Halo 4 metascore bombs to an 87!

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 154 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Nov 6, 2012 6:06:08 AM PST
Mel says:
try 87

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 5, 2012 10:55:17 PM PST
Nicos says:
90? 90??? Are you kidding? Anything less than a 97 is unplayable garbage.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 5, 2012 7:04:44 PM PST
"Gamespot's review of Skyward was actually spot on. I commend them for not automatically giving the game a 10 because it's Zelda."

Not even close from myhonest experience. He basically thought the gameplay was broken when it was actually one of the most ingenious, engaging, functional, and fun hardcore motion control experiences on the market, if not the best.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 5, 2012 7:00:59 PM PST
Excuses excuses

Posted on Nov 5, 2012 4:10:08 PM PST
Donkey Punch says:
http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mcx99vbtgS1qen1meo1_500.gif

Posted on Nov 5, 2012 3:40:52 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 5, 2012 3:41:16 PM PST
From the Quartertothree review:

"It's all a retread. A slide down the same worn groove when you could instead be playing Borderlands 2, or The Darkness II, or Mass Effect 3, or the new Painkiller re-release, or even Halo: Reach."

What? So why's he recommending a bunch of "retreads" and bashing Halo 4 for it?

Posted on Nov 5, 2012 3:02:46 PM PST
Just because Halo4 got some bad reviews doesn't mean you won't like it. I like Duke Nukem Forever.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 5, 2012 2:31:37 PM PST
tdc says:
If it actually was a launch PS3, $500 is fair. But I loved your story.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 5, 2012 2:19:40 PM PST
"I thought SHODAN was, in many ways, was a character that is driven by absolute power, combined with a sort of misanthropy for human the species, colliding with an extreme god complex."

I think that desciption pretty much hits the nail on the head :)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 5, 2012 2:17:46 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 5, 2012 2:19:40 PM PST
Lucanus says:
No worries, I tend to misunderstsand people often.

I haven't picked it up yet. I am a bit annoyed, I sold my extra ps3 on Ebay and the women hasn't paid me yet. It has been 5 days and I filed a complaint. But I am hoping to pick it up this month. I have waited thus far because of my U preorder, my wife wasn't exactly happy with it, so I backed off other purchases for a bit. I need to check out a few sites and figure out if I should go 360 or ps3 for Dishonored. The game sounds like something I will fall in love with. If that lady would ever pay me for my ps3, I could buy it today along with Uncharted 3 and Dragon's Dogma. Heck I might even have enough to grab ACIII as well. I sold my fat launch ps3 for $150, which I thought was fair.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 5, 2012 2:14:15 PM PST
Kirksnowsion says:
My apologies for the misunderstanding.

So...have you started Dishonored yet?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 5, 2012 2:11:50 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 5, 2012 2:12:58 PM PST
Lucanus says:
It is easy to miss represent one in text, especially when one types fast. I thought the reviews for ACIII would be so glowing it would top my list of games worth checking out immediately, instead is fell a few slots. Overall I still have high hopes for the game, I will probably grab it early next year on the U and give it a go. Right now Halo 4 and Dishonored are simply higher on the list. I agree completely they are good as purchasing guides, but at the end of the day I prefer what I prefer. I still think GTA is overrated garbage and hasn't changed despite all the glowing reviews. I also think Resistance is far better than most give it credit for. I also think the Gamespot guy is crazy when it comes to Skyward.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 5, 2012 2:07:53 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 5, 2012 2:08:05 PM PST
Kirksnowsion says:
Just sounded like you were taking some reviews to be the golden truth, saying some things as though from first-hand experience...

"A shame really, I thought it would be in contention for GotY, instead of simply being good."

I'm not saying reviews shouldn't be used to sway your purchasing decisions. They sway mine often - sometimes a game will get picked up sooner with a glowing review from a trusted writer, or vice versa. What I am saying is that's really all they're designed to be: purchasing guides, not definitive qualitative studies of games.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 5, 2012 1:55:10 PM PST
Lucanus says:
Halo 4 is another reason ACIII will be picked up later. My wife loves Halo, playing split screen Halo with the wife isn't a bad deal. There are much worse things.

Posted on Nov 5, 2012 1:54:15 PM PST
I'm paying $10 for Halo 4 thanks to a Best Buy gift card.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 5, 2012 1:52:51 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 5, 2012 1:53:59 PM PST
Lucanus says:
Oh I plan on playing it and making up my own mind. I just don't think I am going to pay full price for it. I use reviews to schedule which games to play, since I don't have time to play them all. Bare in mind it is in the text, not the score, that I use to make up my mind. I'd rather pay full price now for Dishonored and check out ACIII later. If I had the time to check out both now, trust me I would. It is very possible that I will prefer ACIII over Dishonored, despite Dishonored being reviewed better. Me thinks you read too much into my posts.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 5, 2012 1:50:43 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 5, 2012 1:56:21 PM PST
Kirksnowsion says:
"Quite frankly I'd rather just play a game and make up my own darn mind."

Pretty funny that you'd say that after calling AC3 a "good" but not "great" game after simply reading reviews for it last week. Seems like something that would need to be determined, you know, upon playing it and making up your own darn mind.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 5, 2012 1:48:33 PM PST
I thought SHODAN was, in many ways, was a character that is driven by absolute power, combined with a sort of misanthropy for human the species, colliding with an extreme god complex.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 5, 2012 1:47:56 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 5, 2012 1:51:29 PM PST
Lucanus says:
" The Wii Remote has trouble recognizing your different swings. Often, you thrust forward in real life only to watch Link swing feebly in the game or just stand completely motionless. The sensitivity varies wildly so you're never quite sure how much force you need before the game recognizes your actions. As in the aforementioned situation, you may swing your arm while Link ignores you. Other times, you might adjust your grip so you go from holding on your left side to your right, only to see Link lash out at an enemy when you didn't want to do so. Most troubling of all is how the aiming works. There are certain items that require you to aim at the screen. However, the calibration is frequently wrong, forcing you to tap down on the D-pad to recenter. This happens with alarming frequency, and when you find yourself in a heated battle looking directly at the ground, you'll curse the game for damning you with such a cumbersome control scheme. "

Honestly I just couldn't possibly disagree more with the reviewer. I simply did not have those issues at all. Especially the calibration part. I 100%'ed the game with 40 hours of play, I calibrated at most 10 times. I really question his setup more than anything.

I also find it an odd "coindence" that Gamespot was the last major website to review the game and they were the only one to bash the game.... imagine that. It came off is a cheap way to get people to visit their website.

Posted on Nov 5, 2012 1:44:57 PM PST
M. McFly says:
How do you get your website that no one cares about attention? Take the most popular game of the year and destroy it. Shocking. How original.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 5, 2012 1:44:54 PM PST
I think his point was that while yes, you could play it "properly", you could also just flail your way to victory. When fighting those enemies that block you, all you had to do was land one hit before you can waggle away. Landing that one hit could be an issue though, as merely changing your stance might cause link to strike inadvertently, and therefore cause the enemy to change its block.

Posted on Nov 5, 2012 1:43:20 PM PST
"It was better when Shodan and GlaDOS did it. Also, AIs have a lifespan, like replicants. Didn't you know that? In case you didn't, Halo 4 is telling you now."

Ugh. First of all SHODAN and GlaDOS didn't experience "rampancy" in the way Cortana is. Their narrative function is to provide an opponent for the player that is both superior intellectually and completely amoral. SHODAN can be considered "evil" in pretty much every sense of the word. GlaDOS seems to be suffering from a kind of existential ennui and is "in it for the lols" more than anything.

Bungie started using "rampancy" back in the Marathon series. Durandal was an AI that experienced a similar fate as Cortana (going mad). It is akin to a degenerative disease or an artifical lifespan limiter (like the Blade Runner Replicants, as the reviewer seemed to understand despite his overgeneralization).

There's nothing wrong with the plot of this game, it has been telegraphed since before HALO even existed, and compaing Cortana to SHODAN or GlaDOS tells me that this guy doesn't have a firm grasp on understanding narrative themes. I don't believe he's half as smart as he thinks he is.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 5, 2012 1:42:29 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 5, 2012 1:43:10 PM PST
Lucanus says:
I just remember reading it and thinking the man was too stupid to realize it required smooth motion, not random frailing hands in the air. The precision of the game is scary good when it is played properly. I had no problems executing the strikes I needed. The reviewer could not say the same. I felt like I was playing a completely different game than he was. Skyward is perfection. Your opinion is wrong.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 5, 2012 1:38:35 PM PST
Gamespot's review of Skyward was actually spot on. I commend them for not automatically giving the game a 10 because it's Zelda.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 5, 2012 1:11:45 PM PST
Mel says:
in some scenarios
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  43
Total posts:  154
Initial post:  Nov 5, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 6, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions