Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

Skyrim Game of the Year edition?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 76-100 of 164 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Nov 1, 2012 12:53:40 PM PDT
new Tron says:
"just scrape up enough money to buy the game if you want it"

Wow, talk about a first-world perspective.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 1, 2012 12:58:20 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Nov 1, 2012 12:59:34 PM PDT
new Tron says:
But to seriously answer you (I honestly don't know why I am, since you are coming across here as being incredibly narrow-minded), I have a hard time understanding why the video game industry is the one industry where releasing broken, incomplete product is completely acceptable. Obviously, you don't have a problem with that, so there's no point in arguing. For me, if I'm going to pay full price for something, as a consumer, I expect it to work. It cracks me up how Bethesda gets a free pass because they're the only developers making "complex" games.....

Posted on Nov 1, 2012 1:06:22 PM PDT
Ann Perkins says:
Since when does Bethesda get a free pass? Thats all I hear about is how buggy and unplayable their games are on day 1, despite never experiencing game breaking bugs in any of their titles (bought FO3, New Vegas, Skyrim, Oblivion, etc, all on day 1). So I don't see "people talk about it all the time" as "a free pass on the issue".

However franchises like CoD (60 dollar graphics polish and killstreak overhaul every year) and madden (60 dollar roster update) *DO* get a free pass (and millions of pre-orders and day one purchases).

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 1, 2012 1:22:54 PM PDT
Blue_Sun_Inc says:
@elec Tron: uh, buddy: we live in the first world, and given that you "scraped up enough money" to purchase and review over 50 video games, I think this reply is kinda smarmy.....

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 1, 2012 1:24:59 PM PDT
Blue_Sun_Inc says:
@elec Tron: conflating the complexity of video game design with the engineering of an automobile is puerile.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 1, 2012 1:26:27 PM PDT
Soulshine says:
You sound all smart.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 1, 2012 1:31:00 PM PDT
Blue_Sun_Inc says:
My question to you was how, specifically, Bethesda failed at quality control..... I suspect you haven't actually played Skyrim and therefore have no real complaint of the game itself beyond a prejudice.....

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 1, 2012 1:39:06 PM PDT
Blue_Sun_Inc says:
I never experienced game breaking bugs on any Bethesda title, either....

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 1, 2012 1:41:55 PM PDT
DVvM says:
I've never experienced a game-breaking bug in a Bethesda game. The worst I've had is an unfortunately timed crash while the autosave is executing which results in the autosave being corrupted. But that's why you maintain multiple manual saves when playing Bethesda games.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 1, 2012 1:42:28 PM PDT
T. E. Maddox says:
I am probably one of the bigger Elder Scrolls fans on the forum and although I have not had nearly the issues that others have reported there is no denying that there was a lack of quality control in Skyrim.

Ignoring the more technical problems that caused slowdowns and lockups I ran into broken quests that should have NEVER been broken.

1. I cleared a cave before I was asked too, which broke a quest for one of the Jarls, preventing me from from getting a house in one of the towns.

2. I found one of the instruments for the Bards College quest before I picked up the quest. That broke that quest line for me.

I love the game and rank it as one of my all-time favorites but bugs such as these (and there were others along the same lines) should NEVER get past QA. There should be a list of questions or testing scenarios for every quest and at the top of the list should be "What happens if I fnd the item or kill the NPC before I pick up the quest"?

This is not Bethesda's first foray into an open world RPG so they should have the testing of these types of issues down to a science.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 1, 2012 1:50:37 PM PDT
Blue_Sun_Inc says:
Cool, and I agree/experienced everything you posted here. Broken quests were the worst (had five or six unfinished on final playthrough, and a handful of useless items. Ugh!!) Apparently, recent patches fixed those problems, but.... Doesn't make it right.....

Posted on Nov 1, 2012 1:57:58 PM PDT
Blue_Sun_Inc says:
I'm on UESP.net right now, reviewing what the patches addressed..... Yeah, a lot of holes.... Doesn't change my intense love of the game, though.....

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 1, 2012 1:59:34 PM PDT
new Tron says:
Well, I'm a regular on this forum, and have been following this community's discussions on Skyrim since last year. Feel free to use the search option to pull up the multitude of threads about issues with Skyrim on the PS3. Broken quests, freezing, framerate issues, and now, Bethesda apparently doesn't have the skill to even make DLC for the platform. I have recently gotten a PC that can run the game, but I'm not even sure I want to support Bethesda anymore, despite Fallout 3 probably being my favorite game of this generation. Like I said before, I personally don't want to give my money to a company company that releases broken products. I realize you are a huge fan of Skyrim, but if it's possible for you to remove your fanboy goggles for just a minute, I'm sure you can realize see the sense in what I'm saying. Bethesda releasing a product that didn't function as advertised for 100% of the users = failing at quality control. It's really not complicated.

Posted on Nov 1, 2012 2:03:28 PM PDT
SuperHiro says:
I'm waiting for the "under 20$ edition"

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 1, 2012 2:04:54 PM PDT
new Tron says:
Of course it doesn't. We have plenty of people like you on this forum who defend corporate products with every ounce of their being, including trying to defend companies who allow things to happen such as their networks getting hacked and 42% of consoles shipping with hardware failures. Those people are called fanboys, and they can't be reasoned with.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 1, 2012 2:08:21 PM PDT
DVvM says:
That you may be waiting a while for. Oblivion is still over $20 on the 360.

Posted on Nov 1, 2012 2:15:30 PM PDT
I'm a TES fanboy, have been since the leadup for Morrowind. However, there is no way that I'm going to be day 1'ing any of their games any longer. I got the PS3 edition of Skyrim, and it became unplayable and I lost a character I spent over 70 hours on because of a patch that didn't fix the issues so he was lost for no reason. I now have it for PC, and it's much better. However, that doesn't excuse what they did by telling us before launch that PS3 was equal to other editions. If I had known prior to launch, I could have just upgraded my VC then and not had to spend $65 dollars on a game that I couldn't complete without the constant need to hard boot my console on a regular basis.

They lost a lot of confidence in many of their fans, and they haven't really done too much to remedy the situation. I'm just sick and tired of devs releasing broken games, knowing that they were broken, and just telling themselves that they'll fix it after it releases.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 1, 2012 2:16:36 PM PDT
Kirksplosion says:
It's dipped down to $34.99, so it could make an appearance in the not-too-distant future.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 1, 2012 2:19:19 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Nov 1, 2012 2:52:49 PM PDT
Blue_Sun_Inc says:
@elec Tron: You haven't actually played the game, have you?

"fanboy goggles" --> love the condescension each of your replies contain.

I am completely aware of the issues with Skyrim, because I spent a few hundred hours immersed in that world. I am faaaarrrrr more authotrized than you to quibble, bitch, complain and rant about all those minor frustrations.... But the rich immersion in another time and place was worth every minute and every penny. Given that you are obviously an extreme gamer, it's odd that you haven't actually experienced it for yourself.... (Just a note: I haven't played the game since last February, so I know nothing of the DLC or the patches.)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 1, 2012 2:24:04 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Nov 1, 2012 2:46:39 PM PDT
Kirksplosion says:
I don't know why I'm bothering to respond, but here goes...

I think you're just slightly confused about the motivations behind why some of us are waiting. You, perhaps, are thinking we're all dying to play the game, but don't have the funds or are simply penny-pinching to save some extra cash because we can't afford it. For me, this is incorrect. I have a high interest in getting the game, sure, but not enough that I will play it right away. Alas, I have a backlog of about 50 games that I've purchased, but have yet to play. I have a surplus of enjoyable gaming experiences awaiting me. So I'm not sitting here, twiddling my thumbs, awaiting a Skyrim GOTY edition with extreme anxiety. I'm playing a ton of awesome games as I casually wait for price drops on other awesome-looking games that will inevitably get added to this already large stack of awesome games.

tl;dr "Different tastes" is a concept that exists. Backlogs, too.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 1, 2012 2:42:50 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Nov 1, 2012 2:44:39 PM PDT
Blue_Sun_Inc says:
@elec Tron: See? This is what bothers me: (1) you haven't actually played the game; (2) from the moment I discovered this forum and posted something, you have condescended and sneered; (3) you assume I have the Bethesda logo tattooed on my face and that I am a fanboy-champion who blindly defends their products; (4) you twist my posts to mean that I "allow things to happen such as their networks getting hacked and 42% of consoles shipping with hardware failures." Therefore, you call me a "fanboy" who "can't be reasoned with."

Dude, I simply love the escape of running through the Skyrim wilderness. It's that simple for me. Given all the hiccups in the software (360 for me, not as unstable as PS3), it love(d) the ability to just check out of reality for a while and live in a fantasy. Does that make me a blind fanboy? No, it means I love the EXPERIENCE of the game, not necessarily the game itself...

BTW: I haven't played the game since last February, because I live firmly in the real world. I was hoping to spend some downtime this winter immersing in Skyrim once again with the GOTYEdition and that's what led me here for info. Thank you for making my experience here at Amazon pleasant.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 1, 2012 2:50:36 PM PDT
Blue_Sun_Inc says:
@kirk: cool! Yeah, winter is when I play games and I need my own stack of awesome games to work through. Haven't thought about or bought anything for awhile; Skyrim holds my imagination because of last Winter's gameplay....

Posted on Nov 1, 2012 3:20:08 PM PDT
Skyrim GOTY Edition has been available on TPB since launch

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 1, 2012 3:21:28 PM PDT
new Tron says:
When you come into a forum for the first time, and insult the regulars in your very first post by saying people are "naval-gazing" and acting like you and your precious Skyrim are all high and mighty, don't expect to be greeted with welcoming arms. It's ironic that you're trying to play the victim here when you are the one who waltzed in here and made your own bad first impression.

With regards to Skyrim, you are correct, my experience with the game is very limited. A good friend of mine owns it on PS3, and aside from walking around a field of mastadons and messing around with the menus and interface a bit, I haven't really played much of the game. And given the fact that there is no guarantee that I'll be able to have a solid gameplay experience due to all the bugs and glitches, I've decided that I will wait until I can get the full game plus all the DLC on Steam for the $10-$15 dollar range, as that's all I feel the game is worth given the fact that playing Skyrim and expecting a solid experience through and through is a gamble.

Posted on Nov 1, 2012 4:18:38 PM PDT
OP says:
I'm curious as to how the existence of both the Oghma Infinium multi-read and the Fortify Restoration loop provides evidence of good quality control.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  44
Total posts:  164
Initial post:  Aug 8, 2012
Latest post:  Feb 14, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions