Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

Let's be honest with ourselves: Video Games ARE violent.

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 101-122 of 122 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 10:30:00 AM PST
Well.. the bible is probably a bad example... millions die due to religion.

And southpark... they are freakin geniuses!

Allied Athiest Allegiance only makes sense.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 10:32:56 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 19, 2012 10:35:32 AM PST
"It seems like the people you associate with have college educations which means they came from a little money or received scholarships or finanical aide and probably went to better schools or had good parents who moderated that stuff."

You've now taken the blame off of the genre type and instead placed it exactly where it belongs - The living conditions and social pressures of each individual. You can't say that a certain genre is the main culprit when its level of influence depends solely upon the living environment of every individual.

...See what I did there?

Posted on Dec 19, 2012 10:33:15 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 19, 2012 10:33:47 AM PST
This makes me feel so old...

Maybe it's just because I have the perspective of someone who injests a lot of media, but clearly conflict is essential for games to be exciting and violence is the most engaging and functional form of conflict when it comes to game design. Sure, there are plenty of times when a good verbal joust can be just as exciting, but that kind of exchange is better suited to movies and books. Maybe Argument Simulator 2013?

The silly thing about any of this is that the roots of the violence in video games, or movies, or whatever is generally literature or actual human experiences. People want to experience Odysseus stabbing Polyphemus in his eye, so we get Kratos. People want to storm the beaches at Normandy, so we get Call of Duty.

It's all connected. There is no "video game violence" there is only violence. It's both funny and a little pathetic that people would seek to divorce themselves from such a fundamental truth of our existence. You can't run or hide or ban it away. The only answer is to learn from it all. The monsters are scariest in the dark, after all. The best tools we have for learning is our stories: told in movies, in books, in song, and in games. Fear is, as always, the foe of understanding.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 10:34:07 AM PST
Pretty Lady says:
I never said the media was the only blame. I said, it was the main blame.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 10:34:33 AM PST
You actually didn't as I've just demonstrated.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 10:36:28 AM PST
There's a series of articles on PC Gamer in which someone tries a bunch of mostly nonviolent simulation games.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 10:37:01 AM PST
Pretty Lady says:
I agree that people are attracted to violence and people want to experience violence in their everyday lives which is why they seek out violence in video games, movies, books, songs, etc.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 10:39:16 AM PST
FOGE says:
Where are you from?? and what college did you attend?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 10:45:15 AM PST
Watcher says:
LMFAO!!!!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 10:47:27 AM PST
Pretty Lady says:
Why does that matter?

Posted on Dec 19, 2012 10:48:10 AM PST
Banner says:
Someone brought up how our country a has strange dichotomy that's it's okay to depict a person being shot in the head but not nudity.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 10:49:48 AM PST
gasp!!!!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 10:50:02 AM PST
Banner says:
But there's nothing to be said for the simulation? Psychologically speaking.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 10:58:01 AM PST
In my personal experience, the simulation of violence only had an effect on me when I could equate that violence to something real and personal.

The simulation of never-experienced violent things (in effect, things that are fantasy for the person playing the simulation) probably rarely, if ever, have a similar effect.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 11:00:37 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 19, 2012 11:39:41 AM PST
"There's a series of articles on PC Gamer in which someone tries a bunch of mostly nonviolent simulation games."

Yeah, the root of video games is the board game so there's a lot of more cerebral stuff out there. Conflict on the mental level. Puzzle challenges. It's no big surprise, though, that those games don't represent the industry in the media. When we say "games are art" we're not talking about bejeweled or Axis and Allies :P

"But there's nothing to be said for the simulation? Psychologically speaking."

To be fair and honest (like FOX? Lol.) I don't care. I deal in stories. People are influenced and affected by many things. The goal of art, music, and books are to move people emotionally. An unstable person can be moved to violent action by a cruel remark from a peer, by an unusually rainy day, or a violent scene in a video game. It's not the job of culture to deal with the mentally ill, that is the job of science.

I would not choose to silence the voice of human experience even if it DID result in a more peaceful world. That peace is the winter of stagnation.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 11:02:14 AM PST
MrFoxhound says:
We're not talking about Call of Duty either.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 11:47:26 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 19, 2012 11:48:02 AM PST
Banner says:
It's not that I think silence is the answer. Just want to be knowledgeable, asespecially as a parent. There are things that are not good for me. Psychologically speaking so I am curious if simulation is any worse than artistic expression.

Poorly worded but does that make sense?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 12:01:08 PM PST
Banner says:
Interesting Nate. Thanks.

Posted on Dec 19, 2012 12:28:42 PM PST
"Psychologically speaking so I am curious if simulation is any worse than artistic expression. Poorly worded but does that make sense?"

Nah man, it makes sense. I guess it sounded jerky to say "I don't care". I guess what I mean is "I don't know." I'm not a psychologist and I can't tell you if simulated violence begets real violence. I suspect that anything you internalize can change you. I also suspect that a healthy mind can take in stimulus and process it to the point of understanding without being "corrupted" by it, so to speak.

I don't mind if people talk about the influence of media, if it was just us VGF folks it would be a harmless argument. The subtext of the national discussion, however, is one of censorship and control. That we should "do something about violence in media." I am strongly opposed to this idea. I think a lot of us are, and that's why we get so "butthurt" when the topic arises. We are not protecting our hobby from scrutiny, we are pre-empting its destruction.

Posted on Dec 19, 2012 4:55:04 PM PST
Real bullets hurt a lot!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 5:01:30 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 19, 2012 5:02:22 PM PST
Because we were originally primal beings and it's ingrained in our collective unconscious to kill and get satisfaction from the act of killing/hurting another being.

Posted on Dec 19, 2012 10:52:45 PM PST
Nicos says:
Because all entertainment throughout the ages have been violent. The Roman collesium. Mths and legends were all about violence and rape etc. Shakespeare's plays had people being murderd. Sports are just society-sanctioned violence. Classical and religous art has tons of paintings and sculpture depicting the violence that humans are capable of. The friggin' bible is chock ful of murder and mayhem. Humans are a pretty violent species by nature, but to have a peaceful society we have to suppress all those violent urges. Entertainment allows us to sublimate our violent tendencies in a safe and socially acceptable manner.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  33
Total posts:  122
Initial post:  Dec 19, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 19, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions