Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

Refreshing change: Expert on MSNBC demolishes link between violence and video games

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 34 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 9:14:10 AM PST
HorizonBrave says:
But that's how the media controls the masses right? You only need one failure case to convince people that games are doing harm to your kids.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 9:08:55 AM PST
Except in all cases, those stereotypes are only of the worst, extreme cases.

Posted on Dec 20, 2012 9:06:24 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 20, 2012 9:07:32 AM PST
HorizonBrave says:
We can't deny that games have become extremely violent, but that's also true for tons of forms of entertainment that have been around for much longer. Blaming video games for violence is ultra retarded.
In my opinion, the problem is how gamers, ourselves, have depicted gaming to society. We have the WoW losers that don't even eat to raid, gamers failing classes and achieving nothing at life because they decided to become shut-ins, the typical chubby guy that plays COD the whole day and never goes out, etc. etc.
Situations like that just act like bait for the interests of ignorant, powerful people, that take advantage on that terrible stereotype to justify violence in reality.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 8:12:22 AM PST
Arcade

Unless you're in the movie Arcade.

Posted on Dec 20, 2012 8:05:03 AM PST
"Video games don't kill people, people kill people."

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 7:50:51 AM PST
GUEST!! says:
Yeah, I remember.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 7:47:40 AM PST
Soulshine says:
Mmm that's very refreshing.

Not unlike a Junior Mint!

Posted on Dec 20, 2012 7:43:27 AM PST
FOGE says:
All of these people whining and crying for gun bans and a "reevaluation" on violence in video games will eventually get bored and move on to something else. People have such a short attention span today. A new American Idol episode would get half of them off their soapbox.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 7:41:08 AM PST
When he asked if the the woman who was also on the program had played the game, she scoffed at him, as if offended at the very idea.

Her recent (at the time) book then got a ton of 1-star reviews on Amazon from people who had never read it.

She later said she spent a couple hours watching someone play and it didn't have anything more offensive or graphics than what you can see during prime time cable.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 7:38:06 AM PST
And then, after his segment they had a commercial break. When they came back from that, there was a "panel" of people (not including him) going around talking about it.

Posted on Dec 20, 2012 7:36:07 AM PST
Kr155 says:
unfortunatly random mass killings have been going on long before video games. sadly even school shootings.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 7:22:37 AM PST
ChuChu Train says:
fiscal stiff! We went over the cliff a couple years ago. Trimming off a trillion or 5 over 10 years doesn't make sense anyways. What is that 100 billion a year reduction while we spend over a trillion a year like a drunk sailor?

Lemme park my boat under a waterfall and bail out the water with a spoon. Then add 1 spoon a year to remove water while the waterfall continues to grow in size increasing the flow of water.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 7:16:45 AM PST
FOGE says:
Its their fault that we are at the fiscal cliff.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 7:15:11 AM PST
ChuChu Train says:
Wait a minute... The side affect must come a generation later cuz thats what they did in the 60s and 70s! Zomg its baby boomers fault!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 7:08:20 AM PST
FOGE says:
Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 7:05:18 AM PST
GUEST!! says:
I remember that. I also remember them completely talking over him and ignoring everything he said, poor guy.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 9:20:15 PM PST
AndrewA says:
Fox news actually had geoff keighley on when they did the sex box mass effect thing. Surprisingly he was the only one who had played the game.

Posted on Dec 19, 2012 8:54:36 PM PST
GUEST!! says:
I realize the title doesn't carry the prestige of "Expert" on Fox News, but the guy's finally ignoring the hype in favor if a little common sense.

Posted on Dec 19, 2012 8:43:16 PM PST
Frank says:
Expert, in MSNBC, that really says a lot...

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 6:46:17 PM PST
Sad, lonely, violent. :'(

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 6:40:37 PM PST
I know. I was just giving you a hard time.

*pulls up couch*

Now how does that make you feel?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 6:34:55 PM PST
Of course I understand what you're saying, the Argument from Authority and all that. I was just talking about between okierj and a child psychologist who has a PHD, I'll listen to the guy with the PHD.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 6:29:17 PM PST
Bad idea. Trust the people with the research and knowledge to back up what they say.

Plenty of studies about this link are done by people with PhDs.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 6:01:20 PM PST
I think I'll trust the guy with the PHD over you, thanks.

Posted on Dec 19, 2012 5:51:33 PM PST
okierj says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  17
Total posts:  34
Initial post:  Dec 19, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 20, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions