Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Adele Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors
Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

OT: Obama's speech last night in CT...thoughts? Opinions?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 351-375 of 512 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 9:57:10 AM PST
Heh, would you want to occupy this country as either a tyrant or an invading force? Those big weapons don't do much in a protracted engagement/occupation, as we're finding out in Afganistan... well, unless you want to wipe out a population, which is a whole different scenario.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 9:58:38 AM PST
So I guess you think Justice Scalia is arrogant and mentally ill?

Posted on Dec 17, 2012 9:59:07 AM PST
and keep laughing guys. maybe also go back and read what I wrote. it is extreme, as you guys really hit a hot button with me. but I didn't call you Hitler or Sttalin. what I said is thinking like yours, is what lead up to those despots to power.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 9:59:11 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 17, 2012 10:00:18 AM PST
Lucanus says:
Does Syria and Libya elect their leaders like we do? I would imagine we don't have to worry about the government taking over given we elect our officials and have a party system. I highly doubt Obama is just doing to refuse to step down and the General's in command of tanks/planes/drones are going to shrug and walk way. Is it me or are most gun owners paranoid as heck? I mean really now. Who here really thinks the government is going to take over our lives? I sure don't.

Posted on Dec 17, 2012 10:00:44 AM PST
Most people don't think it's going to happen tomorrow, or anytime soon. but it's the erosion of personal freedoms that COULD pave the way. that is what people are "paranoid" about.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 10:00:50 AM PST
Pssst ... You sound crazy ....

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 10:01:53 AM PST
FOGE says:
I never said I thought that would happen here. Calm down. I'm just saying that in those situations, that's what happened. And "we" elect our leaders. But nearly 50% of the population did not elect our leader so that's something to ponder. I don't think Obama means to enslave us. But gun control is the first step in paving the road for such an event by someone later on.

Posted on Dec 17, 2012 10:02:17 AM PST
Have you travelled at all JB? Outside the US I mean.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 10:04:40 AM PST
yes. I also served in the Marines. I also have a college education. I also am not from the south.

Posted on Dec 17, 2012 10:05:24 AM PST
jtshiel says:
What's wrong with being from the south?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 10:05:39 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 17, 2012 10:07:48 AM PST
Lucanus says:
In order for somebody to take over, our entire election system would have to be taken over. I just don't see that happening, ever. As for the 50% of the population who didn't elect Obama, that was by choice, they were allowed to vote and chose not too. Just out of curiousity since you don't want to limit freedoms, I assume you are pro pot, pro abortion and pro gay marriage? :)

The paranoid comment comes from people igorning statistics. Memphis is one of the most violent cities in the country. Over the last decade the average is 900 crimes per 100,000... that is right, less than a 1% chance of being a victim in one of the most violent cities in all of America. So I just don't get this "I need a gun with 200+ rounds to protect my home" attitude. By the by, this isn't directly aimed at you, just a general comment.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 10:05:58 AM PST
I didn't imply that you were Southern. It was just a question.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 10:06:30 AM PST
I think he was trying to cut off the possible calls of hick, redneck, etc..

Posted on Dec 17, 2012 10:06:32 AM PST
waterbowl says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 10:09:16 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 17, 2012 10:09:24 AM PST
That Emu Kid says:
Whoa whoa whoa. What do you mean, "you people?"

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 10:11:29 AM PST
Nearly 50% of the people who did vote, did not vote for Obama.

to answer your other questions. Yes I am pro pot, and pro gay marriage, and pro choice. (not for abortions) I live in Seattle, and just this past november we overwhelmingly voted to legalize marijuana and gay marriage.

yes I was just anticipating the calls of being an uneducated redneck, who watches foxnews and whatever other insults get thrown around when somebody else disagrees with your stance.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 10:12:33 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 17, 2012 10:15:11 AM PST
Lucanus says:
Yeah so? The same was true with Bush vs Gore, actually that isn't quite true Gore won the popular vote. I am sorry to say I don't get your point. Obama was elected fair and square. Even those who didn't vote for him should be adult enough to stand behind the leader in which our system elected. If anything is uncontituational it is not backing the guy who was elected fairly. :)

As for the pro issues, good for you. While I don't agree with your gun stance, I can at least respect your opinion. I have issues with people who argue guns based on freeoms but hate gay marriage. The lack of consistancy stinks.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 10:14:56 AM PST
FOGE says:
I'm not talking about those who didn't vote. I'm talking about those who voted against Obama. I am completely indifferent on pot and gay marriage. I'm pro abortion as I believe it's a woman's choice, and it makes the world safer.

Salutes General Comment. I see where you are coming from but some neighborhoods are scarier than others. That 1% is over a big are. Some places I'm sure you don't need a gun. But others where the odds are higher, I'm sure it gives people piece of mind. That's why I like to own guns. Also, I find it enjoyable to go to the range.

Posted on Dec 17, 2012 10:15:15 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 17, 2012 10:16:00 AM PST
my point was you said it was there fault for not voting. i was just pointing out they did vote.

Edited to add: I agree they should stand behind the office of the president. doesn't mean we should blindly follow though.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 10:17:24 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 17, 2012 10:20:02 AM PST
Lucanus says:
"That 1% is over a big are. Some places I'm sure you don't need a gun. But others where the odds are higher, I'm sure it gives people piece of mind. That's why I like to own guns. Also, I find it enjoyable to go to the range. "

This is true and makes me feel ever safer. I don't live and don't walk around those bad areas. Making my chances less than 1%. I grow up in a house of guns, my uncle is an avoid gun collector. For the record I think handguns, shotguns and hunting rifles shouldn't be even remotely considered for a ban. As for assault weapons, I am open to the idea, I haven't made up my mind as of yet. I simply think moving forward we should evaluate all options, including reinstating an assault rifle ban. I also think we should have crazy harsh punishments for criminals who break the law via using a gun. I am also not against regulated magazine capacity. :)

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 10:18:03 AM PST
Kr155 says:
you think a Right that has been engrained into our culture since it's inception is only popular because of marketing?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 10:19:25 AM PST
FOGE says:
Good to hear. I can understand that and it sounds reasonable. The assault rifles are tricky. Not sure how I feel but I'm leaning towards allowing them to be sold.

Posted on Dec 17, 2012 10:21:15 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 17, 2012 10:23:57 AM PST
the only diffrerence between an assault rifle and a hunting rifle is cosmetic. maybe they should ban assault rifles again. all it did last time was serve to energize a voting base that votes on this issue and created a mass exodus of democrats in the senate back in 1994.

you can't really measure a negative, but there is no evidence it prevented even one crime.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 10:21:18 AM PST
Lucanus says:
I could be swayed in either direction. I still think mental health system needs to be improved. I don't believe this kid was normal and just snapped. There had to be signs, Lord knows with the Columbine kids there were signs, upon signs upon signs. I think there has to be a way to prevent most of this before guns are even acquired. :)

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 10:22:12 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 17, 2012 10:23:02 AM PST
Lucanus says:
I was under the impression hunting rifle magazines carry far less ammo and can't be modified into automatics. Is that not true? I am far from an expert on the subject. :)
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Video Games forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  46
Total posts:  512
Initial post:  Dec 17, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 17, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions