Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

Sony tried to get Baldur's Gate: EE on PSN

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 32 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 17, 2012 7:41:07 AM PST
http://www.shacknews.com/article/76686/baldurs-gate-enhanced-interview-making-a-classic-better

<snip>
Shacknews: How much thought was there (if any) given to making the game for PS3 or Xbox 360?

Oster: We were approached by Sony to bring the game to PSN, so I counter-proposed what I thought it would cost for us to do it right. For me, to make BG:EE a good experience on a console would require a very heavy redesign for the entire control and input scheme. We're big fans of Baldur's Gate, so we want the game to be great. Without a large scale effort we just could not make a product we could be proud of and Sony decided not to proceed. I believe they wanted to proceed with a quality product, but we just couldn't make the numbers work.

Posted on Nov 17, 2012 7:48:05 AM PST
While I am all for as many people as possible experiencing great games, I would be hesitant to suggest this game on a console. Just look at what they did with the Dungeon Siege series when they brought it over. The first 2 were awesome PC games, but when they changed it around enough to be playable on console it removed the soul from the game.

Posted on Nov 17, 2012 7:54:10 AM PST
uncledonnie3 says:
Dungeon Siege 3 was absolutely awful. My friend and I couldn't even be bothered to finish it.

Posted on Nov 17, 2012 8:20:02 AM PST
I found DS3 to be an enjoyable couch co-op action RPG.

That said, I never played the first two games.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2012 8:22:10 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 17, 2012 8:23:19 AM PST
K Archer says:
Yeah, the first two were so much better then the third. Played through 2 at least 5 or 6 times with an archer...and pretty much the same party...Liked it too much and it worked well.

EDIT: But yeah...to play any of the old Forgotten Realms games with a controller...just fail. It doesn't work.

Posted on Nov 17, 2012 8:29:28 AM PST
user22 says:
The core Baldur's Gate games were designed for PC and should remain for PC. However, I would love if Sony could get Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance and Dark Alliance II HD remakes. Preferably together on one disc, but I would probably be content with them on PSN at least.

Posted on Nov 17, 2012 8:45:55 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 17, 2012 8:51:43 AM PST
StriderNeo15 says:
This would have been cool.

Btw, why are we using Dungeon Seige 3 as a comparison to consoles when we have Dragon Age: Origins?

Posted on Nov 17, 2012 8:58:28 AM PST
DVvM says:
I really don't want to play Baldur's Gate with a controller, to be honest. When you make a Baldur's Gate game that controls reasonably well on consoles, you end up with Dragon Age: Origins. But it's going to take a lot (of money and time) to turn BG into Dragon Age: Pre-Origins.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2012 9:03:17 AM PST
It would make too much sense to release a BG:DA/DA2 HD combo. They don't want our money. Every once in a while, I see a rumor start to circulate that a dev house has started creating a new one but I refuse to believe that will ever happen. Maybe if the did release a combo, we could prove to the publishers that we want another one.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2012 9:23:29 AM PST
K Archer says:
Because DA is watered-down compared to the games BG is part of.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2012 9:25:14 AM PST
StriderNeo15 says:
That's great, I still personally think it's bullshit to think that any PC game couldn't work on a console, especially if the controls are entirely redone like this company wanted to do.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2012 9:31:01 AM PST
K Archer says:
The problem is, the game isn't really the same then.

I had a lot more fun playing DA:O on my PC then on my PS3. It worked a lot better and was just more fun.

BG is, plain and simple, a PC game. You need more then what a controller can offer. You need a mouse and keyboard for it to work properly. To completely re-work it to run on the consoles...you might as well just make a new game entirely.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2012 9:32:21 AM PST
StriderNeo15 says:
It doesn't have to be the same, it just has to work.

The PSN version would be for people who don't have the PC version, and they wouldn't know the difference.

I'm fairly certain X-Com couldn't work with a controller either could it?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2012 9:33:56 AM PST
I'm pretty dang sure that many people who would have purchased in on PSN would be a lot of the same people who had played the games on PC back in the day so they would know the difference.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2012 9:35:36 AM PST
StriderNeo15 says:
I guess, so they could come on message boards and declare how much the company ruined it. I don't really see any other reason.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2012 9:50:56 AM PST
user22 says:
Well the thing is, it probably wouldn't be easy to gain the rights to make a combo. Dark Alliance was developed by Snowblind Studios(now merged with Monolith Productions) and Dark Alliance II was developed by Black Isle Studios. Before they were closed down in 2003, Black Isle Studios was planning to make a Dark Alliance III. Fortunately, they were reopened this past August, so it is possible that they'll go back to working on the cancelled Dark Alliance III.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2012 9:55:30 AM PST
Whatsoever company releases a good Dark Alliance game will have claim to $60+ of my dollars. If it's a launch title for a console, I will day one that console. My god, my wife and I spent buccu hours playing these, plus the EQ PS2 games.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2012 9:58:43 AM PST
It could certainly work. It just wouldn't be the same gameplay experience. I mean, look at the DA games for examples. Or, look at BG on the PC and BG on the PS2.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2012 9:59:08 AM PST
StriderNeo15 says:
Did you buy Lord of the Rings: War in the North?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2012 10:00:30 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 17, 2012 10:01:35 AM PST
StriderNeo15 says:
Well personally for me Im mostly interested in old CRPGs like BG and Planescape Torment for the story-telling, so as long as that would remain unchanged, which I don't see why it wouldn't; I couldn't care less if the gameplay was "dumbed" down or changed.

edit: It's a moot point regardless, since it's not going to happen; but it still stands, according to the above article, that the developers said it could work, Sony was just not willing to make the investment.

Why should I trust a few normally negative and condescending VGF posters over people that make these games for a living?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2012 10:07:35 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 17, 2012 10:08:37 AM PST
user22 says:
Same here. I became a huge fan of Snowblind Studios after playing the first Dark Alliance. They also developed the EQ PS2 games(Champions of Norrath, Champions: Return to Arms). I would love to have an HD combo of those too.

Have you played Lord of the Rings: War in the North? It was also developed by Snowblind Studios and is a similar hack and slash RPG. You and your wife would probably enjoy it as well if you haven't yet.

Edit: StriderNinja15

Posted on Nov 17, 2012 10:09:50 AM PST
Yeah, we've gotten WinN and it was fun. It just didn't feel the same with the way the camera was angled. I really want it to go back to iso view.

Posted on Nov 17, 2012 10:32:27 AM PST
Baldur's Gate doesn't need to be dumbed down because it was ridiculously simple to begin with. I think people are wearing nostalgia glasses, because Dragon's Age is waaaay more complex than BG. Does anyone remember playing a fighter in AD&D second edition? You rolled stats and picked weapon profs and THAT'S IT. No cross-class combos, no skills, no abilities (super high-level characters got a bit of a 3rd edition preview with whirlwind, etc). Mages got like one or two spell casts per rest period and were practically useless in combat after spells were cast.

I love Baldur's Gate and all, but there's a reason that the modern RPG has continued to evolve and one of those reasons is THAC0 ;)

I think the Neverwinter series is probably the pinnacle of the deep CRPG experience, but to get that level of customization they really butchered the story and sidequests. The best thing about Baldurs was some of the crazy things you could see off the beaten path. People mostly remember the characters like Minsk and Jon Irenicus, and the legacy of those great characters lives on in Bioware games.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2012 10:37:26 AM PST
user22 says:
How about Justice League Heroes? I haven't played it yet myself, but it too was developed by Snowblind and uses the Dark Alliance Engine.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2012 10:38:14 AM PST
K Archer says:
Who the heck played as a straight-up Fighter? Seriously, I don't see any good reason to do that (outside of role-playing). Play as a magic-based class (duel-class fighter/mage is the best IMO) and you won't be looking at something very simplistic...of course, you're going to need them anyway if you want to get through the game...
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Video Games forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Final Fantasy XV is only 50-60% complete...won't be out for a while. 25 2 minutes ago
Why are gamers going to let Nintendo rip them off over Super Smash Bros? 17 2 minutes ago
I started playing Wolfenstein and it made me realize something about Destiny. 57 4 minutes ago
OT: PSA - Pink Floyd "Endless River" new album now up for pre-order 21 4 minutes ago
No Matter What Microsoft does, the Xbox One is Doomed to Fail 2 6 minutes ago
Does any here still get any physical gaming magazines? 30 6 minutes ago
Super Smash Brothers Appreciation Thread 219 8 minutes ago
Destiny wasn't reviewed by Jim from destructoid.com 9 10 minutes ago
Destiny Angry Review 249 14 minutes ago
Made a little arcade-y Android game: Ice Cream Factory 22 18 minutes ago
Do you think Sunset Overdrive will succeed or fail? 60 21 minutes ago
OT: Sick of ebay fees, anyone sell anything here on Amazon? 12 21 minutes ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  9
Total posts:  32
Initial post:  Nov 17, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 17, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions