Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

Halo 4 Sells Over 3 Million Units Opening Day

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 26-50 of 54 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2012 5:26:49 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 8, 2012 5:29:49 AM PST
Darksiders II was awesome all around....

How do you know that it didn't recoup development costs? It sold 1.4 million copies the month it released and has continued to slowly sell more. Just because a developer says that sales were "below expectations", that doesn't mean it didn't recoup development costs.

Regardless - I disagree. I believe that developers should continue to take chances and strive for greatness. Though maybe not on the dime of the taxpayers of RI....

Posted on Nov 8, 2012 5:31:39 AM PST
i want an xbox for my birthday

Posted on Nov 8, 2012 5:32:24 AM PST
I know it sold well, but I would think it would have a lot more. Especially when its compared to Halo 3, a game that came out 5 years ago.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2012 5:40:08 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 8, 2012 5:42:20 AM PST
got mayo?™ says:
Its going to break the record for an exclusive, considering it owns those records already, how much better could it sell?

It outsold BF3's 13 month numbers on the platform in one day/week. EA spent $100million marketing Battlefield 3 trying to match Activision.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2012 5:45:43 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 8, 2012 5:46:06 AM PST
Lol, why do you compare BF3 numbers? There's no way BF3 could have outsold any COD title. You still need to spend the money to advertise. BF3 still sold 5 million week 1 and 10 million shipped. Not too bad for a direct competitor of COD.
http://www.gamespot.com/news/battlefield-3-week-one-sales-top-5-million-6343166

But they still spent WAY too much advertising.

I am just saying, compared to Halo 3 at 3.8 million in 2007, Halo 4 should be way over that mark.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2012 5:46:55 AM PST
MrFoxhound says:
Should have released it multi-platform.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2012 5:53:44 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 8, 2012 5:57:11 AM PST
got mayo?™ says:
Because of the marketing budget? It's a shooter with also 10 yr pedigree? CoD is a ridiculous phenomenon, so why not the second most played 3rd party non-CoD shooter on LIVE?

Battlefield 3 was out for 3 platforms..but those commercials let people watching the tele, XBL,the net...that the game is out....regardless of what you game on.

People literally waited for Halo 3 to buy Xbox 360's following Halo 2's success...it was early in the console's lifecycle.

Lots of sequels don't live up to the predecessors in sales. I won't list names, but really only a handful of franchises grow like this, if at all. You could almost make the argument that this is fairly surprising given how late in the lifecycle it is and how Reach and Halo 3 still make the top 20 in XBL activity.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2012 5:55:24 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 8, 2012 5:57:47 AM PST
got mayo?™ says:
I would love if it came out on PC with optimizations.

Posted on Nov 8, 2012 5:55:25 AM PST
JWK says:
This is great news. I'm unable to enjoy a game unless I know it's financially successful and has mass appeal.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2012 5:59:25 AM PST
I would think that this would have been hyped almost just as much, but I do understand your point.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2012 6:01:39 AM PST
got mayo?™ says:
I'm really curios how the day one numbers will be for Blops 2 on the 360. Halo 4's will be a drop in the bucket in comparison.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2012 6:05:16 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 8, 2012 6:06:12 AM PST
I don't even want to know...it's expected to be a lot bigger than the others.

Plus it's the new "future" generation too. If it does well, you best believe there won't be a modern warfare 4...but a COD: Future warfare

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2012 6:07:10 AM PST
Not saying that the campaign and graphical options wouldn't be awesome.....But Halo MP on PC is actually a pretty terrible affair.

The game is meant for controller, on PC it changes into something completely different. Halo 2 (PC) MP was pretty bad IMO.

Posted on Nov 8, 2012 6:08:56 AM PST
Still not nearly as much as black ops 2 will sell day one.
Critics are saying 10 million plus day one.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2012 6:12:21 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Nov 8, 2012 6:12:40 AM PST]

Posted on Nov 8, 2012 6:19:52 AM PST
jtshiel says:
I predict Bops 2 will be a collasal failure at 7.3 million units sold on release day.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2012 6:40:54 AM PST
It has broken pre order sales by millions of any other cod game.
Plus it broke amazons single game pre order sale by 3 times.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2012 6:44:18 AM PST
This orange is the best apple I've ever had!

Posted on Nov 8, 2012 6:47:21 AM PST
M. McFly says:
I call BS. Didn't JJ say that the guy that works at his local best buy said the game wasn't selling well?

Posted on Nov 8, 2012 6:48:41 AM PST
The problem with darksiders was word of mouth. It was a game that didn't get a lot of attention. I didn't buy the first one when it came out nor even heard of it. Once I saw it on the psn I bought it and tried it out. Then I heard Joe mad and Liam were coming to PRCC, so I bought it and asked them to sign it. The disc has never been removed from the box. It's opened just for the signature.

As for Army of Two, I loved the first one, the second however wasn't that great. It didn't have the same fun as the first one did.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2012 7:49:01 AM PST
John McClane says:
It is important for MP games.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2012 7:57:40 AM PST
He did say that, apparently he just meant his 1 store.

Posted on Nov 8, 2012 8:15:24 AM PST
M. McFly says:
I am still backing your bb guy.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2012 8:16:51 AM PST
It kind of makes sense though now, I found out they didn't do a midnight release.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2012 10:59:56 AM PST
Multiple analysts were reporting that Darksiders needed to sell 2m to recoup it's losses and that it was stuck at the original 1.4m shipped number.

This is unfortunate, but I'm sure they could have made a game that was still "awesome all around" that could have turned a profit with a $1m budget.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  27
Total posts:  54
Initial post:  Nov 7, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 8, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions