Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

Another Bad Month for the Wii-U

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 68 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 12, 2013 10:01:07 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 12, 2013 10:01:54 AM PDT
Keller says:
http://news.cnet.com/8301-10797_3-57573816-235/wii-u-in-february-80000-sold-analyst-says/

Estimates are around 80k sold in Feb, up from the 60k in Jan but still pretty meh. I think the U was looking strong at $300/$350 with Pikmin 3, Rayman and Wonderful in the launch window. But with the delays $300/$350 just is too much. Given the lineup, I think a price drop is needed.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 12, 2013 10:03:09 AM PDT
GarionOrb says:
It'll pick up.

Posted on Mar 12, 2013 10:04:12 AM PDT
MrFoxhound says:
Nintendo deserves no quarter here. They did the same thing with the 3DS that is now happening to the Wii U. They lived through it once and allowed it to happen again. There was really no fault in moving the system back 6-8 months to secure a better launch line-up and guarantee launch window games.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 12, 2013 10:06:28 AM PDT
GarionOrb says:
To be fair, the launch games available for the Wii U were really great. Unfortunately, 80% of them were available on the PS3 and 360. PS3/360 gamers are most likely the crowd that jumped on the Wii U at launch, while the more casual Wii fans saw no reason to upgrade. Nintendo put all their hopes in NSMBU and Nintendo Land.

Posted on Mar 12, 2013 10:07:46 AM PDT
L. Parnell says:
I agree that it will pick up. A lot of people are probably waiting for the game library to build up (like me). A price drop would probably help, too, but I think its main problem right now has more to do with the limited game selection than the price. This is a problem any time a new system launches.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 12, 2013 10:08:32 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 12, 2013 10:10:57 AM PDT
Keller says:
I am sure it will. I am disappointed with the launch window though. Having a game or two get pushed back isn't a big deal. But having every single high profile game get pushed with Wonderful, Pikmin and Rayman is just nonsense. It shouldn't have happened. At the very least one of those games should have stayed the course. Though in the end the U will be a fine system and will be worth owning. We just need a bit of patience.

I am still and probably will never be happy with how Ubi is handling the situation. I still plan on picking this game up bargain bin used. I have no desire to give Ubi any money from this situation.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 12, 2013 10:09:15 AM PDT
MrFoxhound says:
I understand that which is why I thought that the 3DS price drop was using a nuke to kill a house fly type deal. With the software that is now available for the 3DS, I doubt that it would have had a hard time selling at $200-$225. $250 was too much regardless for that hand held.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 12, 2013 10:10:49 AM PDT
GarionOrb says:
I almost think that the games' development should dictate the system's launch, not the other way around. Given the slow sales it's had thus far, did they really gain that much from holiday sales versus possible sales if they'd released it later?

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 12, 2013 10:11:58 AM PDT
GarionOrb says:
Ugh, that price drop. That was a severe overreaction. Granted, it was fantastic news for gamers all around, so in the end, we win. But still, they could've gotten away with dropping the price by $50.

Posted on Mar 12, 2013 10:12:46 AM PDT
Gameresq says:
I would love to see an Ambassador program for the Wii U. I love to get great games for free.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 12, 2013 10:13:17 AM PDT
MrFoxhound says:
The problem is that for the first year or so, first party games must support the system because of the disconnect between hardware makers and software engineers. Maybe if more developers worked hand in hand with hardware manufacturers instead of just ordering a dev kit, there could be more quality launches. This type of cooperation is probably not even feasible in this world of such strict proprietary information safeguarding.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 12, 2013 10:16:19 AM PDT
DVvM says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Mar 12, 2013 10:20:28 AM PDT
L. Parnell says:
It would be nice if in the future companies did not push their new systems out the door without a good list of launch games to go with them and push sales, but if I've learned anything from the releases of the WiiU and PS Vita and how they mirrored the past launches of systems by the same companies, these companies just seem determined to keep following the same pattern and insanely expect a different outcome.

Posted on Mar 12, 2013 10:23:34 AM PDT
Error says:
I doubt they will sell any systems, but at least there will be some new offerings on the horizon.

We have Monster Hunter and Lego City dropping next week. Survival instincts is a fairly cheap pickup at 37.49, and NFS: Most Wanted on the U will supposedly be the "definitive" version.

Come May we will have Revelations, which is launching $10 cheaper on Wii-U than PS360 at 39.99 (right now on Amazon).

I'm certain I will add one of these games just so I can play something other thanF-Zero and Baloon Fight.

Posted on Mar 12, 2013 10:27:37 AM PDT
So does anyone know what the total number of WiiUs sold has been?

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 12, 2013 10:29:15 AM PDT
GarionOrb says:
It's about the bottom line. Nintendo wanted to capitalize on the holiday shopping season, so they had to release the Wii U that November. Sony had set a goal to release the PSVita before the end of their fiscal year, which I think ends in March, so it came out in February.

Posted on Mar 12, 2013 10:29:41 AM PDT
80k US sales in a slow shopping month isn't too bad, actually. I'm not saying that the Wii U doesn't have a problem because it clearly does but I wouldn't ring the death knell over 80k in the US for February.

Posted on Mar 12, 2013 10:34:29 AM PDT
Well, if they had given people a reason to buy their game-playing machine, like some games, it would be doing better.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 12, 2013 10:42:59 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 12, 2013 10:44:35 AM PDT
Keller says:
Yeah, very much my thought. Especially with April right around the corner and the U eShop going live for real.

I do plan on getting Monster and Revelations. Lego and Need for Speed are possibles. Later this year I will be grabbing Wind Waker, Wonderful and Pikmin. The lineup for this year isn't horrible, the spacing between games is.

Posted on Mar 12, 2013 11:41:46 AM PDT
Benpachi says:
They really rushed the launch of this system. I'm sure it will get better, and there will be plenty of amazing games for it, but I really think they should have waited. I understand that they wanted to get a head start on the PS4/720, but this makes two Nintendo launches in a row with pretty much no games worth playing.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 12, 2013 11:53:35 AM PDT
This.

I know the fanthings will still scream d00m but 80k isn't terrible. Sales will pick up this holiday and next year; Zelda, 3D Mario, Mario Kart and Smash Bros. is all it needs to get out of it's rut.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 12, 2013 11:54:49 AM PDT
Not sure, it sounds like the software developers actually had a lot of input in how the PS4 was going to be built. I'm interested to see if that bucks the trend for line-up titles or we'll still see the usual sparse launch line-up.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 12, 2013 11:57:25 AM PDT
They should have waited, built up hype a bit and ADVERTISED. Thats my biggest gripe with the U launch so far. The games thing is sucky but kind of usual for launches. But I've barely seen any advertising for this thing. I mean a commercial rarely, but its almost like Nintendo is ignoring their own console.

Posted on Mar 12, 2013 12:01:27 PM PDT
Keller says:
I still think Nintendo did a horrible job of separating the Wii U from the Wii. The nomenclature is frankly horrible. It so should have been called the Wii2 or Super Wii.

Posted on Mar 12, 2013 12:01:47 PM PDT
D_Strasse says:
I think the problem with front loading launch titles is that developers can really only work on so many titles at once and if they all blow their load on launch, then there will be a big empty gap in the months proceeding.

I think the PS4 launch looks great - it's the months _after_ launch that could be sketchy IMHO.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  30
Total posts:  68
Initial post:  Mar 12, 2013
Latest post:  Mar 13, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions