Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

Puerto Ricans opt for statehood in referendum

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 26-50 of 118 posts in this discussion
Posted on Nov 7, 2012 4:04:01 PM PST
i duno 51 was my football number, might sound good. Who the hell would want to join America now? lol

Posted on Nov 7, 2012 4:04:18 PM PST
I don't mind us being a state.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 4:11:44 PM PST
You know it will. Discussing it in work I already started to hear it.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 4:12:46 PM PST
Boo. I was hoping we could work out a circular pattern again.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 4:13:44 PM PST
But 51 is 3*17. It's the product of two prime numbers!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 4:16:07 PM PST
I don't think the people who are going to be making the argument will be aware of that.

Posted on Nov 7, 2012 5:14:04 PM PST
AJF says:
I thought that being a territory rather than a state gave them special taxes or something.

I also like 50. It is a nice number.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 5:16:49 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 7, 2012 5:22:51 PM PST
prsmooth says:
As you said, we are Citizens by birth given its a US territory. However, Puerto Ricans need to live (primary residency) within the US to be able to vote for presidential elections.

I like it how it is now. It enjoys the benefits of being a US territory, but it also is recognized as a seperate country.

My concern is that by becoming a state, we lose our identity over time. That is culture, traditions, way of living. Things that identify an ethnic group.

Posted on Nov 7, 2012 5:28:25 PM PST
Carlito says:
My wife, who's Puerto Rican, was actually shocked they favored this. They don't pay any taxes into the federal government (and do have a VERY limited voice in US politics for it) and they didn't want to for a long time but local officials have screwed up the tax burden so bad that becoming a state has finally become appealing to at least a small majority of the population. We still have family living there, go to visit so my kid can see the other half of his family, beautiful country, I'd welcome them into the Union. I know every time this comes up that the sitting presidents have almost always welcomed PR into statehood if they so choose.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 5:39:08 PM PST
prsmooth says:
I don't know if maybe the economic hardship over recent years have finally pushed residents to reconsider statehood. I do know firsthand from relatives and people I know from over there that have left Puerto Rico due to lack of industrial jobs.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 5:46:10 PM PST
Kirksnowsion says:
Had you seen this 51-star flag alternative? The pattern also forms a star impression in the center of the circle. Pretty nifty.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/8f/US_51-star_alternate_flag.svg

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 5:52:33 PM PST
Nope, and I still won't see it. Doesn't load. :(

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 6:01:54 PM PST
Kirksnowsion says:
Hm, that's strange. Try this.

http://flagartist.com/RSS/openclipart.org/2012/February/FLAGARTIST.COM/U/us_51_star_alternate_flag-555px.png

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 6:03:00 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 7, 2012 6:05:26 PM PST
Harmicky says:
I don't mean to be offensive, but Puerto Rico is in no way a country, separate or otherwise.

I don't think PR would lose it's cultural identity at all. Look at Hawaii, for example. They have been a state for more than sixty years, and they still maintain a VERY unique identity, separate from anything else in the states. The same can be said for Alaska, though to a lesser degree.

One of the major concerns of granting statehood to PR is that the official government language would need to switch to english, and this would take a pretty good amount of time and money to implement. Look to the statehood of New Mexico, for example. [Edit: I support multilingualism. I make the preceding comment based on the premise that the US will remain a unilingual country.]

I for one think it is time for something to change with the US/PR relationship. Their colonial relationship needs to modernize. PR either needs to become entirely independent, or the US and PR need to reap the mutual benefits of PR statehood (i.e. full representation in congress, the right to vote on all national issues, and federal taxation. I strongly support PR statehood.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 6:06:57 PM PST
Harmicky says:
That's actually pretty cool looking. I favor that over the other 51 star version.

Posted on Nov 7, 2012 6:13:30 PM PST
Frank says:
So they want statehood because they mismanaged their economy? Well they're in for a surprise.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 6:14:45 PM PST
51 is the 14th discrete biprime, and its aliquot sum is also a discrete biprime!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 6:23:39 PM PST
Hey says:
We're both expressible as the sum of two cubes!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 6:43:14 PM PST
If the majority of Puerto Ricans want statehood, that's fine by me, but I have to say native Hawaiian culture has been nearly decimated by the way U.S. businessmen stole control of the islands. It's taken extreme effort just to maintain what's left, and that's not much.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 6:49:02 PM PST
Harmicky says:
I respectfully disagree that there's not much native Hawaiian culture left. And regardless, I don't think statehood would have any affect on businesspeople changing the culture.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 6:50:08 PM PST
Considering the level of unemployment in Puerto Rico, I think a lot of Puerto Ricans would appreciate some American Business people changing their culture.

I mean, it's better than poverty and starvation.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 6:51:24 PM PST
I live there at least two months of the year, and my stepkids all live there full-time, and I have to disagree.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 6:54:46 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 7, 2012 6:56:12 PM PST
Harmicky says:
That's 100% true, but I also understand people's concern of the effects on PR culture, even if I believe they are negligible.

Anyway, unless someone is trying to protect the original Taíno culture, they're kind of being hypocritical. Cultures evolve; the Puerto Rican culture is a perfect example of this. It is completely the product of European conquer, rule and influence.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 6:54:46 PM PST
I'm not sure everyone finds imperialism so attractive. ;-)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 6:55:41 PM PST
Harmicky says:
Ok.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  33
Total posts:  118
Initial post:  Nov 7, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 8, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions