Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

Rockstar Boasts That Now is the Best Time for Xbox 360, PS3

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 30 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 14, 2012 9:25:34 AM PST
got mayo?™ says:
http://www.polygon.com/2012/11/14/3643990/gta-5-writer-explains-the-decision-to-develop-for-current-gen-consoles

GTA 5 writer explains the decision to develop for current gen consoles

As of right this minute, if you really want to read about Rockstar Games' Grand Theft Auto 5 in any real depth, you're still not going to have much choice apart from (gasp) actually purchasing a magazine or something. That holds just as true in Japan, where this week's issue of Famitsu magazine offers largely the same sort of information that was in Game Informer but, you know, in Japanese.

Included in the coverage is an interview with GTA writer Dan Houser, who gave Famitsu the same sort of rambling insider look at how his mind works that he gives in most of his profiles.

"There were five key themes for this title," he began. "One, it should have just this really huge world. Two, it has lots of goals you need to accomplish. Three, the number of robbery missions spread throughout the game apart from the main story. Four, the three playable characters; and five, the completely new multiplay. I think when player experience this sort of gameplay they've never seen before, they're going to say 'What the hell is this?' And I think that's the most vital point here."

GTA 5 features three characters (Michael, Trevor and Franklin) that you switch between as you run tandem missions and so forth. "Michael is a serious guy who does his work well, the sort of man who can do good things if he feels like it," Houser said. "Trevor is totally crazy, but at least he's not a hypocrite or anything. I think each of the three characters can be described as being masters at greed, ambition, and insanity respectively. When a GTA hero becomes a criminal, he starts to get deeply moved by these three emotions. Michael was who we came up first, the sort of guy who'd be a middle-aged retired GTA hero. He's got money, he's got a wife, but he's bored. Franklin is a young man with a lot of hope, which I think makes for a nice contract. Trevor is jut bipolar; he's smart but he's got personality problems, which makes juxtaposing him against Michael pretty funny too."

In other words, Houser is quick to note, this isn't going to be your typical sort of GTA story where some random hood starts as the lowest of the low and eventually becomes a cartoonish mob kingpin. "It's a completely type of story this time," he said. "The three heroes are all playing out their own conflicting roles, and it makes for a deeper and more complex story than before. I'd like you to think of it as a new story, once that you've never experienced not just in games but in any other genre. I guess it sort of talks about how that beautiful West Coast, covered in these rainbows of hope, isn't really the paradise you'd imagine."

With all this bold talk about the story, Houser was a lot more conservative in his talk with Famitsu when it came to hardware. The editor Houser spoke with was a little surprised that GTA 5 wasn't coming out for the console generation after the current one, something the Rockstar creative director brushed off. "Rockstar is a content company, not a hardware company," he said. "We use the technology we have to create content, and we try not to let ourselves get beholden to the hardware. The fact that hardware's so mature right now is exactly why we're able to go on to the next level. GTA 4 was our first attempt at a new platform and HD visuals, so the first part of development was seriously difficult. Now we know what the hardware's capable of, so it's become a lot easier to move things along and a lot more fun, too. GTA: San Andras came out at the peak of the PlayStation 2's cycle, and we put out a really good game thanks to that. All the best games for a console come out at the end of the lifecycle, right? So now's the best timing of all."

Houser, and Rockstar, have always been kind to Japanese game magazines in terms of offering coverage, and it's paid off in recent years. Grand Theft Auto 4 sold over 270,000 copies in Japan, still the company's top seller there (although Red Dead Redemption isn't far off). "I really believe that GTA 5 is something that Japanese players can really enjoy," Houser closed. "I also really hope that even more Japanese players take this game on than previous ones. Now I just hope they all don't mind waiting a little longer to hear about GTA 5's multiplayer."

Posted on Nov 14, 2012 9:26:18 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 14, 2012 9:27:19 AM PST
MrFoxhound says:
Wii U version, Dan?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 9:28:14 AM PST
new Tron says:
I'll bet that won't happen.

Posted on Nov 14, 2012 9:36:32 AM PST
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 9:47:23 AM PST
R. Typo says:
Yea, I hate things that I know nothing about, and just because it's stupid n' stuff.

Posted on Nov 15, 2012 7:57:30 AM PST
The BEST time is when I have GTA V in my greedy little hands, and I'm preparing to sit down for 18 hours straight of mind-numbing thuggery.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2012 7:58:07 AM PST
UR stupid

Posted on Nov 15, 2012 8:40:47 AM PST
waxc3 says:
good read. thanks Mayo.
article needs better editing though

Posted on Nov 15, 2012 8:42:07 AM PST
Now is a good time to buy these consoles, amazing libraries. GTA V is not a good reason to do anything though.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2012 9:00:13 AM PST
It's a decent reason to get GTA 5.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2012 9:02:05 AM PST
I was already pretty firmly in the No column for this game, but then I heard you're playing 3 different characters, no thank you. Also, no OG Loc?!

Posted on Nov 15, 2012 9:02:24 AM PST
PacinoBully says:
Main reason they are keeping it current gen....install base is huge on 360/PS3....install base on a new gen is small. Its all about the $$$.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2012 9:04:16 AM PST
PacinoBully says:
It would be nice to have the map on the gamepad while playing on the screen. I agree though, probably won't happen.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2012 9:25:03 AM PST
MrFoxhound says:
Yeah, could set waypoints without having to go to the pause menu, could probably put easy weapon change access on there too. Maybe they could even suggest routes for evading the police, or let the user keep records of good routes to use for the same purpose.

Posted on Nov 15, 2012 10:10:15 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 15, 2012 10:10:49 AM PST
got mayo?™ says:
I'll take the version where you don't have to take your eyes off the big screen. As if you need yet another reason to get sidetracked in a GTA game.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2012 10:12:02 AM PST
MrFoxhound says:
Wow, I would hate to be around you people driving in real life. You look away for a half second and BAM accident.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2012 10:13:51 AM PST
new Tron says:
After actually playing a Wii U last week, I'm with mayo on this....I'm not sure how I'd feel about having to follow a map in real time on the gamepad.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2012 10:24:45 AM PST
got mayo?™ says:
How you'd feel? You'd think conceptually it is 'cool' and after practice realize it is a disruptive design.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2012 10:27:50 AM PST
MrFoxhound says:
I don't see how it's any different then looking at the mini-map that is on the TV now. Hell, with these 60+ inch TV's it would take an effort to glance at the minimap and make any sense of it. It wouldn't be any different than glancing at the gamepad, either way, your eyes are off the action and you are using your peripherals.

Of course, the easy work around is that they allow the player to keep the minimap on the screen as well as the game pad.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2012 10:29:20 AM PST
Meth Panther says:
Stop trying to defend your terrible decision to buy a Wii U!

We all know deep down inside you regret it, and your excitement is forced.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2012 10:31:58 AM PST
MrFoxhound says:
Aw, I'm sad now.

Posted on Nov 15, 2012 10:47:56 AM PST
Mel says:
Why do I have to play all the characters?
Because you keep hitting the switch character button

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2012 11:21:31 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 15, 2012 11:25:56 AM PST
got mayo?™ says:
Keep it real dude. That makes no sense. You can ignore the mini map, yet it is always there for a subtle glance on your display. Dropping your peripheral vision below the image to stare at rocks is quite different.

In a game where taking your eyes off the screen to stare at another is actually part of the games design...is one thing.

Placing a navigation map off-screen is simply disruptive. That is like pausing Skyrim to stare at map hung on my wall.

To humor your earlier post...akin to texting while driving...it is still disruptive, whether you think you are really good at it because you have not gotten into an accident doing so.

I'm all for the Wii U controller being used intuitively....and it there will be many instances where it will be implemented smartly...but moving stuff unto it just because there is real estate there does not mean it is for the better or benefit immersion. I have a feeling once people get a good crack at using these tack'ons with these multiplats, they'll see they were gimmicks. The best stuff is built from the ground up in the game design process.

Posted on Nov 28, 2012 5:20:23 AM PST
mdotk says:
Rockstar have even said that there will be no PC version of the game (at least according to here http://www.gta5cheats.com/faq/) - total BS in my opinion!

Posted on Nov 28, 2012 6:28:14 AM PST
Kendahl says:
I have never played any of the Grand Theft games. They just don't seem all that...interesting. But I love Rockstar. Red Dead Redemption is one of my all-time favorites. Should I pick up GTAV? I mean driving around streets and occasionally stopping to rob someone doesn't sound very fun.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  17
Total posts:  30
Initial post:  Nov 14, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 29, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions