Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

Do you think the PS3's poor performance will affect PS4 sales?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 26-50 of 68 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2012 1:20:22 PM PST
Mallrat says:
Hard to argue that.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2012 1:20:24 PM PST
Lucanus says:
Oh I see. I have to agree. If anything this generation proved there is plenty of room for all three consoles. Personally I enjoyed all of them. :)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2012 1:24:08 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 20, 2012 1:25:21 PM PST
Lucanus says:
Sales are bit misleading over time. Don't get me wrong, the ps3 is fantastic and a success. But comparing sales over time isn't fair. The number of people who went to the theater for Gone with the Wind is small compared to even the average movie now. The population has grown significantly and media market in particular has sky rocketed thanks to technology gains. The ps3 outselling stuff like the SNES, NES, Genesis, Master System, etc is to be expected based on market growth. I tried explaining this concept to somebody who said Obama has spent more than all the other past Presidents combined... it isn't a fair comparision because of inflation issues, of course Lincoln didn't spend much compared to Obama, back then an entire cow was $0.50. The ps3 selling the 4th most is a misleading stat, systems today have a much larger base compared to older system. :)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2012 1:27:13 PM PST
Half? PS2 sold 103.69mil units in 6yrs vs 70mil in the same time frame for the PS3. a decrease, yes, half? not even close. Try again

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2012 1:29:51 PM PST
Regardless.
The PS3 overtaking the 360 in worldwide sales is not a matter of "if", but a matter of "when"

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2012 1:30:27 PM PST
uncledonnie3 says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2012 1:32:33 PM PST
A number only eclipsed by the number of people that don't give a shit.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2012 1:33:08 PM PST
Lucanus says:
I see two certainties with sales;

1) the ps3 will absolutely eventually over take the 360 in sales. It really is just a matter of time. But neither will match the Wii.

2) the 3DS will outsell the Vita this generation.

Either way, who cares? As you so accurately pointed out, everything is doing well enough to be considered a success. :)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2012 1:34:52 PM PST
The 8 million unit lead the 360 had when the PS3 launched has now been chipped away to just above 1.5 million.
PS3 outsold the 360 everywhere but the US during Halo 4's launch week.

Numbers don't lie.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2012 1:35:27 PM PST
JWK says:
Lol. You're right though. I'd never heard people argue over the superiority of a console based on worldwide sales until joining the VGF, and I've posted on a few other video game boards. And even here, it's a very, very vocal minority that thinks sales impact how much fun they have while gaming. It's never made sense to me.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2012 1:36:29 PM PST
Don't go to the VGChartz forums, you'll want to murder everyone around you.

Posted on Nov 20, 2012 1:37:46 PM PST
Waldo says:
@ Punk, yeah for reals! Xbot's are the WORSE though for sure! It's like every other day and or week!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2012 1:38:52 PM PST
Lucanus says:
Worse than that, people actually argue over sales in order to determine who is 2nd, as if that matters. :)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2012 1:40:14 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 20, 2012 1:41:52 PM PST
M. says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2012 1:41:51 PM PST
Not for MS and Sony it isn't

Posted on Nov 20, 2012 1:41:54 PM PST
Waldo says:
M. & Holli must share the same mentally challenged brain!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2012 1:44:58 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 20, 2012 1:45:25 PM PST
The things, this doesn't actually matter at all.

Console sales matter at the beginning of the generation, not at the end. You want to sell a lot initially in order to develop a large install base to make third party developers pay attention to you. Sony didn't really need to do this since they were the market leader coming in so third parties automatically paid attention to them. MS however, did, and they succeeded in selling almost 3 times as many 360s as Xboxes and as a result third parties (particularly ones who wanted to sell stuff in America) needed to pay attention to them.

But after about 2008-2009, it was pretty clear that nearly all third party games of significance would be available on both the 360 and the PS3 (those that weren't were generally just games targeting a niche audience that didn't have the budget to port). So which console sold more ceased to matter except in the hearts and minds of weird fanthings.

The whole "sell well out of the gate to get third parties to pay attention to you" is precisely what the Vita is failing to do.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2012 1:47:02 PM PST
I'm pretty sure that every single console sold matters to MS, Microsoft or Nintendo, regardless the date the purchase was made.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2012 1:52:38 PM PST
Lucanus says:
I am pretty sure McDonalds cares about every single burger they sell, but why should I let that affect my eating habits?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2012 1:53:48 PM PST
Who's saying it should?

Posted on Nov 20, 2012 1:55:50 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 20, 2012 1:57:11 PM PST
I haven't been here for a while (1-2 years I think), and it's interesting to see the same people posting the same arguments. It's like coming home. :-)

I've been out of the loop for a while, but I'll say this: whoever "won" the gen, and however many consoles were sold, I still enjoy playing both the PS3 and the 360. Hell, I even bought a used Wii at a yardsale for the hell of it, and it has its place now and then.

Serious question (I *really* haven't been paying attention): are the new Microsoft and Sony consoles set to release soon (2013), or are they both still a ways off?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2012 1:55:51 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 20, 2012 1:58:08 PM PST
M. says:

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2012 1:57:39 PM PST
No. The new generation started for nintendo. It hasn't ended for MS or Sony.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2012 1:57:43 PM PST
Lucanus says:
I get the impression that those who constantly debate who is in second think it matters.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2012 1:59:07 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 20, 2012 2:00:00 PM PST
Lucanus says:
Most indications have MS at 2013, while Sony is having mixed reports with half saying 2013 and the other 2014. I would expect 2013 to be the last year of great support when it comes to the ps3/360. The generation is on the way out. Personally I fully expect both to launch in 2013, especially if the U sells well. :)
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  19
Total posts:  68
Initial post:  Nov 20, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 20, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions