Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

OT: Oscar Nominees

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 25 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 16, 2013 6:24:38 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 16, 2013 6:25:23 AM PST
Junkiiiii says:
So I saw the first of the best pictures. I try to catch all of the nominees that I am interested in. This is a good year where there are a lot of movies on the list that I actually want to see.

My first one was Argo. Affleck has definitely proven himself as a director. This thriller had me on the edge of my seat for most of the movie. Only being 4 at the time this actually happened I wasn't too familiar with the story since it isn't something that is covered often.

*****minor spoiler******
Love how at the end they show photographs of actual events and how close they mirrored it in the movie. Some of the actors portrayal of the real person was uncanny.
******end minor spoiler*******

So what are you excited for? Up next, Silver Linnigs Playbook. I've been interested in this movie for a while being a Philly native and all. Good to see hometown boy Bradley Cooper getting the nod. And I finally get to see Robert DeNiro in a good film again.

Posted on Jan 16, 2013 6:35:27 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 16, 2013 6:45:26 AM PST
I'm looking for Les Mis FTW (Best Picture)!!! I loved the Musical on stage and the film version looks every bit as gorgeous!!!...Huge Jackman for Best Actor award!!! Best Actress...I'll go with "the PoPular" vote...Jessica Chastain for "ZDT"...Best Director...Spielberg for "Lincoln"!!!

Posted on Jan 16, 2013 6:36:36 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 16, 2013 6:36:49 AM PST
MrFoxhound says:
" I've been interested in this movie for a while being a Philly native and all"

Ha! Me too, but it looks like a chick flick.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013 6:40:00 AM PST
Kirksplosion says:
Yeah, most of the best pictures noms are movies I've been wanting to see. Main ones are Beasts of the Southern Wild, Life of Pi, Argo, and Lincoln.

Posted on Jan 16, 2013 6:48:24 AM PST
Oskar2525 says:
I think the nominations are terrible. It just goes to show that the Academy Awards are all about marketing and not about the art of filmmaking.
I really don't care who wins as long as it isn't Spielberg.

Posted on Jan 16, 2013 6:50:39 AM PST
Argo: Awesome. A bit too Hollywood at the end (that car/plane chase never happened), but it was fantastic.
Silver Linings Playbook: Not good. Great performances, bad script. Was it a drama trying to be too light, or a comedy trying to be too dark? Either way, they failed - the ending was far too perfect for either genre.
Les Mis: Stick to Broadway. The problem is that Les Mis is, boiled down, a terrible story. A romance that is even less believable than Romeo and Juliet falling for each other? The protagonist inexplicably dying with no explanation or lead up? There are three good songs - the rest is, IMO, garbage. France is stupid.
Lincoln: Excellent, but the first 1/3 of the movie suffers from "hey, it's ______ from that one show/movie!" syndrome. Not Spielberg's best job, but possibly Daniel Day Lewis' best.

Haven't seen the rest - I'm looking forward to Zero Dark Thirty.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013 6:50:59 AM PST
Oskar2525 says:
"chick flick" is a sexist term. Usually when people use this term they are referring to romantic comedies, of which Silver Linings Playbook is not.
It is a pretty interesting movie that deals with mental illness and how to overcome large obstacles in life.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013 6:53:08 AM PST
Gone Baby Gone and The Town were also pretty solid.

...and Alfeck was the bomb in Phantoms.

Posted on Jan 16, 2013 6:53:34 AM PST
new Tron says:
Tarantino, Kathryn Bigelow, and Ben Afflek all got snubbed for the Best Director award. Having seen the three movies these folks directed, I honestly do not understand how that happened.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013 6:54:00 AM PST
Soulshine says:
Silver Linings Playbook was way better than it should have been. I saw it with my cousins and was fully expecting a cheesy chick flick. It's better than that - I mean I had low expectations and it's a little bit predictable, but totally worth a redbox rental.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013 6:55:20 AM PST
Sooo whatchu got against Lincoln Edward!!!

Posted on Jan 16, 2013 6:56:33 AM PST
new Tron says:
Lincoln was a phenomenal movie. Easily the best thing Spielberg has done in a very, very long time.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013 6:57:09 AM PST
In a way I find the Romeo and Juliet romance believable in a F-ed up way. As it's been said, it's a 3 day relationship between a 13 year old and a 17 year old that caused 6 deaths and if I saw that on the news it would in no way surprise me.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013 6:58:20 AM PST
Oskar2525 says:
I think that Spielberg is one of the most overrated directors of all time. He has done nothing to further the art of filmmaking and has even held it back in some respects.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013 6:59:38 AM PST
Oskar2525 says:
Easy, these awards are about marketing and the nominations go to those with the biggest pocket books.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013 7:01:18 AM PST
Wait, really? I'm looking this up.

WTF it's true.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013 7:03:10 AM PST
Lincoln wasn't actually a very Spielberg of a Spielberg movie. I would definitely change the best picture and best director nominees if it were upto me but Lincoln and Spielberg would get to stay.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013 7:07:58 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 16, 2013 7:09:00 AM PST
You know it's all "political" and a part 0 the "old boys club" in Hollywood!!! winks*

Posted on Jan 16, 2013 7:10:43 AM PST
I would think...with Affleck getting Best Director Awards so far at all the award ceremonies...that the Academy would be Sooo embarrassed for the snub!!!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013 7:11:41 AM PST
Junkiiiii says:
Loved those two other films.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013 7:12:32 AM PST
Junkiiiii says:
Agreed. This is why the whole let's nominated up to ten movies for best picture but let's only have five nominations for best director make no sense.

Posted on Jan 16, 2013 7:14:12 AM PST
Voice of god says:
Magic Mike was ROBBED!!!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013 7:14:28 AM PST
Oskar2525 says:
It makes sense if you look at it from a marketing stand point. Best Picture nominations usually get a pretty big boost at the box office, and some even return to theaters after they are nominated.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013 7:15:03 AM PST
GUEST!! says:
Oskar guarantee?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013 8:21:31 AM PST
"Easy, these awards are about marketing and the nominations go to those with the biggest pocket books."

I don't quite agree. Look at last year (The Artist, $44m gross). Or two years ago (The Hurt Locker, $17m). It's not really about marketing, it's more about Inside Hollywood patting Inside Hollywood on the back. It's self-importance all the same though, I guess.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  11
Total posts:  25
Initial post:  Jan 16, 2013
Latest post:  Jan 16, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions