Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

U.S. Senator Proposes Banning "Grand Theft Auto V" in The Wake of Sandy Hook Tragedy

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 26-50 of 100 posts in this discussion
Posted on Dec 22, 2012 6:42:12 PM PST
We have no gamez cause Big Brother took them away...

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 22, 2012 6:45:51 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 22, 2012 6:47:27 PM PST
K Archer says:
What? Making a person (in)famous is going to deter the psychos looking to go out in a blaze of glory from copying?

The media and their insane coverage is a major part of the problem. If these psychos were not kept in the minds of people, not given fame for their terrible deeds, others would not try to outdo them; they'd probably just shoot themselves and be done with it. Watch; in the future it won't be guns, it'll be a homemade bomb that levels an entire section of a school, killing everyone inside the area. And it'll keep getting worse and worse the more the media shove it down our throats.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 22, 2012 6:54:39 PM PST
I think you're misunderstanding what I'm saying. No worries.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 22, 2012 6:56:30 PM PST
I never said it was noble. And there's a difference between "armed guards" and "police" in schools. I take no issue with the latter. Private armed security? Yeah, that shouldn't be in our schools. As a matter of fact, until the NRA said this, most of the country never took an issue with it, either. This argument that a cop in schools is some horrible thing is coming from people who also argue that cops are the only ones who should have access to certain guns. It's schizophrenic.

Would a police officer stop a shooter? Maybe. Maybe not. If a city wants to put a cop in a school, they should not be prevented from doing so. If a city does not want to, they should not be forced to.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 22, 2012 6:57:21 PM PST
That always happens after tragedies with a lot of people dead. The tragedies still happen.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 22, 2012 6:59:00 PM PST
Except he didn't say "police". They actually want to put plans in place to have a private security force. Not cops.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 22, 2012 6:59:30 PM PST
No doubt. This one has to be different is what I'm saying.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 22, 2012 7:03:25 PM PST
Sorry, I only listened to news reports of it and never heard the actual sound clip.

Okay, then I retract what I said about this being an okay thing for the NRA to say (they have the right to say it, obviously...I'm sure you know what I mean).

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 22, 2012 7:04:24 PM PST
K Archer says:
I honestly don't know if "most of the country never took an issue with (on-duty, armed cops in school)" I am sure many places, especially "high-end" (for lack of a batter term right now) schools and the people who vote on what's done with them do object to such security; then there are places that are just so police-phobic and gun-phobic that would never allow it either. I've also seen a lot of people comment lately that if their school had anyone (including police) guarding their kids or just better security (bullet-proof glass, metal detectors, better locks on doors, anyone not a student or staff can't be wandering the school, etc) at their school they would take their kids out or move or such. There's a lot of crazy people out there.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 22, 2012 7:04:38 PM PST
It's not going to keep this from happening again just like banning Grand Theft Auto V won't keep this from happening again. However there's a difference between promoting awareness about what happened and pointing fingers in a desperate attempt to find a scapegoat and to continue justifying one's pay check. This man is doing the latter and he's doing an awful job at it as well.

No amount of finger pointing, blaming, or anything like that is going to change what happened or what will happen in the future. Gun control, violent games, and all that aren't to blame here; plain and simple. That shouldn't be the focus of any discussion ever. Do we blame car companies for drunk driving? Or the alcohol companies? What about the person that sold them the drink they had before they got in the car? Of course not so why are we trying to do that here?

That is where I take issue and that's why I actually wrote Joe Manchin on the issue. Banning a game because it features violence goes against freedom of speech and freedom of press. Being someone that has actually served in the military and fought for these freedoms I take huge issue with anyone and everyone who tries to go against them because they think things like video games are to blame for the short comings of one human being (I use that term loosely in this case).

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 22, 2012 7:05:57 PM PST
I agree with everything you typed.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 22, 2012 7:08:14 PM PST
I never heard anyone complain about the cops in schools. But if that is not what the NRA is talking about...then yeah, I see why people are shooting this idea down.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 22, 2012 7:09:53 PM PST
K Archer says:
According to a transcript of the speech I'm using, he said that if schools want security and can't get the police to do it (due to budget woes and crap like that) the NRA will pay for a private security force for them.

Here's the quotes I'm using:

"With all the foreign aid, with all the money in the federal budget, we can't afford to put a police officer in every school? Even if they did that, politicians have no business - and no authority - denying us the right, the ability, or the moral imperative to protect ourselves and our loved ones from harm.

Now, the National Rifle Association knows that there are millions of qualified active and retired police; active, reserve and retired military; security professionals; certified firefighters and rescue personnel; and an extraordinary corps of patriotic, trained qualified citizens to join with local school officials and police in devising a protection plan for every school. We can deploy them to protect our kids now. We can immediately make America's schools safer - relying on the brave men and women of America's police force.

The budget of our local police departments are strained and resources are limited, but their dedication and courage are second to none and they can be deployed right now.

I call on Congress today to act immediately, to appropriate whatever is necessary to put armed police officers in every school - and to do it now, to make sure that blanket of safety is in place when our children return to school in January."

<snip>

"The NRA is going to bring all of its knowledge, dedication and resources to develop a model National School Shield Emergency Response Program for every school that wants it. From armed security to building design and access control to information technology to student and teacher training, this multi-faceted program will be developed by the very best experts in their fields.

Former Congressman Asa Hutchinson will lead this effort as National Director of the National School Shield Program, with a budget provided by the NRA of whatever scope the task requires. His experience as a U.S. Attorney, Director of the Drug Enforcement Agency and Undersecretary of the Department of Homeland Security will give him the knowledge and expertise to hire the most knowledgeable and credentialed experts available anywhere, to get this program up and running from the first day forward.

If we truly cherish our kids more than our money or our celebrities, we must give them the greatest level of protection possible and the security that is only available with a properly trained - armed - good guy.

Under Asa's leadership, our team of security experts will make this the best program in the world for protecting our children at school, and we will make that program available to every school in America free of charge."

Posted on Dec 22, 2012 7:18:01 PM PST
Tl;dr version: More guns.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 22, 2012 7:20:26 PM PST
K Archer says:
TL;DR get police in the schools or we'll give you other security

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 22, 2012 7:22:25 PM PST
Because the NRA is a governing body all of a sudden. This country cracks me up.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 22, 2012 7:24:08 PM PST
K Archer says:
So then, do you have a feasible plan to protect our kids?

Getting police in the schools to be right there should anything bad happen is a very good idea. Why are you do against that? Do you really want to leave schools as undefended places that are huge targets for people who want to go on a killing spree?

Posted on Dec 22, 2012 7:24:21 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 22, 2012 7:29:41 PM PST
DVvM says:
If we can get private security officers who are professional, responsible, duly certified and qualified. I don't see any reason we couldn't have armed private security in a variety of places

The problem is that the "if" is a pretty big if. It's my understanding that the people who go into private security are frequently precisely the people you don't want doing this.

But the qualifications for being a police officer ought to be more stringent than the qualifications for "someone you trust protecting your kids" would be. Since cops are called upon to protect kids and do a lot of other stuff too.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 22, 2012 7:27:04 PM PST
You seem pretty set in your ways so I'm not going to debate you. I said my peace in other threads.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 22, 2012 8:15:02 PM PST
I'm glad we're on the same page with this. I'm all for doing what it takes to keep something like this from happening again but I don't think there is much we can do to stop it. Terrible people will always find a way to do terrible things.

I think this holiday it would be best for all of us to be with friends, family, and loved ones cherishing what we have, giving thanks that we still have those we care about, and keeping those who lost people who didn't deserve to be lost in our hearts.

It's times like these I almost wish I believed in hell just so I could take satisfaction in knowing that Adam is getting all that he deserves and more.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 22, 2012 8:30:04 PM PST
Well said.

Posted on Dec 22, 2012 8:31:58 PM PST
I think cops in schools is one thing...NRA-funded private security though? That makes me uncomfortable, and I believe in the right of people to own "assault rifles."

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 22, 2012 8:33:14 PM PST
DVvM says:
I wish someone would tell me what an assault rifle is.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 22, 2012 8:35:25 PM PST
Hence the quotation marks.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 22, 2012 9:39:08 PM PST
G. Krein says:
everyone knows our government are tards. they need to stay out of it. if they do ban it id just dl a uk version and play.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Active discussions in related forums  

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  33
Total posts:  100
Initial post:  Dec 22, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 30, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions