Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stephen Marley Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro
Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

Ron Gilbert leaves Double Fine to plot his next move

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 10 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 12, 2013 6:11:07 AM PDT
www.pcgamer.com/previews/the-cave/the-cave-7/cccc

Ron Gilbert leaves Double Fine to plot his next move

Shaun Prescott at 04:31am March 12 2013

Legendary game designer Ron Gilbert has announced his departure from Double Fine Productions, following the release of The Cave. Gibert made the announcement in a blog post earlier today, posting that there are "so many games left to be designed". He's currently working on "another iOS side project" with Clayton Kauzlaric called (take a deep breath) Scurvy Scallywags in The Voyage to Discover the Ultimate Sea Shanty: A Musical Match-3 Pirate RPG.

Gilbert joined Double Fine in 2010 at the invitation of the studio's founder Tim Schafer. Gilbert and Schafer collaborated on several titles at LucasArts including Day of the Tentacle - which was a sequel to the Gilbert-created Maniac Mansion.

"I want to thank all the amazing people at Double Fine for all their hard work on The Cave," Gilbert wrote in the announcement. "It was a true pleasure to work with every one of them over the past two years. So much fun. I miss them all. And of course to Tim for creating the opportunity to come there and make The Cave." Gilbert rounded out his announcement with the promise of more "behind the scenes pictures" for The Cave in the coming weeks.

Ron Gilbert will be a keynote speaker at the inaugural PAX Australia, which takes place this July in Melbourne. We wish Gilbert all the best.

Posted on Mar 12, 2013 6:11:53 AM PDT
MrFoxhound says:
Wasn't Gilbert supposed to be the other half of DFA?

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 12, 2013 6:33:56 AM PDT
Kirksplosion says:
I think the only DFA mention he got was in the pitch video. "Hey look, it's Ron Gilbert. Maybe he'll help us." *Gilbert slams the door* "...he'll help us." Not sure if they ever said anything else about his involvement beyond that. So I suppose it was implied that he'd "help", which he did in the very early stages based on what I've seen in the documentary.

Either way, I always thought Gilbert's time at Double Fine was temporary. From what I recall, he just wanted help from DF to make The Cave, and then he'd be back to doing whatever. I did wonder if he'd find himself enjoying it enough to stick around, but I suppose the man likes his independence.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 12, 2013 6:40:09 AM PDT
We also don't know what his involvement was. If he was a co-writer than his work with DFA might have already concluded while they work on actually making it into a game.

Posted on Mar 12, 2013 6:43:46 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 12, 2013 6:44:07 AM PDT
StriderNeo15 says:
The documentary made it seem like he had nothing to do with the actual game development on DFA. There was one scene where he reviewed Tim's writing and one where they were partying after the Cave in like 5 episodes IIRC.

Posted on Mar 12, 2013 6:47:58 AM PDT
Yeah, Gilbert really was doing more of his own thing. He might have helped Tim a tiny but for DFA but it wasn't something where he was really super important.

This coming from the fact like Strider said that he's not really in the documentary episodes at all. It's mostly Tim and the rest of the Reds team.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 12, 2013 6:48:50 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 12, 2013 6:49:23 AM PDT
Kirksplosion says:
That's the early stage of assistance that I was referencing - he seemed to help some with writing and some big-picture brainstorming about what a modern adventure would look like, and then he was back to his own game.

I'm curious to see this Scurvy Scallywags in The Voyage to Discover the Ultimate Sea Shanty: A Musical Match-3 Pirate RPG.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 12, 2013 7:05:42 AM PDT
McAwesomeo says:
It's also possible he can still help with DFA while not being part of Double Fine. After all, Avellone is helping with Wasteland 2 and he's not part of inExile.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 12, 2013 7:05:48 AM PDT
"I did wonder if he'd find himself enjoying it enough to stick around, but I suppose the man likes his independence."

This is amusing when you consider how independent DF is.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 12, 2013 7:06:41 AM PDT
Kirksplosion says:
Hehe, yep, that Gilbert is a true drifter.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Video Games forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
OT: Ghostbuster 2016, what went wrong 32 1 minute ago
Microsoft Working to 'Make Steam Progressively Worse' on Windows 10 to Force Gamers to Use Windows Store 43 2 minutes ago
ABZU AKA Journey Underwater Gameplay Walkthrough Part 1 0 9 minutes ago
A Couple Game Codes If Anybody Wants Them 45 20 minutes ago
OT: looks like whoever closed out the main OT got banned spamming it to death so I guess this is the new main OT 3897 32 minutes ago
OT: Democratic National Convention and the rest of the stink coming out of Philadelphia this week 724 33 minutes ago
OT: Which is it Democrats? 5 1 hour ago
Not a single Xbox One console currently on Amazon's top 100 best selling Video Game items. 249 1 hour ago
OT: dnc breaks federal law at convention: violation of section 8 u.s. code § 1324 89 1 hour ago
OT: It's Going to be Great When Hillary Clinton Wins the Election 164 1 hour ago
Top 5 New IPs This Gen 76 1 hour ago
No Man's Sky trailer: Survive 29 1 hour ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  7
Total posts:  10
Initial post:  Mar 12, 2013
Latest post:  Mar 12, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions