Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

TIME magazine's Top 100 Games of all time

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 26-50 of 142 posts in this discussion
Posted on Nov 16, 2012 8:03:02 AM PST
I have fewer gripes with this list than I normally do, I like how they broke it down by decade. It's still horribly wrong, but better than the crap 9GN puts out there.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 8:04:02 AM PST
McAwesomeo says:
Despite a few odd entries, yes. About a thousand times better than 9GN's list. And that number is Proven by Science!™

Posted on Nov 16, 2012 8:06:48 AM PST
Carlito says:
This was actually one of the most impressive lists I've seen. I also believe the breaking down of decades and no real ranking was a great move.

Posted on Nov 16, 2012 8:07:23 AM PST
Junkiiiii says:
You cannot argue the popularity of Angry Birds and what it is doing for mobile/casual gaming. It has every right to be on a best of list. I'm a core gamer who plays the "real" games but a few minutes ago I was swiping my Angry Bird Obi Wan to use his force powers against Bad Piggie Stormtroopers.

Posted on Nov 16, 2012 8:19:54 AM PST
Iso says:
This is not too shabby. Some missing entries that I would have included would be River City Ransom and oddly enough there is not one single mention of the 64 era Zeldas.

Pretty good overall.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 8:28:51 AM PST
Carlito says:
Not only the populatarity, but lets call a spade a spade. If you're in your mid/late 20's to 30+, you entered the gaming community playing what are essentially casual games. Prior to the NES, gaming was ALL casual games in an industry built for and on the backs of casual fans. Angry Birds is the exact same model as space invaders, pacman, mario, excitebike, paperboy, etc...all the games that a majority of us begin gaming with. All quick, bite sized levels with a small amount of logic and coordination involved to move onto the next level. I mean, how hypocritical is it for these so called 'core gamers' to dismiss a game that follows the exact same model and formula for EVERY entry level game they played/loved as a child just because, why? It's on an android/iOS device? How completely dumb is that?

Posted on Nov 16, 2012 8:29:16 AM PST
Yup, I like that they grouped it by decade and didn't rank the games. Many choices are more "unique" than "best": Rez, Okami, etc. But an interesting list overall.

Posted on Nov 16, 2012 8:30:17 AM PST
This list has Hunt the Wumpus so it seems legit. I remember playing that when i was a little kid. it was the first video game i ever played. we had it for the Texas Instruments console. It was mostly luck but i still felt like a bada$$ the few times i won.

Posted on Nov 16, 2012 8:30:28 AM PST
MrFoxhound says:
I was actually just kidding when I posted that, because I know how this board reacts to mobile gaming. I think it's a pretty good list except for putting Windows solitaire on there.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 8:31:00 AM PST
MrFoxhound says:
What the **** is wrong with Rez, mother ****er?! Don't you be talkin' no **** about Rez!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 8:32:28 AM PST
Absolutely nothin.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 8:33:27 AM PST
Uh...Rez is an incredible rail shooter, and Okami is arguably the best 3D action adventure game of all time.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 8:36:10 AM PST
Carlito says:
Agreed...pretty sure Fez and Okami are best and unique

Posted on Nov 16, 2012 8:36:32 AM PST
Color me impressed with this list. VGF hatters be hattin' but only because time made some obvious selections based on *gasp* popularity and influence.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 8:37:23 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 16, 2012 8:37:58 AM PST
I'm only upset by the absence of Final Fantasy IV, really. Makes sense though, VII is wildly popular and they probably didn't want to put too many games from one series on the list.

Posted on Nov 16, 2012 8:39:46 AM PST
Haha, okay, I withdraw my statement! I played both, but I never got very far into either Rez or Okami.

Posted on Nov 16, 2012 8:41:39 AM PST
JWK says:
I'm actually surprised that this is from Time magazine, because it's a pretty solid list. I don't even care that most of my very favorite games (A Link to the Past, Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, Resident Evil 4, Uncharted series, Super Mario World) don't make an appearance. Would I change a few things? Sure. But not bad.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 8:42:07 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 16, 2012 8:42:25 AM PST
Iso says:
If you read the comments, most of us are saying it is probably one of the best lists we have seen.

Posted on Nov 16, 2012 8:42:46 AM PST
MrFoxhound says:
I'm surprised that RE4 isn't on there. I don't like the game, but it's influence on solidifying an entire genre (over the shoulder/third person shooter) is apparent.

Posted on Nov 16, 2012 8:47:42 AM PST
G-Money says:
I think a list such as this is pretty much impossible to do. The best bet is to do a top 50 or 100 list broken down by categories (RPGs, platformers, shooters, etc.) or time period (top games from 80's, 90's). Even then ,you will always have detractors.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 8:48:35 AM PST
There will always be Oskars.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 8:58:48 AM PST
Carlito says:
My ONLY thought on why 4 isn't on the list is because the series showed up in the 90's (although 1 is radically different from 4). I never played the first Diablo, so I can't speak on the differences between 1 and 2, but my thought is a numbered sequel, according to the makers of the list, only made it if the game preceeding it was either a comletely different looking game (GTA or GTA 3) or the numbered sequel had a radical impact on the aesthetic of games at that time (FF7 vs previous FF's). While RE4 was amazing, it did come at the tail end of a generation, did push a series to new heights, but didn't exactly reinvent the wheel in terms of impact on the community. Just a thought, probably wrong.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 9:04:12 AM PST
I only read the first page comments, most of which were negative. My apologies. I see that most on recent pages think it's a solid list, and I agree.

Posted on Nov 16, 2012 9:05:37 AM PST
No Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Turtles in Time for the Super Nintendo?! Blasphemy!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 9:08:32 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 16, 2012 9:09:11 AM PST
Kirksnowsion says:
List looks pretty decent to me, especially their 2000s picks.

Let me take a guess at what a lot of the comments are, though - grumble this game should be on there grumble that game shouldn't be on there grumble.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  46
Total posts:  142
Initial post:  Nov 16, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 18, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions