Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

Wii U CPU is a 'bottleneck,' Digital Foundry concludes

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 51-75 of 109 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2012 7:13:24 AM PST
GarionOrb says:
"CNN: In terms of specs, the Wii is pretty much on par with the Xbox 360 and the PS3..."
"Reggie Fils-Aime: Well first off I have to correct you. The specs are quite different than the competitive systems..."

Reggie can tap dance all he wants...but he should really take a look at Nintendo's website before making this claim. The website specifically states that the specs are "on par" with current consoles. Same words that CNN used. Funny.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2012 7:14:44 AM PST
Lyrick_ says:
Ports will continue in that fashion until there is financial incentive for publishers/developers to alter them. Activision and everyone with even a minimal grasp on the current console economic climate will continue to utilize the 360 as a lead platform for pop culture games due almost solely on install base and consumer purchasing factors.

Trying to judge a consoles overall hardware performance or bottlenecks from ports which are derived from a different architecture is a very foolish way of doing things. All next generation hardware will inevitably speak for itself, but it will only do so when software is built from the ground up on the device just like it has always been.

Until then expect plenty of sloppy ports, just like the beginning of every new console generation.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2012 7:20:26 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 27, 2012 7:21:46 AM PST
got mayo?™ says:
I don't see why Reggie is taking this route of graphical supremacy. By all intents and purposes it is a new, mostly more advanced hardware, but now some media outlets are pegging a 'Reggie falsely claims ...' when all he had to do was point to the unique experiences on the console.

He's out to get those 'hardcore gamers' i suppose, yet the 'snake oil salesman' is not a good look for him though. It turns an otherwise likeable character into a rather creepy one. lol

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2012 7:20:43 AM PST
P. Oyer says:
Zombie grief mode? It is there, but not many people online. Zombies is pretty much all Tranzit, and MP is pretty much all TDM with a little Domination. The rest is mostly empty... System only a week old and all.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2012 7:25:33 AM PST
Lyrick_ says:
He's probably taking that point of view because when software that takes full advantage of The Wii U's architecture, it will outshine the current consoles, just as the PS3 did with the 360.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2012 7:27:45 AM PST
"it will outshine the current consoles, just as the PS3 did with the 360"

So, much of your argument is based on opinion.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2012 7:28:53 AM PST
Is there noticeable lag when the zombie AI is introduced to multiplayer?

I'm just curious if it lags in MP like it does in SP if you're playing zombies.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2012 7:30:34 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 27, 2012 7:34:44 AM PST
got mayo?™ says:
He specifically touted CoD Blops 2 as being better graphically, on national television.

Suggesting 'if you look closely'....that is not 'probably taking that point of view because'....that is plain old snake oil.

Posted on Nov 27, 2012 7:38:47 AM PST
R. Typo says:
I do think that the next consoles from Sony and Microsoft will blow people away right off the bat, mainly because they will be launching with graphic powerhouse franchises most likely.

There is a lot riding on the next consoles as well, if they don't make games look remarkably better, it will be a tougher sell to people, but I don't think that's going to be a worry. We are all going to have melty minds and jaws stuck dropped.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2012 7:40:32 AM PST
P. Oyer says:
I haven't noticed any. I've been the last one up running around with a big train of zombies trying to get a window to reload... no issues.

I've only played half the SP and haven't had issues there yet either.

I've got 5 launch games and the only one I've seen issues in is ME3. Like I said though the port is really iffy but the graphics are stunning.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2012 7:43:30 AM PST
Oskar2525 says:
"Personally the idea of Zelda is HD has me oozing at the mouth."

Do you let your kids see you like this?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2012 7:54:03 AM PST
Lyrick_ says:
If you look closely you can see some minute differences, some in Wii U's Favor, some not so much.

http://images.eurogamer.net/2012/articles//a/1/5/3/0/3/4/9/Wiiu_026.jpg.jpg/EG11/resize/1280x-1 -[WiiU] > notice particle effects in sky and better texturing on rocks to the right

http://images.eurogamer.net/2012/articles//a/1/5/3/0/3/4/9/360_026.jpg.jpg/EG11/resize/1280x-1 -[360]

http://images.eurogamer.net/2012/articles//a/1/5/3/0/3/4/9/Wiiu_030.jpg.jpg/EG11/resize/1280x-1 [WiiU] better sand textures on left

http://images.eurogamer.net/2012/articles//a/1/5/3/0/3/4/9/360_030.jpg.jpg/EG11/resize/1280x-1 [360] better on tank textures on right

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2012 7:55:49 AM PST
Keller says:
You seem to be very interested in my kids. Should I be concerned? Relax my friend and enjoy the wonderful holiday spirit. :)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2012 7:57:32 AM PST
Oskar2525 says:
Seems like you need to enhance your calm and take some of your own holiday spirit medication.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2012 8:00:08 AM PST
R. Typo says:
Yikes! Time to back away from the computer...

Besides, the article was talking about performance in COD being subpar, not necessarily the graphics, which were merely 'on par.'

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2012 8:04:18 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 27, 2012 8:06:39 AM PST
got mayo?™ says:
1080P= 'True HD'

The confusion whether this was truly meant 1080p or 720p as it was marketed by people including Reggie in the months running up to launch has been cleared, with the evidence showing its not even HD at all. ...And has the worse framerate of all versions.

You can see where there is an issue with this pitch:
"I have to correct you. The specs are quite different than the competitor systems. Much more graphically intensive. If you do a side-by-side comparison, you would actually see that third-party games like Call of Duty look DRAMATICALLY better on our system."

I don't doubt to the naked eye it looks the same for all intents and puposes, but that is not what the claims are.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2012 8:05:37 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 27, 2012 8:07:25 AM PST
Keller says:
I didn't realize I was anything but calm. Thanks for the advice, I will consider relaxing a bit. Low stress is good for the body. Thanks again. I have one general request, it would be nice if you'd leave my kids out of this. I find talking about another man's family to be below the belt. Just my 2 cents. I hope you will consider my request and make the right choice. :)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2012 8:08:47 AM PST
Also, just because the resolution is at 1080p does not necessarily mean the textures are in HD. I've had many people say, "Look how great this game looks in HD!" when running low textures on PC...

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2012 8:09:22 AM PST
Lyrick_ says:
Hmm.. The NOA president marketing his new product as superior to his competition.

Quick!! Someone call the fact police.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2012 8:11:13 AM PST
Isn't that what usually happens on the internet? A gaming company states their product is superior to the competition and then the "fact police" jump all over it to prove it inferior?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2012 8:15:26 AM PST
AndrewA says:
My whole point here was you couldn't judge the system based off of launch games. The 360 and ps3 didnt blow people away with their launch games. There hasn't been a game that really launched a system and blew people away since Halo launched the first xbox.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2012 8:20:16 AM PST
Lyrick_ says:
Typically that is the general way of doing things. There are some texture layers that are missing from from 360 version that are present in the Wii U version, so I can see why the marketing went the way it did. Either way the game still looks like a poorly done port of a not exactly spectacular looking title anyway.

Posted on Nov 27, 2012 9:11:14 AM PST
P. Oyer says:
I clicked through the OP link until I got back to the original article. My conclusion after reading is that Digital Foundry's conclusion was concluded to generate more Internet page hits... Because "Wii U CPU is bottleneck" is a better headline than "CoD devs fail to optimize launch game." There isn't even any meat in the article. No stats or facts about the CPU. Only the dumb assumption that since both Wii U and 360 have IBM CPUs the Wii's must be slower...

You know, never mind the fact the current CoD engine was built and optimized for 360. The PS3 can't match it after 5 or 6 yearly releases. The Wii U nailed the graphics on the first go, and the stuff in their comparison videos I've never noticed. It never dips in their videos down to the speeds most shooters max at. The whole thing screams engine optimization to me, not hardware issues.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2012 9:21:45 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 27, 2012 9:22:49 AM PST
got mayo?™ says:
It was Shacknews that sensationalized : 'Wii U CPU is bottleneck'

DF:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-black-ops-2-wii-u-face-off

"Can COD transition onto Wii U? Digital Foundry assesses Treyarch's debut offering for the new console.

The COD experience fails to impress on Nintendo's new hardware.

"So let's recap. What we know of the Wii U spec strongly suggests that the new Nintendo machine should be something along the lines of an enhanced Xbox 360. We have a tri-core IBM CPU, an improved, more modern AMD Radeon graphics core, twice as much RAM available to developers and we even see a substantial boost in the volume of fast eDRAM directly attached to the GPU. There are trade-offs in any console design, but the key ingredients suggest that 360 ports should transition across to the new hardware fairly easily. Unfortunately, Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 proves that the situation is not quite so straightforward." .......

Posted on Nov 27, 2012 9:43:36 AM PST
Keller says:
"What we know of the Wii U spec strongly suggests that the new Nintendo machine should be something along the lines of an enhanced Xbox 360. "

Wow, considering how graphic Skyrim, Halo 4, Gears 3, etc are on the 360... can't wait to see Metroid, 3D Mario and Zelda. :)
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  26
Total posts:  109
Initial post:  Nov 26, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 28, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions