Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

Dark Souls again, lol...SPOILERS!

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 326-350 of 822 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 8:21:49 AM PST
SMH says:
That's the best part of the game. Like you, I didn't play with a wiki, so I just decided to go a direction and see what happened. Since there is very little story, what kept me going was the drive to be able to kill the next enemy and also see what the rest of the world map looked like.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 8:35:38 AM PST
I actually have both those items so +1 to successful suicide runs. At the start of the game (take two, I restarted the game shortly after ringing the first bell since I had spread my stats all over the place) I just ran out in every direction now that I was familiar with the bonfire system and you aren't punished much for exploring.

I actually didn't do that bad for myself in terms of finding weapons. But now I have a drake sword which seems to be the best thing I am carrying, at least until I get better stats and upgrade a weapon.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 8:40:38 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 20, 2012 8:41:11 AM PST
MrFoxhound says:
Did you get the Gargoyle Axe from the Bell Gargoyle? It's a random drop, but it's my favorite NG weapon. Especially later when you apply lightning to it, it becomes pretty unstoppable for the entire game.

The Drake Sword is cool, but to upgrade it you need Dragon Scales, which are really rare and 10k souls.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 8:44:16 AM PST
In this attempt I haven't actually gone to the Bell Tower yet. I didn't get it the first time but with this attempt I'm gonna see if it is like the Drake on the bridge and I have to attack his tail to cut it off.

While I've upped my strength to hold the drake sword (I was debating not doing that but I also had a shield that required 16 strength) I think I might focus on dex for this build so I need to find a weapon that works well with that. I might regret that choice but I've already put in too many points to back off now.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 8:45:00 AM PST
Chris... says:
I can't explain it either. This game completely consumed my world and my every thought. There was a point where I was even dreaming about the game. I don't what it is but I get genre/game fatigue very fast and I'm barely even able to complete most games these days. The Souls games have been the only exception. I can't quite put my finger on it but I know I'm not alone. This games does this to many people I know.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 8:48:54 AM PST
MrFoxhound says:
Sorry, I meant the Gargoyle's Halberd which is a random drop. If you take his tail you get the Gargoyle Axe which is a very weird weapon that bends like a whip (or a tail).

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 8:53:01 AM PST
I try to constantly mix up what kind of game I'm getting and not afraid to skip a title or two in a series. Like I love Assassin's Creed 2 but I think I'd start to hate on the series if I had tried to keep up and play Brotherhood, Revalations, and AC3.

I also try to really limit FPS games. I love them when I play them but because there are so many I have to purposely space them out. So far this gen I only have played COD4, Borderlands, and (these might not count) Skyrim and Portal 1/2.

Luckily for the Soul series I don't see any other games trying to even touch what they Fromsoftware does so we will always have at least a few years between games like Dark Souls.

Posted on Dec 20, 2012 8:55:16 AM PST
man i loved sens fortress and the crazy guy with the onion helmet. it was reminding me of myself, it doesnt open, is it open? no it isnt open. he is so awesome, damn they did a great job making that game. man i love that character, probably the coolest useless character ever in a game.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 9:01:09 AM PST
MrFoxhound says:
He's not useless. He has a story arc that opens up if you fulfill certain requirements, not to mention that he gives you something when you get back to Firelink shrine after Anor Londo.

Posted on Dec 20, 2012 9:05:20 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 20, 2012 9:05:50 AM PST
Chris... says:
I think there are three things you can end up getting from the Onion Knight, as well as another thing you can get from his daughter.

Protip: There is no such thing as a useless NPC in Dark Souls.

Posted on Dec 20, 2012 9:06:08 AM PST
SMH says:
I accidentally attacked the dude outside Sen's and was forced to kill him, so I never got whatever his reward was.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 9:06:45 AM PST
My greatest problem with NPCs is that I always wonder what I might get if I kill them but might I be shooting myself in the foot if I do.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 9:08:19 AM PST
MrFoxhound says:
Well, the guy sitting next to the bonfire at Firelink is pretty useless.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 9:09:18 AM PST
If it wasn't for him how would I ever know there were TWO bells.

TWO!!!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 9:12:26 AM PST
Chris... says:
Yeah you got me on that one.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 9:14:59 AM PST
Chris... says:
I think what they give you is always better than what they drop upon death, with the only exception being the undead merchant that drops the Uchigatana. If you kill him too early in the game though you won't have access to another merchant for a while. From was masterful in how they make you weigh every decision.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 9:24:17 AM PST
Yeah, that was handy.

"So, there's 2? Is that all you've got?"

*R2* to the face

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 9:51:49 AM PST
Yeah he can pretty easily one shot you, even later in the game. I noticed Dark Souls has a lot of hard checks for skill. Capra to me is a hard check in how you handle groups, they sort of force you to learn how to handle 3 mobs all at once (though I think they went a little too cheap with Capra). Havel to me is the backstab test. If you're not great at backstabs yet he can be kind of a pain, but once you get decent at them, you can pretty easily chain backstab him into oblivion.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 9:58:12 AM PST
This is one of those games where after you learn all the skills you realize it isn't quite as stat/equipment reliant as you first thought. I bet I could take on Havel right from the start now and those Black Knights are a pushover once you have a halfway decent shield.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 10:17:21 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 20, 2012 10:18:38 AM PST
Honestly the Black Knights are a pushover after Anor Londo. The Silver Knights are basically the exact same thing. Generally now when I start a new character I take out Havel right away and take out all the Black Knights on my way.

The ONLY one that gives me trouble is that annoying Black Knight on the tower near the Boar fight. He can usually 1-2 shot me that early still and you have soooooo little room to fight him. He'll take me out every now and then.

Edit: The most annoying part is I always end up getting a Black Knight weapon on those guys UNLESS I'm running a strength build, then of course I'll get a shield or nothing. I swear the game trolls you on purpose sometimes.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 10:32:44 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 20, 2012 10:33:25 AM PST
MrFoxhound says:
I still can't drop the Black Knight in the Undead Burg at the beginning of the game.

@ RB: I always pull that Black Knight down the stairs and fight him outside of the tower.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 10:34:58 AM PST
I was cheap with that one, lured him to where I went up on a roof and threw fire at him till he died.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 10:38:12 AM PST
Sars says:
If you have the target shield they are very easy to parry.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 10:39:54 AM PST
MrFoxhound says:
I usually start as the guy who has the Spider Shield to make Blighttown easier.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 10:49:44 AM PST
Sars says:
yeah i start off with that person alot when i go strenth build, but i dont go through blightstown to big of a pain
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  31
Total posts:  822
Initial post:  Dec 9, 2012
Latest post:  Apr 7, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions