Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stephen Marley Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro
Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

10 Trends That Are Killing Video Games

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 26-50 of 129 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2012 3:29:09 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 20, 2012 3:29:57 PM PST
DVvM says:
I think some games can narratively justify regenerating health (or partially regenerating health), and when you actually do that it's fine.

Like in Mass Effect 3, you have shields and health. When your shields are depleted your health goes down. Your shields regen, your health does not. This is a great system.

In Deus Ex: Human Revolution you are a freaking cyborg, when you get hurt all the crazy technology in your body heals you.

But if you're just like a normal dude with a gun, your health shouldn't regenerate. But if you're a normal dude with a gun, you really shouldn't survive multiple gunshot wounds anyway.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2012 3:37:01 PM PST
OP says:
Well, I don't really know about anybody else, but I have always found it rather peculiar that somehow, your assassins know how to swim (post-Altair), but nobody else does.

Posted on Nov 20, 2012 3:45:35 PM PST
Totally agree with games trying to be like movies, day 1 patches and on-disc DLC.

Posted on Nov 20, 2012 4:03:59 PM PST
"In Deus Ex: Human Revolution you are a freaking cyborg, when you get hurt all the crazy technology in your body heals you."

Not to nitpick, but mechanical prosthetics in conjunction with your organic body would be an absolute nightmare when it comes to sustaining injury. Osseointegrated titanium and other such skeletal/muscular implants are one thing, but implants that replace internal organs and, even worse, violate the integrity of the skull/spinal column would already be at risk for infection vectors and a lead slug fired into the works would only complicate matters.

Even, assuming that Jensen had some sort of internal antibiotic pump and various other immune boosters/anti-rejection drugs, you would still have a damaged machine that you would be expecting to repair itself--while damaged.

In a world of nanomachines it makes sense to have regenerating health. However, in the somewhat plausible world that Jensen lives in (the world I one day aspire to be a part of) there is only infection, shock, and death. In reality human augmentation through prosthetics would be a much less attractive military option than just slapping a robotic exosuit on some marines and telling them to go nuts.

They still wouldn't be able to regenerate though, that's some Star Trek bulls#%^

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2012 4:08:04 PM PST
Reading this reminds me of Vamp and Raiden from MGS and the nanomachines they were injected with.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2012 4:15:18 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 20, 2012 4:15:38 PM PST
"Reading this reminds me of Vamp and Raiden from MGS and the nanomachines they were injected with."

Nanomachines are scary-cool. The possibility that they could end up devouring the entire world is all too real. I think they make amazing deus ex machina for sci-fi games like, well, Deus Ex. I just don't anyone building a fabricator next door and finding out that robo-termites ate all the carbon out of my body while I was sleeping :(

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2012 4:19:06 PM PST
FOGE says:
Holy shit! That made complete sense! Are you a scientific genius who work with nano machines and cybernetic prosthesis from the future?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2012 4:21:33 PM PST
FOGE says:
Is that what the villains used in GI Joe the movie? Saw it a while ago and can't remember. I watched Technocalypse on Netflix a week ago and they talked about nanos eating the world. It was pretty scary.

Posted on Nov 20, 2012 4:27:34 PM PST
Modern Bear says:
I was told by a number of publishers and developers that used games were killing video games. Video games still seem to be alive and well, with a bit of decline in sales in 2012 that will probably recover next year. Therefore I conclude that used games are helping video games and thus we should all go to Gamestop and engage in a fistbumping marathon with their employees.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2012 4:31:23 PM PST
Ha ha, I don't know many geniuses who work at a bank trying to fumble their way through school. I'm just a regular guy who likes putting things in people that don't belong there...

Should I go ahead and rephrase that last bit? Nah.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2012 4:35:06 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 20, 2012 4:40:48 PM PST
DVvM says:
While that's certainly both fair and true, it is important to note that DE:HR is still science fiction, and the essence of science fiction is that "the writer declares something to be different via fiat, and we figure out where it goes from there."

So the Sentinel Implant repairing the body is implausible, but not necessarily more implausible than the Icarus implant being able to harness the earth's magnetic field to counteract gravity. Both are something that sound plausible on the surface but don't stand up to deeper and more nuanced analysis.

But I at least want to give games credit for attempting to explain their mechanics narratively. So even if Adam Jensen shouldn't be able to heal like he does, this is less unforgivable than Marcus Fenix healing like he does (he's a dude with no neck who is wearing half a car as no armor, so it makes sense that he's somewhat resistant to bullets, but he's not really otherwise exceptional.)

We also have to keep in mind that Jensen was somebody's science project even before the events of the game and there's some nebulously defined sense in which he has completely fused with the technology (he doesn't need to take rejection drugs, for example.) So in that they already established that Jensen is "special" and it's also established that the augmentation procedures given to Jensen were far and away beyond what was necessary to save his life. So it's probably okay to let that one slide.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2012 4:35:35 PM PST
Some of these things are issues, others are not.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2012 4:47:04 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 20, 2012 4:48:02 PM PST
Kirksplosion says:
I'm less concerned with how it serves the narrative, and more about how it affects the flow and pacing of gameplay. A survival horror game with a slower, calculated pace would probably be better served with health packs, but something with faster action (normal guy or not) often benefits from a regenerating health.

Posted on Nov 20, 2012 4:49:55 PM PST
Just $60 a game is enough to kill video games.

Posted on Nov 20, 2012 4:50:03 PM PST
K Archer says:
Health regen is an iffy subject...to me, it really depends on how well its implemented and how it works in the story. The better its explained (in terms of game-lore), the more accepting I am of it (what can I say...I like things that make sense, at least in the game world). If it also just works with the game...I tend to be more OK with it too.

That being said...I like HP and health packs a LOT better. Makes for better gameplay, especially in MP.

A mix of the two (like in Resistance 1&2) is fine by me as well...I thought it worked really well in those games.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2012 4:54:54 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 20, 2012 4:55:23 PM PST
Kirksplosion says:
How do you feel it "makes for better gameplay"? Perhaps it is a better suited mechanic for the games you enjoy, but it's not inherently a stronger gameplay function.

Posted on Nov 20, 2012 4:59:56 PM PST
I don't think any certain gameplay mechanic is killing gaming. Gaming is too diverse for that. I think the bigger factors are pricing and market variety.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2012 5:00:51 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 20, 2012 5:25:41 PM PST
Agreed on this. Games should be $50 max.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2012 5:08:46 PM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Aug 22, 2013 5:33:06 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2012 5:09:32 PM PST
Wow.

What is this, 2010?

Posted on Nov 20, 2012 5:11:42 PM PST
This list seems silly. The majority of the complaints can be used in all era of videos.

10. Competing with cinema. Doesn't anyone remember the "multimedia boom" of the early 90s? How about Dragon's Lair from the early 80s?

9. DRM. Seems like a legit issue to me.

8. Naff Spin-Offs. Mario is Missing? Mario's Time Machine? Mario Teaches Typing? Sonic Gameworld? Sonic R?

7. Casual Sexism. Custer's Revenge and almost every video game ever made that has a woman in it and has a male audience.

6. Can't swim. I remember playing games back in the day as a kid and whenever we saw a pool of water for the first time, we'd jump in to see if the character could swim. It's nothing new. Not all games need to have swimming characters either. What a dumb complaint.

5. Day One Patches. His complaints seemed legit to me.

4. Terrible scripts. That's every medium ever made. Sturgeon's Law comes into play here.

3. Motion Controls. Don't like the way it works? Don't play it. It reminds me of people complaining about having too many buttons on a Super Nintendo controller. It's a dumb complain.

2. On Disc DLC. I can see this as a legit complaint.

1. Annualized Franchises. Nothing new here either. Definitely more prominent than it has been in the past but it's also something that happens in every medium.

This guy's list is stupid overall. He probably wants to come across as taking gaming too seriously but also wants to get money from advertisers because everyone loves lists. I hate myself for reading it.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2012 5:11:43 PM PST
Heh.

"I want my games to be more realistic when it comes to health!"
"How so?"
"Regenerating health sucks!"
"You're right. Why don't you eat this food here. Or simply walk on top of this medical kit. Or rest for 8 hours."

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2012 5:12:13 PM PST
In what way do they actually damage the medium?

Posted on Nov 20, 2012 5:15:14 PM PST
Look at some of this guy's other articles. Great stuff.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2012 5:15:17 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 20, 2012 5:16:56 PM PST
Kirksplosion says:
We blindly accept so many other gaming conventions that don't "make sense" but they make games more fun, so I'm just not sure why health regeneration would be any different, honestly.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Video Games forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Microsoft Working to 'Make Steam Progressively Worse' on Windows 10 to Force Gamers to Use Windows Store 2 9 minutes ago
Not a single Xbox One console currently on Amazon's top 100 best selling Video Game items. 231 20 minutes ago
Microsoft cheats customers: DVR function promised for XBox One, now is cancelled 24 24 minutes ago
What are the best couch multiplayer/party games ever? 53 37 minutes ago
Fallout 4 - Vault-Tec Workshop is out today. 4 43 minutes ago
PS4 Rise of the Tomb Raider Preorders Come With Free Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition 22 49 minutes ago
Top 5 New IPs This Gen 13 52 minutes ago
Microsoft cheats customers: millions of people paid $100 each for Kinect camera, now it has been abandoned 74 55 minutes ago
Digital Foundry: Xbox One is a piece of chit. That's why you can buy it for $249, with many games and extra controller too 8 56 minutes ago
Xbox Console Sales Decline Causing 33% Hardware Revenue Drop; Xbox Live Active Users Grow 33% YoY 94 57 minutes ago
OT: It's Going to be Great When Hillary Clinton Wins the Election 12 1 hour ago
Why is Sony so irrelevant in Esports? 2 1 hour ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  37
Total posts:  129
Initial post:  Nov 20, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 21, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions