Last edited by the author on Jan 15, 2013 12:53:56 PM PST
Skyrim - 10
Dead Rising - 8
Alan Wake - 8
Bioshock - 9.5
Lego LOTR - 8.5

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 15, 2013 12:53:44 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 15, 2013 12:54:06 PM PST
Yeah, it starts with him and Jiraiya coming back to Konoha after their training.

And just a heads up, don't watch the opening cinematic that plays when you first start the game, it's a pretty gigantic spoiler. It shows you the end of the game at the beginning, so look away until you hear happy music.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 15, 2013 12:54:44 PM PST
Kirksnowsion says:
That's pretty dumb. I guess they're mostly anticipating people who are already fans to play, but that's quite the oversight.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 15, 2013 12:55:18 PM PST
StriderNeo15 says:
lol, That's not very smart of the developers.

Thanks for the heads up.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 15, 2013 12:56:34 PM PST
100% agree. I hadn't even watched the original series when I played the game, luckily Kirios tipped me off about that before I started it too.

Posted on Jan 15, 2013 12:57:00 PM PST
i couldnt tell you the last 5 i played through, but here are the last 5 that i can remember:

Halo 4: 9, great story, fun coop, excellent MP
Borderlands 2: 9.5, improved on the first in many ways
Playstation allstars: 7.5, fun, definitely not SSB
Fallout 3: 9.5, not my first playthrough, but still awesome
Blops 2 (MP only): 7.5, it may just be the COD franchise not holding its value for me anymore, but it got pretty old after prestiging. i still play every once in awhile, but its not what it was for me a few years ago.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 15, 2013 12:57:39 PM PST
No prob, just glad I remembered that before you started it.

Posted on Jan 15, 2013 12:59:28 PM PST
K Archer says:
Borderlands 2 - 9.9 - I can't give a 10 because I don't think there is such a thing as a perfect game. But I really haven't stopped playing the game since its release almost 4 months ago, so I do have to say its incredible.

Journey - 9.3 - Its just an amazing game, visually and emotionally; I know its not everyone's thing, but I love it. Every playthrough is different, and the last one I did was so different than all the others I've done, it was just an amazing run.

Okami HD - 9.0 - I don't know what to say about this. Just a beautiful game with a great story. Had a hard time putting it down. So glad I finally had a chance to play it

Sound Shapes - 8.5 - Really fun little game on its own, but add all the custom levels and it just never ends.

Darksiders 2 - 8.4 - I liked this game a lot. It was fun, had a relatively interesting story (wish it was a continuation of 1, but hey, it wasn't bad), good environments and level design, and pretty good RPG elements. I'd have to play 1 again to really compare the two, but I do recommend both highly.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 15, 2013 1:02:04 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 15, 2013 1:03:02 PM PST
Kirksnowsion says:
I was watching the series when it was still airing in Japan ('05 maybe), and we had to sit through almost two years of filler waiting for Shippuden. Sucked.

Posted on Jan 15, 2013 1:03:29 PM PST
YIGT says:
Assassins creed III 8.5
Call of duty BLOPS2 6 single player 8 online only
skyrim 9.5
Red dead 8
Legend of grimrock/grimnock or something like that. 7 It was way to easy but I loved the old school playstyle. Plus it was like 3 bucks on steam

Posted on Jan 15, 2013 1:05:20 PM PST
I had to edit my post since I realized one of the games I had played didn't make the list and it is one of the best games ever

Frog Fractions.

Posted on Jan 15, 2013 1:09:05 PM PST
Fidel Amaya says:
MGS HD Collection [Epic]

Assassins Creed: Brotherhood [Awesome]

Resistance 3 [Epic]

inFamous [Awesome]

Killzone 3 [Epic]

Posted on Jan 15, 2013 1:13:25 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 15, 2013 1:15:21 PM PST
D_Strasse says:
Recent Games I've played:

Dishonored - 7. Well put together game with excellent production values (9) but I just disliked gameplay (6). Not teh game's fault but I found going stealthy REALLY tedious.

ACIII:Lib - 8. Maybe not worth of an 8 on story and quality but I just ended up enjoying it. Put a crapload of time into it.

Gravity Rush - 8.5. A heck of a lot of fun (9) with a very quirky and Japanese story but the game does have it share of issues that bring it down (repetitive combat, challenges can be tedious).

Uncharted: Golden Abyss - 9. Not as great as the console games wrt to gameplay but the writing and witty banter IS just as good and the Vita gimmicks add a twist that brings it back up to what I feel about the console games. PLus it's just gorgeous.

Sly 3 - 7. After 3 Sly games I was getting a bit tired of them admittedly. Personally, I preferred the more platformer-centric Sly 1 but comparing Sly 2 to Sly 3, I just found the 3 had the more challenging/aggravating set pieces.

Posted on Jan 15, 2013 1:18:59 PM PST
Home Fried says:
Haven't had a lot of time with my 360, so most of these games are from my PS2 days.

Kingdom Hearts: 9 - Great Story, but really long.
GTA Vice City: 9.5 - The most challenging of the GTA series
GTA San Andreas: 9 - Really utilizes it's open world, but it was a little too easy
GTA 4: 7 - Pretty boring compared to San Andreas, but it's worth replaying.
Catherine: 9.5 - Challenging puzzle game, with an amazing story that really digs into how you are in relationships.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 15, 2013 1:21:04 PM PST
That Emu Kid says:
http://penny-arcade.com/report/editorial-article/before-the-internet-there-were-secrets-the-design-of-frog-fractions

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 15, 2013 1:22:05 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 15, 2013 1:22:41 PM PST
Ugh, I'm sure that was awful. I had to deal with that with DBZ when I was a youngster, waiting a week just to watch someone yell and power up for 20 minutes. Had to deal with this with Bleach a bunch too, it was especially bad since I read the manga too and I knew how much cooler it was going to get.

Posted on Jan 15, 2013 1:33:26 PM PST
ME1: 9.0 This is one of the best games of current gen, and it showed up towards the beginning. No worry about ammo, and it had loot. Wish the UI was better and PC had native 360 controller support. Of course, thinking about it, I don't think that any of the trilogy actually has controller support that's any decent.

Kirby: Epic Yarn 7.5 Fun game, easy barrier of entry for kids, and has on-screen co-op. Despite these pluses, I just can't think that it could have lived up to so much more. Kirby doesn't do what he's known for, so it's relying on the character without his abilities.

DQ9 : 9.5 This is the JRGP that others should strive to become. It's grindy, but that's the def of that sub-genre. Great story, interesting cast.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 15, 2013 1:37:34 PM PST
D_Strasse says:
Without going into one of my ME1 rants, I gotta ask about Kirby:EY. Didn't you think the ease of the levels compared to the relatively difficulty of teh boss fights was jarring?

I didn't mind the ease personally, and was thinking "hey, my gaming illiterate kids can play this by themselves", that was at least until that first boss fight.

Posted on Jan 15, 2013 1:49:04 PM PST
FFXIII-2 - 9/10 - Great game. Better than the first. Characters were meh and really to me the only weakness to the game even though it's a very minor one.
Nier - 8/10 - Good Game. Great story, wonderful music, interesting characters. Gameplay kind of got boring towards the end but still good.
Fallout NV - 6/10. Ok Game. Just a rehash of fallout 3 with a less interesting story, a servicable game world, and same gameplay
Mass Effect 2 - 7.5/10 - Good Game. Good but short story, great cast of characters, and pretty darn good gameplay.
Batman Arkham City - 9.5/10 - Awesome game. Better than the first. Gameplay was great again, story was phenomenal, and the characters were AWESOME! I mean it's batman for pete's sake.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 15, 2013 2:00:45 PM PST
My 9 year old nephew didn't seem to have any real difficulty with the first boss.

Posted on Jan 15, 2013 2:05:47 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 15, 2013 7:17:50 PM PST
The Binding of Isaac - 8/10
Clever and provocative, also somewhat addictive, but what holds this back is the overall lack of content (understandable considering a 2 man dev team) and the fact that it falls into one of the common Roguelikelike traps of relying heavily on RNG to determine progress/difficulty.

The Witcher 2 8/10
I find it somewhat ironic that people spend so much time lauding CD Projekt Red as a developer paragon when critiquing Bioware, when one of the things that really stood out for me about this game was how frequently (and unintentionally) it made me deeply uncomfortable. Say one thing about Bioware, it's that they deal with issues with unusual pathos and sensitivity whereas The Witcher 2 was a game that really needed at least a half-dozen more women on the development team. A good, well-made game, but it was wall-to-wall with unnecessary discomforting.

XCOM: Enemy Unknown 9.48/10
Superlative. I've never played the original XCOM, but now I want to. This is a much better example of how to adapt a classic gaming property to the modern times than most examples (looking at you, Syndicate), and struck a blow for the "turn based strategy" genre in general.

Deus Ex: Human Revoluion 8.71/10
Suffers in comparison to the original (which was one of the greatest games ever made, to be fair) but a great time to be had nonetheless. The boss fights are as incongruous as advertised, but this was a game that was fun and tense to play. My main quibbles is that it felt a little too on-rails at time (it would be better if they would double the number of side quests, for example) and was somewhat intolerant of failure or experimentation, but truly a great debut game for Eidos Montreal.

Fallout: New Vegas 9.73/10
Easily one of the best games of the franchise (just a smidge below Fallout 2, IMO), and a superior game to Fallout 3 in virtually every way: game mechanics, writing, respect for the lore, characters, verisimilitude, world-building, etc. If you play it now, the bugs are essentially gone (except for periodic freezing on loading new areas, so save often) so it's a shame that this game was initially poorly received because it was buggy. I have to say that "Old World Blues" is in contention for my single favorite piece of DLC ever. Most of my complaints about it are along the lines of "I wish there were more of it" (or at least "I wish they had adapted more things from J.E. Sawyer's Fallout RPG/Van Buren" because, for example, Caesar's Legion works better with the Daughters of Hecate as a foil.)

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 15, 2013 2:08:15 PM PST
JWK says:
Hmmm... Let's see if I can remember.

Plants vs. Zombies (iOS) - 9.5 - You can break down technical and logical aspects about what makes a game "good" but my ultimate test is, "After I finish the game, do I want to play it again?" I've now played through the campaign three times, so that's a yes.

Dead Space 2 (PS3) - 9 - I created two threads about my different takes on it, but ultimately Dead Space is a FUN game. It's not scary, it's not unique, it's not a classic. But it's very very fun.

Rayman Jungle Run (iOS) - 8.5 - A short little game with intuitive controls (probably the best platformer controls on the ipad/iphone), near-perfect level design, incredible visuals, challenging gameplay, and great bite-sized objectives. Rayman Origins is one of the greatest platformers of all time. This is his little brother.

Shock Troopers (Wii) - 9 - Part of the fantastic "SNK Arcade Classics Vol 1", the Wii version has none of the slowdown of the PS2 port. One of my favorite run and gun games ever, it's obvious that SNK used a lot of the concepts started here as inspiration for the first Metal Slug. I actually prefer ST to every Metal Slug game I've played except X and 3.

Darksiders (PS3) - 7 - Great game with a fun battle system. The water levels actually made me nauseated, which isn't common for me (only other game I've had trouble with was Wolfenstein 3D). The exploration was mostly common sense and didn't interrupt the action too much. It successfully melds Zelda and God of War, but as so many have stated, it's not nearly as good as either of those franchises. Darksiders 2 is a better game from what I've played of it so far.

Burnout Revenge (360) - 9.5 - This would be a 10 if it wasn't for those annoyingly frequent Crashbreaker levels. Other than that, this is probably my favorite racing game of all time. Even piss-poor visuals can't hold it back from greatness. (It's just a PS2 game up-res'd to HD... poorly).

I'm currently playing Dishonored (probably a 9/10 so far).

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 15, 2013 2:11:03 PM PST
You're breaking it into hundredths? Even for a math lover, that seems a little extreme.

As to my earlier post about Kirby, the difficulty is only really there if you're going completionist. If you don't care what medal you get or unlocking all of the doors, you can't die unless you are seriously not even trying. It only gets difficult if you're trying to get all golds to unlock other levels. One thing that this game has taught me, however. Lava is bad and it rises. Believe me.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 15, 2013 2:13:57 PM PST
I reserve every real number in [0,10) for my review scores, on a ten point scale.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Active discussions in related forums  

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  47
Total posts:  116
Initial post:  Jan 15, 2013
Latest post:  Jan 16, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions