Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

Bioshock Infinite = 200 MILLION dollars

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 91 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 21, 2013 5:18:04 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 22, 2013 10:39:58 AM PDT
StriderNeo15 says:
"Developers, like Rockstar, have bragged in the past that games make more than films at the box office, so why not fund games like Hollywood does? 2K Games is doing just that by throwing nearly $200 million at BioShock Infinite, according to The New York Times which cited unnamed analysts. Not since Grand Theft Auto IV -- allegedly $100M and produced by 2K's owners Take-Two -- has so much money been thrown at a project

Around $100M was spent on Infinite's production and as much as another $100 will be spent on marketing. Remember when we were all gobsmacked that Gears of War cost $10 million? While game budgets have gone up, BioShock Infinite is pushing to the top of the list of most expensive productions. Shenmue ($94M in today's economy) says hi!

Destructoid recently reported that Ken Levine decided to axe the BioShock film when Universal declined its $200 million budget. I wondered where that ridiculously high number, usually reserved for major franchise sequels (Harry Potter, Transformers), came from. Well, it may have come from BioShock Infinite's budget. Hard to go back to a measly $80 mil, right guys!?

The exclusive review, generous pre-purchase offers, and massive marketing push around this game is all starting to make sense: 2K doesn't want to take any chances after investing so heavily in this risky venture. Even a 90+ Metacritic score and strong ad push may not be enough to make this bird fly. I sure hope so, as the resulting dialog among publishers may lead to less ambitious games in the future."

Read more at http://www.destructoid.com/bioshock-infinite-among-most-expensive-games-of-all-time-249310.phtml#XJmMZeTFXxvJ03oD.99

UPDATE!! IT'S ALL TRUE!!! THE VIDEOGAME INDUSTRY IS DOOMED! BIOSHOCK INFINITE IS GONNA BE TURRIBLE! GET OUT NOW!

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 21, 2013 5:20:41 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 21, 2013 5:22:21 PM PDT
Damn!

Posted on Mar 21, 2013 5:23:00 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 21, 2013 5:23:16 PM PDT
Sweet jegus.

I mean, you spend $250m on a film and you can sell tickets to everybody with eyes and a butt, but you spend $200m on a video game and you can sell it to how many people? Around 150m?

This just doesn't seem sensible.

Posted on Mar 21, 2013 5:24:04 PM PDT
"Not since Grand Theft Auto IV -- allegedly $100M and produced by 2K's owners Take-Two -- has so much money been thrown at a project"

Great research there.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 21, 2013 5:25:05 PM PDT
Well a movie doesn't cost $60.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 21, 2013 5:26:33 PM PDT
Well, upwards of 220 million, assuming no overlap between PS3 owners, 360 owners, Steam users, and Origin users.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 21, 2013 5:26:59 PM PDT
I know, but they sold something like 200m tickets to James Cameron's Avatar. Are they going to sell even 30m copies of Bioshock Infinite?

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 21, 2013 5:27:16 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 21, 2013 5:28:23 PM PDT
There is quite a bit of overlap between those groups, though. I mean, how many people here fall into more than one of those groups? Almost all of us, I would venture.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 21, 2013 5:27:32 PM PDT
How much of a movie ticket sale does the studio get? How much of a game sale does a publisher get?

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 21, 2013 5:27:49 PM PDT
I doubt it.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 21, 2013 5:28:37 PM PDT
Indeed. I'm one of the people that uses all four, so yeah.

Posted on Mar 21, 2013 5:36:17 PM PDT
Back of the napkin math indicates that they will need to sell at least 6m copies of Bioshock Infinite (more likely closer to about 7.5m copies) in order to BREAK EVEN.

I hope Bioshock Infinite is fantastic, and sells really well, but this just doesn't strike me as a wise investment.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 21, 2013 5:37:37 PM PDT
Do you keep napkins handy, just to use for math? :-)

I wonder how many limited editions they sold, and what the margins on those look like.

Posted on Mar 21, 2013 5:43:46 PM PDT
got mayo?™ says:
I call BS by 2K.

Posted on Mar 21, 2013 5:47:37 PM PDT
remember guys to take into account, that retailers/digital take their cut, console royalties and marketing

Posted on Mar 21, 2013 5:50:05 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 21, 2013 5:50:52 PM PDT
Zetirix says:
Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning supposedly cost $133m, and you seen what happened there.

I for one am passing on this one.

Posted on Mar 21, 2013 5:54:18 PM PDT
This sorta makes me feel compelled to buy the game. I'm like "oh you poor dumb bastards" and don't want to see them eat a loss.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 21, 2013 5:58:31 PM PDT
Huh? That makes no sense.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 21, 2013 6:01:13 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 21, 2013 6:01:59 PM PDT
Zetirix says:
What doesn't?

The fact they are spending way too much for the game to develop it? Or the fact I'm passing on it?

Something about it not being in Rapture turns me off for some reason. I am assuming you know that the company went bankrupt making Kingdoms of Amalur...

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 21, 2013 6:02:03 PM PDT
StriderNeo15 says:
Yeah and Bioshock Infinite has the backing of a publisher willing to shell out $200 million for a game.

Reckoning had Curt Schilling and a loan from Rhode Island.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 21, 2013 6:07:25 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 21, 2013 6:11:59 PM PDT
The exact cost of Amalur is sort of hard to figure out, since a ton of the work put into "Project Copernicus" was adapted to make "Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning" (as Reckoning grew out of a game Big Huge Games was already making when 38 acquired them). So 38 Studios just decided to adapt BHG's game into a prequel for their MMO.

So things like "paying R.A. Salvatore and Todd McFarlane to develop the setting" can probably be filed under "costs for the unreleased MMO."

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 21, 2013 6:07:54 PM PDT
Zetirix says:
So, Schilling and RI both wanted to shell out the cash... they underestimated how many copies they'd sell to recoup expenses.

Just because something is expensive, doesn't mean it should sell. I see it as a cautionary tale is all.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 21, 2013 6:08:02 PM PDT
I understand all that, but your post made it sound like the things were related. Like you weren't buying the game because another studio in an entirely different situation went bankrupt.

So if KoA had to sell 3 million to break even, I bet, given those numbers, BioShock Infinite can break even.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 21, 2013 6:10:20 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 21, 2013 6:11:15 PM PDT
Well, against the math for KoA is a little fuzzy since 38's deal with EA was not a standard publishing deal (38 retained the rights to the IP). So it's possible that the game itself was significantly cheaper than the $81-$102m that the "have to sell 3m to break even" number would suggest, it's just that EA demanded a larger cut because they didn't acquire the IP as part of the publishing deal.

Since the standard deal is "you publish it, and then you own it" and EA is a company run by accountants, they had to get something in exchange for not claiming the IP.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 21, 2013 6:10:50 PM PDT
Zetirix says:
Agreed. I am willing to venture that if folks think like I do (I know a lot don't, but still...) they'd want a long lasting game to pay top bucks for. I don't know about most folks, but I really didn't put a ton of hours into the first two Bioshock games, maybe 20?

I put in about 33 before my save file went kaput for Amalur... which I did pay full price for.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  27
Total posts:  91
Initial post:  Mar 21, 2013
Latest post:  Mar 25, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions