4:13:09 PM PDT
DVvM says:
Well, I found it offensive. So there's two of us. If Sessler hadn't mentioned it, someone else would have. If none of the advance reviews mentioned it, there would have been a backlash when the game got out into the wild.

They're judging the validity of the complaints, not who (or how many) made them.

Posted on Mar 11, 2013 4:14:04 PM PDT
Zak Iarih says:
What if you don't download the patch?
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 14 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Active discussions in related forums  

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  60
Total posts:  336
Initial post:  Mar 11, 2013
Latest post:  Sep 1, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions