Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

Let's be honest with ourselves: Video Games ARE violent.

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 122 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 19, 2012 9:04:12 AM PST
The Fox News article thread inspired me to start this thread.

You can't debate that video games are violent. You can't debate that Hollywood is violent. Do these things cause people to do violent things? The evidence is clear that there is no direct causal relationship. There may be an association for those crazies that do violent things, but there is no evidence of direct causation.

So my question is, why are we so obsessed with violence?

(I include myself in this...I love video games and Hollywood movies as much as anyone. I am just wondering what it is about our nature that draws us to violence)

Thoughts?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 9:06:24 AM PST
JWK says:
"So my question is, why are we so obsessed with violence?"

Because violence is more awesome than a bald eagle on fire holding a revolver in one claw and a 40 oz in the other.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 9:06:29 AM PST
That Emu Kid says:
Nature is incredibly violent.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 9:06:42 AM PST
Ice King says:
They're not all violent. I've been spending a lot of time playing Minecraft recently and all I do is make giant structures and tunnels connecting them. I even have it on peaceful so I don't have to worry about killing monsters.

Posted on Dec 19, 2012 9:07:42 AM PST
FOGE says:
Adam Sessler explained what I subconsciously knew on XPLAY about the First Person Shooter adoration. I dont enjoy shooting people. I enjoy being shot at. Its something I can safely experience in a video game that cant be done in real life. Its thrilling to try and dodge bullets. If they dont shoot at me, and I shoot unarmed people, Ill get bored. Thats not entertaining.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 9:08:10 AM PST
FOGE says:
If I ever started a gang, that would be my gang logo.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 9:08:59 AM PST
JWK says:
Right? You can't top that image.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 9:09:26 AM PST
R. Typo says:
Yep, and humans aren't quite as compassionate, civilized, or innocent as we like to pretend. 'Might is right' rules in nature, and often throughout the history of mankind.

Posted on Dec 19, 2012 9:09:35 AM PST
Soulshine says:
Games are super violent. One time when I opened a game, the cellophane wrapper almost suffocated me, I got a scrape from the case (it was definitely going for an artery), and the disc itself spit right in my face.

WHERE DID THAT SPIT COME FROM?!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 9:09:46 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 19, 2012 9:16:24 AM PST
Beau H. says:
I made that clear with my comment in the other thread.

There's no denying that video games have become radically more violent in the last decade. It's also fair to say that they (like other mediums) have an influence on peoples' behavior.

But, to outright blame the inanimate object for the actions of a person is foolish.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 9:09:53 AM PST
Agreed. Do you enjoy violent video games though? If so, why?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 9:11:50 AM PST
Soulshine says:
I never thought of that! But I agree. When I was a kid I'd load up all the nerf guns I had and have someone shoot them at me at the end of the hallway. Sometimes it was just more fun to try and dodge them than to actually shoot.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 9:12:14 AM PST
R. Typo says:
Most people can separate fiction from reality, I don't think there's any question about that. Games and movies don't make people violent, but they are a product of our culture, which is thrilled by violence in one way or another, it's not right or wrong, it just is.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 9:13:07 AM PST
JO MOMMA says:
or just as awesome as an eagle launching goats off a cliff and snatching baby's up

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 9:13:16 AM PST
WeScYdE says:
I would agree with this for most video games people love the thrill of doing what you cannot probably do without dying. Driving high speeds dodging in and out of traffic like need for speed, getting shot at and still prevailing to shoot the other person. Games like movies and music are just entertainment yet the only one on trial are video games at the moment which I do not understand but i am sure the others will be brought up soon enough. They put you in a sort or reality that when you are done you can walk away from without harm. Of course not all games are violent which should be expressed when they are being drug through the mud as a reason.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 9:14:22 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 19, 2012 9:19:13 AM PST
Ice King says:
Yes, I do. Because they're fun. I'm sorry I can't give a better answer than that, I just think simulated violence or crazy behavior can be very enjoyable.

Take Just Cause 2 for example. There will never be a scenario in real life where I'll be able to jump off a motorcycle into a car, then stand on the roof of that car while I shoot a grappling hook up to a helicopter that I then launch up to and throw the pilot out so I can fly it. Then when that's done, fly as high as I can and just jump out and not open my parachute until the last second.
Then do it all again.

But at the same time, real world violence sickens me. The few times I've been exposed to it have been horrific events in my life. I couldn't imagine doing any of the stuff I do in most games for real.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 9:14:36 AM PST
JO MOMMA says:
because its better then real life combat in Iraq or Afgan.

Posted on Dec 19, 2012 9:14:39 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 19, 2012 9:16:08 AM PST
It's a lot more civil than the gladiator days...

My dad let me watch the goriest kung fu movies growing up since I can remember. Hell, I remember watching ninja scroll before I was 10. Been watching gory movies ever since..

Grew up using atari to nintendo to sega, to dreamcast, N64 to PS2, to xbox..... and played all the violent games worth playing.

If there's anyone that should be eff'ed up from violent movies and video games that would be me.

I have zero feelings to go to some school and shoot a bunch of kids. And I think it's a sad blame game that people do to justify passing crappy laws that invade our rights.

It comes down to parenting and the people we hang out with. And the fact some people are just crazy.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 9:16:02 AM PST
R. Typo says:
The only times I hear ''games are on trial,'' or ''games are being persecuted,'' is on this forum, where nerds are overly paranoid and defensive about any and all things game related. It's a hobby that creates strange behavior sometimes, where people are looking for something to be passionate about and often times misplace it.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 9:17:04 AM PST
R. Typo says:
These cut and paste generic testimonials don't really offer anything.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 9:17:35 AM PST
Beau H. says:
A little more crudely than I would have stated it, but you're basically right.

Although, it's not fair to say that that mentality affects everyone on this forum...more like a select few.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 9:18:25 AM PST
100% agreed. That is what I mean by association vs. causation. We are a product of our choices, not our circumstances. We can be raised in the most abhorrent circumstances, but still choose to be good human beings. Pundits will argue this factor or that factor contributing to some sort of behavior--and while they may be somewhat right, human beings make choices of their own free will. A video game can in no way make someone kill another person.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 9:19:58 AM PST
Yeah. neither does your opinion. so what's your point?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 9:21:34 AM PST
While I cannot speak as to why violence is popular with Hollywood I can try my best to try my hand at video games. One of the most easy to understand and overt obsticales is someone attacking you. In practically any context it is easy to understand. The most straight forward way of dealing with this is to take out the threat hence the violence.

In short violence is a good way to present the aspect of gameplay since it is almost universally understood by the player and is quickly adopted without confusion.

Posted on Dec 19, 2012 9:21:54 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 19, 2012 9:23:25 AM PST
Lucanus says:
Not only are games violent, but graphically things are getting pretty detailed. There is no doubt violence generally sells well, just look at sales data for GTA, CoD, Gears, Halo, Uncharted, God of War, etc. I hear a lot of people refering to the violent games they grew up on, but really it isn't the same. Games are fair more realistic today than they were back in the day. I will admit I do enjoy my violent videogames, not sure why. I just do. Though I also like non violent games as well, so maybe I just like games. :)

"There's no denying that video games have become radically more violent in the last decade. It's also fair to say that they (like other mediums) have an influence on peoples' behavior.

But, to outright blame the inanimate object for the actions of a person is foolish. "

Well stated, I agree 100%.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  33
Total posts:  122
Initial post:  Dec 19, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 19, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions