Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

OTish: Looking for a set of good speakers for my PC

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 46 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 1, 2013 6:47:40 AM PST
Now that I have my own room for a PC and we don't live in a condo anymore, I'm looking for some speakers that can really make a game sound good. Doesn't necessarily have to be a multi-speaker surround setup.

Posted on Mar 1, 2013 6:57:00 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 1, 2013 7:01:03 AM PST
got mayo?™ says:
If you have a Best Buy near, audition the Klipsch Pro Media 2.1 set.

I've been very happy with this set , had it it for 1.5 yrs now. It really cranks too , powerful amp. ...and its horn loaded drivers for some music listening.

For something economical, i got these for my dad and actually put out really nice sound if you dont need something that cranks too loud:
Logitech Z313 Speaker System

Also, Have you considered a stereo or surround headset?

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 1, 2013 6:59:22 AM PST
budget?

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 1, 2013 6:59:48 AM PST
$250 or so.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 1, 2013 7:00:51 AM PST
Go with what Mayo said. You don't need all this 5.1/7.1 surround sound BS for PC speakers. Those Klispch are ~150 for the 2.1 set and they blow away pretty much everything in it's class. My father has him and he listen to his iPod on - freaking bass is unreal.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 1, 2013 7:01:45 AM PST
klopas says:
Logitech Speaker System Z623

I've had this speaker system since November and it brings the boom for gaming. It's a bit on the pricey side at the moment as when I ordered it was on sale for $90.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 1, 2013 7:03:15 AM PST
These are great too, tested these out in store.

Nate - if you want great sound at ~100 get the Z623's. If you want to spend a little more for a richer bass, get the Klipsch.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 1, 2013 7:06:22 AM PST
got mayo?™ says:
Those are really good too.

If you have an ample budget: The Logitec Z623 and Kilpch ProMedia 2.1 (both THX cert.) are the nicest,powerful sounding i heard at those price points.

Both are at Best Buy, both have good bass, i'd def go to audition them and see which you prefer on the midrange/high frequency range.

Bring an iPod and plug it right in.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 1, 2013 7:06:25 AM PST
Rockhardly says:
Best speaker set I've ever had is a surround system by Logitech:

Logitech Z-5500 THX-Certified 5.1 Digital Surround Sound Speaker System

Apparently, it's not made anymore - but these things are awesome.

Best part? I got them free because Logitech is so awesome.

I had bought the previous model for $200(on sale from $350 - thank you, NewEgg) (I think they were called something 680 something), and after about 2.5 years, one of the satellites went out. I called customer service to see if I could get it repaired - and they told me that they didn't make that set anymore, that it had been replaced by the 5500's above.

They then pointed out that there was a 3-year warranty on my set, so they were going to go ahead and send me the 5500 set at no charge.

I squealed in delight - as the 5500's blew away the 680's. That was about 7 years ago or so (I think) - and they have been through some abuse (mainly the Battlefield series), and continue to kick much a.

So - since they pretty much gave me this set, I've been a Logitech fan since. They have good stuff, and they stand behind it.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 1, 2013 7:08:59 AM PST
350 bucksssss, 150 for the Klipsch just seem like a way better bang for the buck lol.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 1, 2013 7:10:16 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 1, 2013 7:11:21 AM PST
Well if you want to get the absolute best within that budget I'd say go with these.

Audioengine P4 2-Way Passive Bookshelf Speakers (Black)

The current model of these are the A5+ but those costs $400. For $150 less you get something pretty on par and that's pretty kick [butt].

Otherwise I'd say spend less and get the z623 or Klipsch already suggested.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 1, 2013 7:11:57 AM PST
got mayo?™ says:
Those are a lot of speakers though.

I cant do multi channel in a desktop environment though. Tiny speakers and lots of wires.

I have my receiver with my 7.1 in the same room. If i want directional audio i swap hdmi and play the PC on the big screen...or just use a headset to keep it simple.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 1, 2013 7:13:03 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 1, 2013 7:13:15 AM PST
got mayo?™ says:
Passive, you need to power them...no sub frequencies either. Good bookshelves otherwise.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 1, 2013 7:14:12 AM PST
Because of the setup I don't like surround for a PC. Surround speakers I think should be kept with the home theater setup and then spend the money on a receiver and some larger speakers that look nice in the room.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 1, 2013 7:17:35 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 1, 2013 7:23:02 AM PST
I will say that yes a drawback is you'd have to power them. However I wouldn't be concerned about a sub woofer as the low end with these speakers still sound better than most cheaper 2.1 PC speaker setups I've heard.

EDIT: and these will allow you to add a sub if you want, but that might break Fake Nate's budget.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 1, 2013 7:26:09 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 1, 2013 7:28:36 AM PST
got mayo?™ says:
I'm sure. See that would satisfy me with music.... But when that low frequency extension kicks in an explosion in- game, I'd be left disappointed with a 50Hz rolloff and the overall impact expected at those ranges.

When i first built my PC my budget was shot and thats what i ran off my B channels of my mancave receiver...some PSB Alpha B1 bookshelves. They always sounded 'off' gaming after being used to a sub the room console gaming.

If he has the space to tie in a receiver and a HT sub, yeah, he can get crazy and have a remote to boot. Thats a fun project if 'simple' is not a prerequisite. I love hooking up gear.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 1, 2013 7:27:10 AM PST
new Tron says:
I bought these last year and am really happy with them.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 1, 2013 7:29:38 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 1, 2013 7:30:46 AM PST
I will say that I usually pick speakers that are great for music above all else. Also I realized I really should have recommended powered speakers so if I was gonna recommend something in that line of speakers (they really do sound awesome) I'd go with the A2, not the P4.

EDIT: and yeah, once you decide that it's worth it to get a seperate receiver then it feels like the whole world of sound opens up.

Posted on Mar 1, 2013 7:50:16 AM PST
pokritz says:
I am also interested in getting a new set of speakers that are relatively cheap. I don't need anything too loud. I checked the first link, but that one doesn't have a bass control feature (unless I missed something).

Has anyone owned this set before?
Cyber Acoustics Subwoofer Satellite System (CA-3602a)

pretty cheap and has bass control

Posted on Mar 1, 2013 7:52:51 AM PST
Thanks for the suggestions guys, I'll be looking more into these after work when I hit up Best Buy!

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 1, 2013 7:54:00 AM PST
Never used them but judging by the reviews it looks like they are great for a 2.1 system that only cost $40. Seems like a good bet unless you are willing to actually spend $100+

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 1, 2013 7:56:06 AM PST
pokritz says:
Nah, buying something really expensive isn't really worth it for me. My household has 3 completely different schedules, so I can't ever blast my speakers. I just need to hear the game I am playing...and my monitor speakers are starting to hurt my ears.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 1, 2013 7:57:13 AM PST
In that case get the $40 speakers and spend the real money on a great pair of headphones.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 1, 2013 8:03:55 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 1, 2013 8:04:36 AM PST
got mayo?™ says:
They actually have those at Staples, last i was there. In case you want to look and listen to them.

Also note , well really a concern with any grill-less speaker, was that the dustcaps were all punctured in on the floor models (in case there are wandering hands in your house). Its a pretty cheaply built set at close inspection. I can say it looks much better in pictures. Really nice remote on it though.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 1, 2013 8:05:58 AM PST
Well for $40 I think you'd expect a cheap looking set. However a cheap set with a protective might still be better if you are worried about others damaging the speaker.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  10
Total posts:  46
Initial post:  Mar 1, 2013
Latest post:  Mar 2, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions