Safety Month BOTMKT Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Drowners The best from Bose just got wireless Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks STEM Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro STEM
Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

Navy Seals disciplined for role in Medal of Honor video games

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 40 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2012 5:14:02 PM PST
Exactly.

An Article 15 is basically what they're getting. It's a frakking joke.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2012 5:03:23 PM PST
Harmicky says:
Yes, there are sometimes things that are given incorrect classification labels due to poor diligence, but I assure you that "we" are certainly critically examining what we choose to classify, and to what level. There are continuous times that things are given a looser classification than they may warrant in order to broaden the possible audience.

Posted on Nov 11, 2012 5:00:13 PM PST
Harmicky says:
Having some extensive experience in this community, I'd like to make a few points here:

- There is no military unit called SEAL Team 6, ST6, etc. The unit in question is Naval Special Warfare Development Group (NSWDG or DEVGRU). Although the media insists on continuing to refer to NSWDG as ST6, ST6 was disbanded in 1987.

- If anyone is feeling bad for these SEALs, don't. The punishment they received (a letter of reprimand and two months reduction in pay) is a very light slap on the wrist. Divulging classified information is treason, and is typically punished by life in prison, although death is still possible. Service men and women are commonly punished much more severely than these guys were just for going out and getting a drunk in public charge.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2012 3:38:30 PM PST
c--kuta says:
We do have people whose job is to decide what is classified to which level or merely fouo. The worker however should never decide for himself.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2012 3:35:18 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 11, 2012 4:49:03 PM PST
Yes. The government absolutely over-classifies stuff. While we can debate the implications of this Re: freedom of information all day, the fact remains that these SEALS are simply wrong.

That said, these people are in the part of the military that is absolutely the most dependent on operational security. If they can't follow OPSEC, they should not be in any SOCOM unit.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2012 3:11:12 PM PST
Donkey Punch says:
I agree with you 100%.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2012 2:53:50 PM PST
DVvM says:
It is certainly arguable that the fact that virtually anything and everything gets classified just in case has lead to a depreciation of the actual meaning of the "classified" designation.

So while sharing classified information is certainly something soldiers should never do, we should critically examine what we choose to classify.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2012 2:48:25 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 11, 2012 2:49:13 PM PST
Donkey Punch says:
I don't find any of it funny. Giving classified information to help make a video game is jackassery and they deserve what punishment they get.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2012 12:58:37 PM PST
DVvM says:
Is that funny?

I would think though SEAL training is extensive and in depth, it doesn't really cover "video game design and development" being that it's more or less irrelevant to their jobs.

Posted on Nov 11, 2012 12:46:41 PM PST
who is AEK says:
Funny how MOH: Warfighter gets low scores and SEALS are disciplined for sharing too much with the developers..........

Posted on Nov 10, 2012 2:40:01 PM PST
Did someone say cookies?...

Posted on Nov 10, 2012 2:24:39 PM PST
Modern Bear says:
Someone stole my sandwich once. I went on the Internet and gave them a stern talking to about it.

P.S. obligatory lol

Posted on Nov 10, 2012 2:15:24 PM PST
c--kuta says:
Obama discussed tactics or equipment we use with the general public?

ST6 has unique gear. These guys have TS clearance and they know it is not for them to decide what they can discuss. Even seemingly small things such as the rounds they use.

Posted on Nov 10, 2012 1:22:12 PM PST
Plus it seems counterproductive to approve an extremely risky op to kill a hated terrorist leader and then not tell anybody. You're right about one thing, though, Obama should learn that the only thing that matters in a military operation is the tactical ground element. That's why "The Art of War" never gained popularity as a military treatise. /sarcasm (if you need that to be said...I hope you don't)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 10, 2012 1:12:29 PM PST
I agree that using such things for publicity is wrong. It's wrong when Obama does it, it was wrong when Bush did it, it is wrong when individual soldiers do it.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 10, 2012 1:10:52 PM PST
Obama, as the C-in-C, has every right to decide what is and is not classified. The SEALS, however, do not.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 10, 2012 1:04:34 PM PST
Anthony says:
as opposed to when Obama did it for good PR?

both the SEALS and Obama when he did it were wrong to do it.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 10, 2012 1:02:39 PM PST
Heh, you "stole" his post that was a C&P of a website's article.

Posted on Nov 10, 2012 1:00:15 PM PST
OPSEC, you goddamned sellouts.

Posted on Nov 10, 2012 12:28:24 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Nov 10, 2012 12:28:39 PM PST]

Posted on Nov 10, 2012 12:25:52 PM PST
GUEST!! says:
The smiley face really adds to the creepiness of the statement. Hah.

Posted on Nov 10, 2012 12:23:04 PM PST
"You're in a safe environment. No one will judge you."

I won't judge you, but I assure you that you're not safe :)

<sounds of scraping instruments>

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 10, 2012 12:11:30 PM PST
GUEST!! says:
All we can do is circle him slowly on the updrafts and show him the door. He has to open it.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 10, 2012 12:09:38 PM PST
Or among anonymous people on the interweb who circle posters like vultures, looking for a sign of weakness. I guess that could be synonymous with friends.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 10, 2012 12:02:07 PM PST
GUEST!! says:
You're in a safe environment. No one will judge you. We just want to see you healed and we can't do that until you just admit that you have a problem. C'mon, little buddy. You're among friends.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Video Games forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
OT: What Are You Listening To-2016 Version! 1286 1 minute ago
2-Years of Playstation Plus $65! 33 14 minutes ago
PSN flash sale incoming today 75 16 minutes ago
OT: I upgraded from iPhone to Galaxy and I'm so glad I did 93 22 minutes ago
Steam sale: Whadya bouyin'? 62 2 hours ago
Rumor: Activision bringing Marvel Ultimate Alliance 1 and 2, and Transformers: Fall of Cybertron to PS4 according to Taiwan ratings board 3 3 hours ago
On the Kinsey scale of 1(lowest) to 6(highest), how Gay are you? 7 4 hours ago
OT: Conservatives Hurt the Economy Once Again: Global stocks tumble after Britain votes to leave the EU 14 4 hours ago
Need a new HDMI cord? Amazon is having a great sale right now. 3 4 hours ago
The M M Romance forum is on Amazon's most active community forums list, but the F F Romance forum is not 2 5 hours ago
Why ReCore is a $40 Game 45 5 hours ago
Nintendo NX - Might Actually Go Back to Cartridges? 73 5 hours ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  14
Total posts:  40
Initial post:  Nov 10, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 11, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions