Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

Levine Explains Why BioShock Movie Wasn't Made

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-15 of 15 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 12, 2013 1:24:31 PM PDT
http://www.gamenguide.com/articles/5533/20130312/what-happened-bioshock-movie.htm

-----------------

The original "Bioshock" was a dark and moody take on Ayn Rand's philosphy run wild. Sounds perfect for a movie, right?

Talking at question and answer session at a BAFTA event in London on Monday night Ken Levine, co-founder of Irrational Games, the developer behind the Bioshock series and the upcoming "Bioshock: Infinite," explained how the failure of "The Watchmen" coupled with a change in directors lead to the project being killed. As Edge reports:

"There was a deal in place and it was actually in production at Universal and Gore Verbinski was directing it. And what happened was - this is my theory - is was a very big movie and Gore was very excited about it and he wanted to make a very dark, what he would call a hard rated horror film - an R rated film with alot of blood. Then "The Watchmen" came out - and I really liked "The Watchmen" - but it didn't do well for whatever reason and the studio got cold feet about making an R rated $200 million film."

"So they said `Gore, what about it if it was an $80 million film' and enough time had gone by where Gore didn't want to make an $80 million dollar film. And so they brought another director in and I didn't really see the match there - Take 2 is one of those companies that gives alot of trust to their creative people and so they said to me `if you want to kill it Ken, kill it'. And I killed it."

"Which was weird, having been a screenwriter going around begging to re-write any script to being in a position where you're killing a movie that you worked so much on. It was saying - you know what, I don't need to compromise. I had the ["Bioshock"] world and the world existed and I didn't what to see it done in a way I didn't think was right."

This is not the first time Verbinski's has had a video game related projected cancelled. "Matter," a Kinect exclusive meant to get gamers to feel emotions previously unexpressed in games, was cancelled last week.

-----------------

Posted on Mar 12, 2013 1:31:45 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 12, 2013 1:33:33 PM PDT
MrFoxhound says:
"Basically, we couldn't get the movie poster to convey to fratboys that they should come see this movie, and since they are the driving force behind our industry, as evidenced by our Bioshock Infinite cover, we knew that the movie would be a flop."-Ken Levine

Seriously though a Bioshock movie for $80 million dollars? Not unless it's going to be like 300 was and it's all green screen with no sets, and that would look terrible. It would cost $50 million just to do the game justice in sets and giving the appearance of being on the ocean floor.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 12, 2013 1:36:01 PM PDT
Speaking of which, he actually made a rant about that cover art at the BAFTA 195 theatre.

http://www.explosion.com/24354/bioshock-infinite-box-cover-meaningless-says-ken-levine/

I find it interesting that the game's coverage was both in this:

http://www.bafta.org/venue-hire/

and this:

http://instagram.com/p/WvVsqiKi99/

Posted on Mar 12, 2013 1:38:11 PM PDT
Ice King says:
All I can picture when I think of a Bioshock movie is the last scene involving a jumping punch to Andrew Ryan's face, causing him to fall back into a reactor while screaming "NOOOOOO!".

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 12, 2013 1:41:44 PM PDT
OBEYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted on Mar 12, 2013 1:48:34 PM PDT
DVvM says:
Was anyone really excited to see a Bioshock movie? I mean, I like Bioshock, and I like movies, but I find it hard to get excited about a video game movie.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 12, 2013 1:56:18 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 12, 2013 2:04:52 PM PDT
Personally, I don't want really want a BioShock movie, unless it's done with excellent actors and directed by an equally excellent director. I mean, most are well aware of my love of BioShock, so a movie would have to be of extremely high quality for me to enjoy it.

Also, I think one reason why I find that franchise special is my own personal experience with the game, and being able to directly be a part of Rapture, would most definitely be taken away if it were a movie. Who knows, film certainly has its own unique qualities as well, so translating it to the big screen could definitely work. I just want talented people to do so.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 12, 2013 1:57:10 PM PDT
Someone never saw Double Dragon!

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 12, 2013 2:06:11 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 12, 2013 2:07:43 PM PDT
Easily ranked with Super Mario Bros as the most faithful video game movie ever produced! Why Double Dragon , starting twin brothers Jimmy and Billy Lee (played by Mark Dacascos and Scott Wolf), hasn't been released on Blu-ray is still a mystery to me! The actors looked like real twins!!!

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 12, 2013 2:24:40 PM PDT
The only way it'd be better is if Uwe Boll got a hold of it.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 12, 2013 2:41:48 PM PDT
A man can dream...

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 12, 2013 2:49:33 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 12, 2013 2:49:44 PM PDT
Anthony says:
...just for that, i sentence you to watch 24 straight hours of House of the Dead, while being tied to a chair, with your eyes forced open, with no sleep.

followed by an additional 72 hours of bloodrayne 2.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 12, 2013 2:56:17 PM PDT
What's the difference between a duck?

Posted on Mar 12, 2013 4:34:07 PM PDT
Just got an official BioShock Infinite t-shirt.

Two weeks!

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 13, 2013 10:35:22 AM PDT
Nicos says:
Actually you could just make it about a guy who worked on the boilers or whatever in Rapture.. Just film it in the basement of some building and have the guy have these long weird monologues about how he was a captain of industry and he now has to fix pipes. At the end you just toss a couple of buckets of water around and have the guy drown and BOOM Boffo Box Office.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  8
Total posts:  15
Initial post:  Mar 12, 2013
Latest post:  Mar 13, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions