Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

Dad hacks Windwaker for his daughter

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 26-50 of 78 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 10:03:16 AM PST
Mel says:
haha, we are assuming he already does that stuff and that he is better than you. We won't know for sure without a psych eval ;)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 10:12:00 AM PST
Mel says:
Saints Row comes to mind. That girl needs to know what true heroes are.

Posted on Nov 14, 2012 10:16:53 AM PST
K Archer says:
I played a lot of RPGs and other games where either you could choose the gender of your character, or games where your character's gender does not matter when I was little. Actually, I still do; I prefer to play games where I am the focus; just a preference.

I generally don't care about the gender of the main character in games that have it set; I generally don't play games where it really matters, so why bother focusing on it? I do chose to be female whenever I have the option, though, mostly because its a comfort thing.

I do think this father is being a good dad; there is a huge lack of games with story little girls can play and get that feeling that they can do anything; there do need to be more T/E rated games where the PC is a girl, or can be chosen to be a girl. Too many male leads in this type of game can give the impression that girls can't be heroes (especially with so many girls being put into the "need to be rescued" roles in these game...) As for books and TV...you're not putting yourself as the protagonist; you're reading/watching the story of someone else. But even then...there are so many choices that finding a good book/movie with a strong female lead is still easy.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 10:22:26 AM PST
DVvM says:
I think the rule of thumb ought to be that if you want to tell a story in which the gender of the protagonist is relevant (and even sometimes when the specific personality of the character is relevant) then feel free to make your character something in particular.

But when your character's gender, ethnicity, etc. is irrelevant to the plot, let people choose what they're playing as.

Like, for example, Dishonored. Throughout the entire game Corvo never speaks and you never see his face. Is there a good reason you couldn't have let him be a her if the player wanted it?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 10:36:03 AM PST
KrisCo says:
Super Princess Peach

He should buy that then.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 10:38:18 AM PST
DVvM says:
That game is pretty good, but all told it's kind of subtly offensive. Since Peach has special powers through her emotions. She doesn't eat mushrooms or put on capes or eat flowers to get special powers, you see Peach has special powers because she feels stuff, because she's a chick.

In the grand scheme of things it's not that important, but it's sort of unnerving.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 10:44:12 AM PST
What about Devil May Cry series? That chick kicks a lot of butt.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 10:44:12 AM PST
KrisCo says:
Metroid: Other M

She feels stuff, because Samus is a chick. :P

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 10:48:50 AM PST
DVvM says:
I think what I'm learning here is that I don't really trust Japanese game companies with female protagonists.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 10:54:05 AM PST
Bobbum Man says:
Because *spoilers*

Isn't Corvo the father of the child?

But I get what you're saying.

Posted on Nov 14, 2012 11:03:37 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 14, 2012 11:07:04 AM PST
"I think what I'm learning here is that I don't really trust Japanese game companies with female protagonists."

A wise policy. Although after reading your post I've come to the revelation that Mario isn't really much of a hero, he's just a guy who crammed strange flora into his mouth and got lucky. In another world Mario would probably be in Mushroom Kingdom ER watching his liver being disolved by amatoxins while being wracked by seizures. Maybe the Princess is a little touchy-feely, but at least she doesn't advocate the dubious consumption of xenofungi!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 11:09:08 AM PST
I'm sure Peach experimented in college.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 11:13:11 AM PST
Posting spoilers to a game that isn't even a few months old... C'mon man...

Posted on Nov 14, 2012 11:13:30 AM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Nov 14, 2012 11:27:20 AM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 11:15:09 AM PST
McAwesomeo says:
Implied but not expressly stated, I think.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 11:15:17 AM PST
See.... Metroid is the outlier. Most of the time, women ARE shown to be incapable or merely sexual objects even if they can defend for themselves. It's been like that in video games since forever, really.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 11:16:06 AM PST
"In Japan, men come first, women come second."

-Tiger Tanaka

Posted on Nov 14, 2012 11:17:57 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 14, 2012 11:27:44 AM PST
K Archer says:
Seriously, how many games that kids can/will generally play have a female lead? How many have a male lead?

Heck, even if you broaden the search to ALL games with a static PC, how many are female?

EDIT: Just for me, I can think of 5 in the "all games" category: Metroid, No One Lives Forever, Bayonetta, Heavenly Sword, and Tomb Raider. I'm sure there's others, but I can't think of them right now.
Doesn't count games where you chose the gender, have set options or control multiple characters.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 11:18:18 AM PST
In the early days yes... Woman are being shown as more and more capable these days... Granted, there are still cases where they are more eye candy than hero... But it is trending in the opposite direction...

Just look at Lara Croft... The prime example of a video game sex symbol... I think the reboot is really trying to make her more realistic and grittier...

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 11:19:07 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 14, 2012 11:20:21 AM PST
You're right it's not saying that women are incapable. However this is a genre where it is rare that women are portrayed as capable, even rarer that they are capable and not sexualized, and even rarer than both those that they are also a playable character.

Oh and to top it all off pick a game that isn't rated M so it can be played by these youths we're talking about.

Posted on Nov 14, 2012 11:20:07 AM PST
I wish I could find my old Game Player magazines. There was a letter in one issue complaining about the portrayal of women in video games. The editors then pulled up a picture of a character in a chain mail bikini and explained the benefits of such an outfit. Tongue-in-cheek, of course, but pretty damning.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 11:22:23 AM PST
Yeah, because people are starting to justly be uncomfortable with the idea of women being portrayed as "Help me, Mario!" or a heroine in the chain mail bikini. Heck, wasn't Lara Croft born because the guys at Core were like "Well, if you're gonna be starting at someone's ass while playing a game, might as well be a woman's!" or something like that?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 11:30:59 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 14, 2012 11:31:26 AM PST
K Archer says:
Probably. At the very least, I wouldn't be surprised if it was that. Heck, I know a lot of guys that choose female toons in third-person games for that reason.

I think its more that female gamers make up a reasonable percentage of gamers now (I estimate less then 20% still, but its impossible to know...at least in the games I play, I rarely see another woman. This also doesn't mean guys are more accepting of us, but completely trashing them at their own game is too much fun.) that the change is happening.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 11:33:32 AM PST
Might have been... As I said, you can see how they are trying to change the character... They are making her more realistic physically... I think things are moving in the right direction...

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 11:38:49 AM PST
Yeah, for sure, but they're really not moving that fast either, y'know? There's also the other side of the coin that other games are moving in the other directions. Did you play the Conan game from this gen? I really enjoyed the game, though I seem to be the only one who did, but Conan has to rescue topless women chained to rocks and when they're freed, they'll yell "CRUSH ME WITH YOUR LOVE." It makes sense in Conan's world, for sure, but it wasn't that long ago when something like that wouldn't have ever shown up in a video game either.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  28
Total posts:  78
Initial post:  Nov 8, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 14, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions