Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

Tomb Raider: First Impressions thread(No spoilers please)

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-11 of 11 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 4, 2013 11:24:06 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 4, 2013 11:47:44 PM PST
Going on PC here with quad 3.0, wired 360 controller, 4GB RAM, and 550TI on Win7 64(easily enough to bounce the recommendeds), so keep this in mind.

Story so far is great from what I've seen so far. Controls are fluid and responsive for what you are asking for. I would have liked to have been able to turn off the QTE's(whoever thought that making someone quickly toggle the left analog back and forth was a good idea needs to have their head examined by my knee), but once you get out of the starting area, they become much less of an issue.

It has been super easy to grind up some skill points as hunting not only gives you xp, but you get many, if not all, of your arrows back.

I've only experienced 2 negatives to this point, but one of them is a doozy. I keep getting CTD's every 10-15 minutes or so. After playing around with some settings, I went to the forums and discovered that I'm not the only one experiencing these. I expect a patch to release shortly, and the autosave option does a decent job of preventing me from having to play too much over again. That leads me to the second negative; the lack of a manual save. While the autosave does seem to do an ok job to this point, I hate to rely on that.

Even with the CTD's, I'm loving it. That really should say something. The story picks up quickly, and doesn't really slow down.

I'm giving it a 7.4 at this point because of the issues with PC. I firmly expect for a patch to be coming to alleviate those issues and it will be a very shiny experience after that.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 4, 2013 11:40:28 PM PST
Sisyphus says:
I came here to complain about QTEs, but I see you've already got that covered. Pretty thrilling so far, and I love the atmosphere. I hope it keeps it up the excitement.

I should probably switch over to controller. TR doesn't feel right with M/KB.

Posted on Mar 5, 2013 1:30:45 AM PST
Is it similar to Unchartered? How much platforming is there?

Posted on Mar 5, 2013 1:56:12 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 5, 2013 1:59:31 AM PST
Playing it here on the 360.
Very impressed so far.
Its been very cinematic. Reminded me very much of Far Cry 3, with the acting quality and story telling.
Very intense. Graphics are great too.
I'm not very far in yet, but very impressed so far.
My score so far 8.5 if not a 9.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 5, 2013 4:24:48 AM PST
There are a ton of issues with NVidia and CTDs it seems. I didn't see nearly as many issues on the AMD side, but did you make sure you updated to the drivers that released recently?

Posted on Mar 5, 2013 4:34:15 AM PST
got mayo?™ says:
New beta driver was released yesterday with updated profile for this game. That said, noted some people experience CTD's anyhow, while some report no issues.

Try running the game in windowed mode, that seems to help with some AMD developed games for me. Sleeping Dogs was a bit iffy for me at launch with some tearing and that solved everything. The drivers that shortly followed cleaned it all up in full screen.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 5, 2013 5:15:22 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 5, 2013 5:15:38 AM PST
uncledonnie3 says:
NVidia or AMD beta drivers were released?

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 5, 2013 5:16:43 AM PST
NVidia I believe

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 5, 2013 5:16:45 AM PST
klopas says:
Nvidia

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 5, 2013 5:17:07 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 5, 2013 5:17:21 AM PST
2 seconds.

*BOOM Headshot!*

I need less coffee....

Posted on Mar 5, 2013 5:17:13 AM PST
uncledonnie3 says:
OK good, I really don't want to update my AMD drivers again for this game.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  8
Total posts:  11
Initial post:  Mar 4, 2013
Latest post:  Mar 5, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions