Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

Most Outragous Praise You've heard about a game?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 51-75 of 147 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Nov 4, 2012 6:14:04 PM PST
DVvM says:
That's a good plan. New Vegas had some really good DLC ("Old World Blues" is one of my favorite add-ons of all time.)

Posted on Nov 4, 2012 6:16:00 PM PST
Zen Kaizoku says:
Bastion's and Shadow Complex's praises were ridiculous, don't get me wrong, those are good games, but really?

Posted on Nov 4, 2012 6:16:24 PM PST
Modern Bear says:
I am going to grab New Vegas Ultimate Edition if it's on sale on BF too. I have yet to play Fallout 3 but it's sitting there waiting for me and whining like a cute puppy dog.

Posted on Nov 4, 2012 6:27:47 PM PST
Horowitz says:
Praise for the Persona games is way over the top.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 4, 2012 7:12:59 PM PST
Complete and total.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 4, 2012 7:13:31 PM PST
Unsurprising, coming from you.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 4, 2012 7:14:19 PM PST
Damn , I got ninja'd!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 4, 2012 7:14:21 PM PST
I. Flores says:
Ninja'd

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 4, 2012 7:16:15 PM PST
I ninja'd your ninja comment.

Pretty meta, huh?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 4, 2012 7:17:10 PM PST
Having tried both Morrowind and Oblivion and being bored to tears both times, I took a gamble on FO3 and I REALLY enjoyed it.

Posted on Nov 4, 2012 7:19:10 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 4, 2012 7:19:26 PM PST
The praise that Superbrothers: Sword and Sworcery got was amazingly over the top.

Posted on Nov 4, 2012 7:20:07 PM PST
new Tron says:
I'm stunned by some of the adjectives used when describing the Uncharted games. And I really enjoy the games, especially 2 and 3. But I don't think they're anywhere close to being some of the best games ever made, and I hear them refered to in that sense more than I'd expect.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 4, 2012 7:23:48 PM PST
Dukeshire says:
I disagree. UC1 and 3 were superior. The first half of UC2 was amazing but the second half was a huge letdown.

The games with the most lavish praise that don't deserve it outside of CoD have to be Killzone 2, which was subpar with spotty controls. And MGS IV.

Fable III did not receive a lot of lavish praise but compared to II it was a disappointment. Halo 2 was overrated as well, but to be fair it had big shoes to fill.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 4, 2012 7:25:06 PM PST
Horowitz says:
UC1 and UC2 were my favorites. UC3 was really good, but I just didn't get attached to the story or environments as much.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 4, 2012 7:26:55 PM PST
Dukeshire says:
UC1 was the complete package for me. 2, the puzzles in the second half along with the controls seemed off. I liked 3 especially after they patched the crappy aiming. They still had the annoying bullet sponges for some reason. So I just lowered the difficulty and enjoyed the ride.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 4, 2012 7:36:34 PM PST
Considering almost all of it was from people who had no idea what made it so good, I actually agree.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 4, 2012 7:38:48 PM PST
Heh, color me surprised!

So what was it that made it so good, and what was it that people (inaccurately) praised it for?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 4, 2012 8:03:42 PM PST
Horowitz says:
I agree with UC1. It's an unpopular opinion, to be sure, but the story built up the characters perfectly, whilst the jungle environment immersed me in it instead of being a globe trotting adventure. It did have some issues, as the aiming and some of the combat scenarios weren't as good as they could've been, but the rest of it was brilliant.

Posted on Nov 4, 2012 8:36:47 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 4, 2012 8:37:14 PM PST
This one guy wouldn't shut up about how great Journey was. We get it Mogwai, you like the game.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 4, 2012 8:41:23 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 4, 2012 8:42:11 PM PST
It was praised for things it did well--amazing music, a stark aesthetic, engaging writing. These things together make it a good product, but not a great one, and not nearly deserving the level of hype it received (to be fair, nothing widely praised ever deserves its hype--it's just a question of to what degree). What really makes the game stand out is how well it uses the medium--possibly better than it's ever been used before within the scope of a single work.

Posted on Nov 4, 2012 11:27:56 PM PST
who is AEK says:
Resistance 2, Killzone 3, Modern Warfare 2 & 3, Gears 3's campaign, Uncharted 3, Need for Speed Most Wanted reboot (granted the reviews are mixed) and Borderlands make my list. Borderlands is repetitive to me, Killzone 3 was horrific compared to 2, Uncharted 3 was bad in every form compared to 2, Most Wanted is laughable, don't get me started on MW series, never was a fan of Resistance, and Gears 3's campaign felt like I was playing Gears 1 'cept with different words, environment, enemies, and a few new guns. OH! And I thought Halo 3 received more praise than it deserved. That game was beyond too easy.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 4, 2012 11:36:47 PM PST
MrImmoli says:
@OP

I have to agree with you, at least about the whole "this game ends up being considered a grand statement about humanity" I don't get that either. Maybe I should try replaying it or reading all the text through at once. I still think that game is great though, I love how it had some repeat levels but just changed the way you interacted with time for that stage. Also, the ending.

I think Bastion gets way too much praise. It's gameplay is horrible, it's just a diabloesque game, but with such a small amount of content in comparison to other similar games. I think the only reason it gets any praise is because of the narrator, who does a great job, and the music. Though those don't mean much if the gameplay is bad.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 5, 2012 1:33:33 AM PST
Well, I thought that Braid was a good game. An excellent game, at that. I do also agree with you that the ending was a great mix of game play and story telling, and the sound track is excellent. I just think the artistic recognition the game gets is totally unwarranted. Many, many people think so.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 5, 2012 5:08:16 AM PST
I did love the music in that game.

Posted on Nov 5, 2012 5:17:58 AM PST
not exactly on topic but the word 'steamlining.' If you're ever playing a series and the next installment is going to be 'steamlined'; it means your game was 'too heady' for the masses and got a serious dumbing down for the mtn dew and doritos crowd. probably going to consoles too =)
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  50
Total posts:  147
Initial post:  Nov 4, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 6, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions